Feliks Audio ENVY
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #3,722 of 6,869
Jun 20, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #3,723 of 6,869
I indeed have done this. As good as the CFA3 is it doesn’t compare to the Envy, and that’s before you fall in the tube rolling rabbit hole. Trust me you won’t be disappointed if you upgrade.
I have the CFA3 and absolutely love it...if I was to look to a tube option the envy would be at the top of the list

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #3,724 of 6,869
The other questions is... how well does a ER300B'd Envy stack up against the Enleum AMP-23R?

Jun 20, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #3,726 of 6,869
Well I’d take even stock Envy over that. Envy with great tubes stands well with Bliss.
Have you actually auditioned an AMP-23R?

I don't rate the Holo Bliss, if its anything like the Ferrum OOR (but with more power), which the AMP-23R wiped the floor with.

Jun 21, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #3,728 of 6,869
Yes absolutely - all through the Envy.

The Tambaqui was wonderful - they were all wonderful really it's just a matter of taste/presentation. It sounded very detailed indeed but all with a touch of smoothness/finesse.

One thing I do regret is not trying that MU1 with the Bartok or Tambaqui as I think it would have been amazing in both cases and it would have given me a chance to determine exactly what influence that MU1 had on the sound. Maybe I need another session!

Sure I could turn off the Grimm oversampling which gave me a general idea of the Dave sounded without the Grimm and it was still good but it lost some of the magic. I guess it must be similar to what the M-Scaler adds to the Dave.

The combination of raw detail, separation, soundstage, hard hitting bass, beautiful midrange (just all of the superlatives) was delivered in a non-fatiguing, natural way. It was the best thing i've ever heard.

Now that setup has become my goal but it will take probably two years to attain.
If you can find a dCS Network Bridge (though now discontinued) it is an excellent combination with the Dave. The MU1 is slightly better, but I would not overlook the bridge (if you can even find one). Grimm MU1 + Dave handily beats M-Scaler + Dave for me. The MU1 is more highly resolved, but provides an engaging ease and flow to the music with the Dave. I also remember DAC hunting and it is fun! I listened to some of the "top" from dCS, Playback Designs, and MSB. My absolute favorite combination has been the Grimm MU1 with the Tambaqui. You should definitely try that combo if you get a chance. A lot of the design philosophies and school of thought are very similar. Not to mention Bruno Putzeys was also at Grimm Audio. I have a high suspicion that the Grimm MU2 "Major DAC" is pretty much taking a stab at the Tambaqui and represents an interesting value proposition. I would keep an eye on that for sure.

Jun 21, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #3,729 of 6,869
Many prefer Bliss over Amp23R. I among them. More detail and better tuning are the general idea, but both amps are good, depending on preference. Envy hangs with both of them easily, and with good tubes, you can make it many different amps as good as Bliss or Amp23R.

Fair enough, I personally thought the speed / effortlessness, clarity and tuning of the AMP-23R was much better than the OOR in my own audition. Not having heard the Bliss, GoldenSound says it is slightly better than OOR which doesn't mean much.

Anyway, in terms of the Envy I am hoping it is drastically better than OOR or Bliss, as krude puts it in the Bliss thread, a tube amp is just that much better with dynamic drivers. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/holo-audio-bliss.964155/post-17516124

I have Utopia '22s so look like I'll have to go and audition the Envy soon. But Tambaqui first.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #3,730 of 6,869
If you can find a dCS Network Bridge (though now discontinued) it is an excellent combination with the Dave. The MU1 is slightly better, but I would not overlook the bridge (if you can even find one). Grimm MU1 + Dave handily beats M-Scaler + Dave for me. The MU1 is more highly resolved, but provides an engaging ease and flow to the music with the Dave. I also remember DAC hunting and it is fun! I listened to some of the "top" from dCS, Playback Designs, and MSB. My absolute favorite combination has been the Grimm MU1 with the Tambaqui. You should definitely try that combo if you get a chance. A lot of the design philosophies and school of thought are very similar. Not to mention Bruno Putzeys was also at Grimm Audio. I have a high suspicion that the Grimm MU2 "Major DAC" is pretty much taking a stab at the Tambaqui and represents an interesting value proposition. I would keep an eye on that for sure.
Thanks for that.
Yes I am curious about the MU2 as well but maybe it it might be "too many features in the one box". Awesome if they pull it off though.

I know the Tambaqui + MU1 is very popular as well so once the Susvara are paid up I think I'll have another session.

Jun 21, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #3,731 of 6,869
My Elrog's are finally coming in tomorrow! Real curious what they will sound like compared to the original and the Western Electric.
Well, no package in sight. Fedex is full of ****.

Jun 21, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #3,732 of 6,869
Fair enough, I personally thought the speed / effortlessness, clarity and tuning of the AMP-23R was much better than the OOR in my own audition. Not having heard the Bliss, GoldenSound says it is slightly better than OOR which doesn't mean much.

Anyway, in terms of the Envy I am hoping it is drastically better than OOR or Bliss, as krude puts it in the Bliss thread, a tube amp is just that much better with dynamic drivers. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/holo-audio-bliss.964155/post-17516124

I have Utopia '22s so look like I'll have to go and audition the Envy soon. But Tambaqui first.
I own the Ferrum stack and it’s no contest against the Envy. To me the Oor is good but not in the same league as the Envy.

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #3,733 of 6,869
I own the Ferrum stack and it’s no contest against the Envy. To me the Oor is good but not in the same league as the Envy.

Awesome! Also, I see you've got the Utopia '22s as well. Can I get you impressions on its pairing with Envy? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back