Feliks Audio ENVY
May 24, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #7,051 of 7,322
I wouldn’t. Bliss changed by a mile after 100h. Whats unusual here is that it took 450h of break in, which is a lot. And if thats the case, its something that should been done by the manu.
450h also seems to be ballpark for WE break in, coincidence?

May 24, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #7,052 of 7,322
I wouldn’t. Bliss changed by a mile after 100h. Whats unusual here is that it took 450h of break in, which is a lot. And if thats the case, its something that should been done by the manu.
How the hell you guys are counting?
I use my equipment so randomly that after a week I cannot tell any more which was used 4 hours, which 40.

450 hours are more than 2.5 weeks continuos burning. Or 56 working days. Crazy.

May 24, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #7,053 of 7,322
Makes me wonder why the narrative changed all of a sudden. The Envy is a very good amp that they didn't give much credit. After a few people mention that they have never heard grain, the test unit may need more time on it, and several other reviewers who have reviewed both, clearly place Envy ahead of the Cayin, now they are saying it bests the Cayin in many categories.

I'm glad they are starting to appreciate the Envy but definitely makes me question how 3 people that were adamant about their observations to the point where they all agreed that the Cayin was better are now saying the opposite.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Cynical people, like me, would assume that the "leaks" of their review, had a controversial take on it. And after they realized that next to nobody shares that opinion and if they were to release a review like that, they'd lose all credibility as reviewer.
Now they needed a reason for a 180 in opinion, and there it is, magical non verifiable burn in!
Well since it's not the case, nothing is done by the manufacturer.

May 24, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #7,054 of 7,322
Makes me wonder why the narrative changed all of a sudden. The Envy is a very good amp that they didn't give much credit. After a few people mention that they have never heard grain, the test unit may need more time on it, and several other reviewers who have reviewed both, clearly place Envy ahead of the Cayin, now they are saying it bests the Cayin in many categories.

I'm glad they are starting to appreciate the Envy but definitely makes me question how 3 people that were adamant about their observations to the point where they all agreed that the Cayin was better are now saying the opposite.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
All three people in CMA chat been listening to the same unit at Kojis place I believe. I think at this point the claim that there is any grain can be debunked as issue of insufficient break in of demo units either way.

May 24, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #7,055 of 7,322
Well I'm really happy with the amp and it have listening less than 450h. Looking forward the next mind-blowing experience

But I guess this 450h comes form tubes burn in. I Have had many audio gear and usually the sound get settled in 50-150h

May 24, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #7,056 of 7,322
Well since it's not the case, nothing is done by the manufacturer

Is it so? I believe several people with zero stakes in the game not spending a cent on the unit, are worth listening too, especially when one of those is a rather reputable reviewer in the scene.

I think its good when new people who try Envy are aware that their ffreshly bought unit might need some break in, before they draw any conclusions. Not every criticism is bad, sometimes it can be rather useful, especially when you really like the brand.

Assuming that there is any serious financial gain in „leaking“ negative info is tinfoil hat territory in my books considering how small the audio review youtube channel is, as long as there are no obvious brand promotions (hello Golden), those are mere audio gear enthusiasts like the rest of us.

But I guess this 450h comes form tubes burn in. I Have had many audio gear and usually the sound get settled in 50-150h

Nope, they rolled different sets of tubes on their unit all the time

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #7,057 of 7,322
@ThanatosVI about your profile picture .... are you running FullMusic tubes in your Customer AE :)

edit: not saying that there is something wrong with FM tubes

Sorry, bad joke :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #7,058 of 7,322
@ThanatosVI about your profile picture .... are you running FullMusic tubes in your Customer AE :)

edit: not saying that there is something wrong with FM tubes

Sorry, bad joke :)
The profile picture ist still my old Performance Edition, stock with Fullmusic tubes :wink:
Didn't change it yet. Something for the ToDo list

May 24, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #7,059 of 7,322
The profile picture ist still my old Performance Edition, stock with Fullmusic tubes :wink:
Didn't change it yet. Something for the ToDo list
Fullmusic is pretty good actually. I just changed to WE and besides being more refined (especially in the mids), I think my 1266 was performing better with the Fullmusic. I feel that WE is causing some bass distortion, depending on the recording. Maybe it needs burn in time before I can judge 🤣

May 24, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #7,060 of 7,322
Fullmusic is pretty good actually. I just changed to WE and besides being more refined (especially in the mids), I think my 1266 was performing better with the Fullmusic. I feel that WE is causing some bass distortion, depending on the recording. Maybe it needs burn in time before I can judge 🤣
Western Electric’s 300B Application Note:

“The filament of a Western Electric 300B is aged or “burned-in” for nine hours following strict procedures established by Bell Laboratories engineers. While this initial duration is sufficient to meet quality control standards, a 300B sometimes requires additional time, in some cases up to 500 hours, to reach its full potential during music playback”

May 24, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #7,061 of 7,322
Western Electric’s 300B Application Note:

“The filament of a Western Electric 300B is aged or “burned-in” for nine hours following strict procedures established by Bell Laboratories engineers. While this initial duration is sufficient to meet quality control standards, a 300B sometimes requires additional time, in some cases up to 500 hours, to reach its full potential during music playback”
Should reach that 500 hours by the end of summer...

May 24, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #7,062 of 7,322
7hrs run, 1hr cool... x3.. x24 days. Job done. 😉

May 24, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #7,064 of 7,322
In my very limited experience, firmly in the deny camp. Put two tubes with opposing synergy in and it's not a great experience. Good tube matching I'd guess is maybe even more important than the electronics inside.

May 24, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #7,065 of 7,322
Who will agree with this and who will deny it? - A good amp does not need tube rolling to work at its best and does not change so much when you use different tubes.
A good amp will sound good even with cheap stock tubes, but will improve and sound great with a great pair of tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back