Feliks Audio ENVY
Jun 22, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #3,751 of 6,869
What should i aim for tubes ( Elrog etc ) that price friendly 😃.
Of course Elrogs are amazing but yes very pricey. It's a shame they are so expensive really but they probably are the best available.

For driver tubes - Quad brimars may well be the best value I think. They are very detailed but not as unforgiving as the Melz. They are definitely in my top 3 or maybe 2 (with the Melz).

The only issue is a slight hum but overall I they are wonderful IMHO.

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6j5g-l63-brimar-nos-valve-tube/

+

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20401505...AKhRTzZSRi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

8-PIN to 8-PIN socket savers are also needed as well as some of the smaller tubes are fiddly to fit otherwise

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/various-tube-adapters

Deyan also makes some good adapters but the Woo ones are super.

There are some other quad drivers others like a lot but they are a lot more pricey. Personally I would like to try some of them over time as well.

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #3,752 of 6,869
As for "price friendly" drivers the Linlai E-6SN7 Elite are really good.

Or even the S4A 6SN7. (More energetic but less spacious than the Linlais)

Jun 22, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #3,753 of 6,869
There are some other quad drivers others like a lot but they are a lot more pricey. Personally I would like to try some of them over time as well.
Try finding yourself a Quad of these. Similar price or cheaper than the Brimars. I ended up buying in two pairs as they rarely come up as a quad. There is a pair on eBay from a seller I have bought from before.

IMG_0968.jpeg
IMG_0969.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #3,755 of 6,869
Now do I get a free toaster or anything for joining the cult?

Only got a few minutes with them (the MO) and the 1578 before I had to rush out. The bass is just insane. A punchiness I've not heard from the Envy yet. I also love how brightly they light up. Definitely won't be getting enough sleep tonight.
elrog.jpg

Jun 22, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #3,757 of 6,869
I've heard the SE and 4-pin XLR output have the same volume, but is it also the case that both outputs are the same in terms of sound quality? I assume so but just want to check people's experiences.
Personally I don't hear a difference.

Can it be used to power 2 headphones at once? I've had other amps with less power which can.

Jun 23, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #3,758 of 6,869
Personally I don't hear a difference.

Can it be used to power 2 headphones at once? I've had other amps with less power which can.
From some communication I had with the folks at Feliks:
..generally both XLR and RCA output have the same power, we do not recommend to use them at the same time for the potential loss of quality (e.g. 2 headphones connected at the same time, one to xlr one to rca

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #3,759 of 6,869
From some communication I had with the folks at Felix:
..generally both XLR and RCA output have the same power, we do not recommend to use them at the same time for the potential loss of quality (e.g. 2 headphones connected at the same time, one to xlr one to rca
Interesting.

I do admit I used both the Meze Elite and Meze Empyrean at the same time and I didn't notice any loss in quality but then they are both very very easy to drive.

I'd imagine this is probably true for harder to drive headphones though.

Jun 23, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #3,760 of 6,869
Now do I get a free toaster or anything for joining the cult?

Only got a few minutes with them (the MO) and the 1578 before I had to rush out. The bass is just insane. A punchiness I've not heard from the Envy yet. I also love how brightly they light up. Definitely won't be getting enough sleep tonight.
elrog.jpg
Enjoy.

One of my favourite combos. Everything is dialled up to 11.

Those Melz look nice and clean as well

Jun 23, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #3,761 of 6,869
Interesting.

I do admit I used both the Meze Elite and Meze Empyrean at the same time and I didn't notice any loss in quality but then they are both very very easy to drive.

I'd imagine this is probably true for harder to drive headphones though.

That is very much possible as my questions to them was related to Susvara

I didn’t specifically ask about it he just mentioned it in the email

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #3,762 of 6,869
Hello Headfiers.
Any HoloAudio Bliss and Susvara owners here? How would you compare Envy against Bliss driving the Susvaras?

I am evaluating getting the Envy but I am trying to figure out if I should keep the Bliss. So far with my current headphones, Verite Closed and Utopias (easier to drive), I see the Bliss only as a side grade to my Euforia AE (with the right tubes), the difference is not that big, but when it comes to drive picky headphones like the Susvara, the Bliss seems to be one of the top recommendations. Or the Envy gifted with god's Elrogs rules them all?. The only thing I know is the Bliss can output 12 Watts while the Envy only 8 Watts, which for some seems not enough for getting the full potential of the Sussies.

What haven been your experience with the previous?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #3,763 of 6,869
Hello Headfiers.
Any HoloAudio Bliss and Susvara owners here? How would you compare Envy against Bliss driving the Susvaras?

I am evaluating getting the Envy but I am trying to figure out if I should keep the Bliss. So far with my current headphones, Verite Closed and Utopias (easier to drive), I see the Bliss only as a side grade to my Euforia AE (with the right tubes), the difference is not that big, but when it comes to drive picky headphones like the Susvara, the Bliss seems to be one of the top recommendations. Or the Envy gifted with god's Elrogs rules them all?. The only thing I know is the Bliss can output 12 Watts while the Envy only 8 Watts, which for some seems not enough for getting the full potential of the Sussies.

What haven been your experience with the previous?

You need an amp which can do a peak to peak volt swing of 22V for the Sus, which is 8W at 60 ohm. Dont need 12W.

This guy measured the Vp-p for dynamic swings at an ideal volume was 10.48V at the output of his amp. Of course, if you want to add 6dB more then you'll need 21V swings, so 8W@60ohm exceeds it.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...iew-and-measurements.4462/page-10#post-344694

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #3,764 of 6,869
You need an amp which can do a peak to peak volt swing of 22V for the Sus, which is 8W at 60 ohm. Dont need 12W.

This guy measured the Vp-p for dynamic swings at an ideal volume was 10.48V at the output of his amp. Of course, if you want to add 6dB more then you'll need 21V swings, so 8W@60ohm exceeds it.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...iew-and-measurements.4462/page-10#post-344694
While I confidently say the Envy has more than enough power for the Susvara.

Talking about the absolute Peaks would also mean that it has like 5% distortion. I have no 1st hand experience (and never will, I don't listen that loud) but would assume that 5% distortion is actually audible. (Not necessarily bad but audible)

At the same time going only 3db lower reduces it to <1% distortion

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #3,765 of 6,869
While I confidently say the Envy has more than enough power for the Susvara.

Talking about the absolute Peaks would also mean that it has like 5% distortion. I have no 1st hand experience (and never will, I don't listen that loud) but would assume that 5% distortion is actually audible. (Not necessarily bad but audible)

At the same time going only 3db lower reduces it to <1% distortion

Yes, but do we care if distortion is 5% on a tube amp? Not sure how the Bliss would sound if driving 22V into the Susvara, whether it clips (instantly distorts to ungodly levels) or is stable at say 5% distortion.

Ps. The 12W rating of the Bliss is at 32ohm so, its around 6W at 60ohm.

But honestly, I dont think you need 22V swings into Sus, no one listens that loud.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back