Feliks Audio ENVY
Feb 15, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #181 of 7,041
The Envy arrived yesterday. What a mighty parcel! I will need another week or two until I can finish a more in-depth write-up comparing it to my Euforia (non-AE). One thing I will say already - it sounds absolutely magical and beyond what I could imagine 300B tubes could do in a headphone rig. It is jaw-dropping (so is the price!) and definitely the most resolving yet musical amplifier I have ever heard PERIOD. I can't take my Empyrean off my head, it is such good it's virtually distracting at first.
Envy - Empyrean, one of the most interesting combos. Looking forward to your detailed impressions

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #182 of 7,041
Envy - Empyrean, one of the most interesting combos. Looking forward to your detailed impressions
I did already listen to a few songs with the Stellia and the T1.2 - well, it does sound very good. However, I think the Empyrean is the most magical pairing with this amp (of the headphones I own, see signature). Quick impressions on the Envy-Empy (compared to the rest of the amps I have previously listened to most of the times):
  1. very natural overall timbre, vocals sound even more pleasingly beautiful and refined
  2. perfectly accurate staging and depth to the stage
  3. strong, dry and accurate bass which blends in very nicely while remaining absolute clarity, separation and punch, absolutely no mud in lower mid or bass frequency range

I feel there is so much more that I can't yet describe because I am lacking experience with this amp - especially since I only listened to digital sources so far - and I am an analogue guy! Most of the records I have absolutely blow Tidal or other digitally available formats out of the water. But for the sake of ease I decided I will put some more hard-kicking digital music first.

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #184 of 7,041
Is there any background noise? Stellia is super sensitive headphone.
That's true - connected to the Euforia - the headphone renders a very noticeable humming sound on one channel. However, the Envy is dead quiet (or at least as quite as amps get with such sensitive headphones, even my SPL Phonitor has a very very low level of noise). So is the DarkVoice 336, by the way. It is still okay to listen to music on the Euforia, but it's the kind of hum that people will ask you "...and you buy a >2 grand € headphone amp and it makes these noises??"

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #185 of 7,041
I did already listen to a few songs with the Stellia and the T1.2 - well, it does sound very good. However, I think the Empyrean is the most magical pairing with this amp (of the headphones I own, see signature). Quick impressions on the Envy-Empy (compared to the rest of the amps I have previously listened to most of the times):
  1. very natural overall timbre, vocals sound even more pleasingly beautiful and refined
  2. perfectly accurate staging and depth to the stage
  3. strong, dry and accurate bass which blends in very nicely while remaining absolute clarity, separation and punch, absolutely no mud in lower mid or bass frequency range

I feel there is so much more that I can't yet describe because I am lacking experience with this amp - especially since I only listened to digital sources so far - and I am an analogue guy! Most of the records I have absolutely blow Tidal or other digitally available formats out of the water. But for the sake of ease I decided I will put some more hard-kicking digital music first.
Great to hear some initial feedback such positive. The improved vocal point make me start wanting this amp.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #186 of 7,041
Comparison to the Euphoria will be very interesting!
Im so tempted but its so much money and 300b are also very expensive.
Love the tuberolling on the Euphoria and synergy with ZMF headphones.

My Euphoria AE is dead quiet at my listening levels with most of my tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #188 of 7,041
Hi guys,

let me ask you, does Envy has any gain switch? or the 8 Watts of power is available on full volume knob range?
Also is it really 8 watts of power because their website seemed to imply something different versus the traditional convention of rating power at maximum 1% THD. From their preorder page: "Output powered measured at MID impedance setting at load of 16Ω is 5W with THD ⩽1% (maximum 8W at THD >5%)."

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #189 of 7,041
Also is it really 8 watts of power because their website seemed to imply something different versus the traditional convention of rating power at maximum 1% THD. From their preorder page: "Output powered measured at MID impedance setting at load of 16Ω is 5W with THD ⩽1% (maximum 8W at THD >5%)."
In that case, I am curious if this amp could drive Susvara properly :thinking:

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #190 of 7,041
In that case, I am curious if this amp could drive Susvara properly :thinking:
Me too - could potentially help in my internal struggle to rationalize the purchase of the Envy...

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #191 of 7,041
Comparison to the Euphoria will be very interesting!
Im so tempted but its so much money and 300b are also very expensive.
Love the tuberolling on the Euphoria and synergy with ZMF headphones.

My Euphoria AE is dead quiet at my listening levels with most of my tubes.
Which power tube is quite matching euforia with zmf? Is 300b tube rolling very costly?

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #192 of 7,041
Is 300b tube rolling very costly?
Comparstively yes.
The cheapest start at around 100€ per piece.
The most sought after tubes are around 500 to 1500 per piece.

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #193 of 7,041
Which power tube is quite matching euforia with zmf? Is 300b tube rolling very costly?
Yes tube Rolling on the Envy will be more limited and expensive even more compared to the Euphoria.

Euphoria synergizes with all of the power tubes and ZMF headphones, it's all about your preferred sound taste. Warm or more neutral or maybe tubes that do staging pretty well.
5998/421a and GEC 6as7 offer the best resolution overall.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #194 of 7,041
Range from 150-2000 a pair for new prod. I'd skip nos and just get the new prod ones as they are generally good across the range. A more neutral tube like linlai and eml are more suited for zmf so I'd recommend getting one of those and be done with it. Excessive tube rolling wears not only one's wallet but more importantly the tube sockets so I'd advise to do it sparingly.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #195 of 7,041
Hello,
Yes, the 300b are already lavishly priced, a good mid-range pair will set you back a good 500-600$/€.

I found the Linlai 6SN7 not neutral sounding at least not on the Euforia.
I found it a lot better than the Ps Vane that came as standard and it was warmer but still neutral enough in the dosage and played a bit deeper than the Ps Vane.
And it gives a much nicer low end and a great sweet spot.
I found the Ps Vane just too cool for my taste without fireworks and a bit powerless.

But it would be time for more inputs about the amp and maybe some nice pictures of the inside.😁
With 8 watts of power, I believe that it will also effortlessly drive very hard to drive headphones like the Suvara.
What I don't like so much is the switch between low, mid and high gain.
Maybe it could have been done more discreetly for the price tag.
A rough idea would be a screen that shows you the ohmic value when you plug it in, and you can adjust it yourself as you need it.
I assume that fixed voltages are output by the dip switch and the adjustment with the volume control takes place in the handling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back