Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #13,442 of 13,846
Anyone using PSVane CV-181t MKII tubes with their elise? Would love to hear yall's impression.
Its the stock Feliks Audio Euforia tube.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #13,443 of 13,846
Anyone using PSVane CV-181t MKII tubes with their elise? Would love to hear yall's impression.
Its the stock Feliks Audio Euforia tube.

I am using them with Elise and Tung Sol 5998. I think it is a very good pairing. Tung Sol 5998 have good bass, are slightly warm and punchy while I find the PSVane CV-181T2 being quite balanced and linear. But be careful with these, they need a very long burn in period and they will sound strange from time to time during this process. I needed 200 hours to feel they settled to a stable good sound.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #13,444 of 13,846
While i dont/yet to get the tung sol 5998s, I do have a pair of RCA black plate 6as7g coming in today. My psvane 181s will be here next week. Hopefully the new RCA 6as7g with my stock psvane 6sn7 gives me an idea of how tube rolling works in this amp. As long as the rcas sound better than the stock 6n13s, i ll be happy.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #13,445 of 13,846
I have an Elise on home demo currently. A fabulous sounding unit, but with a couple of reservations which I would appreciate thoughts on before I pull the trigger.

Firstly, the amp seems to be quite prone to bluetooth/phone interference. It is a demo unit which was built in 2018, so it is the MkII, which as I have read, should have resolved (improved) the situation here.

Anyone else have this problem with the Elise or is this just a general issue with OTL amps?

Secondly, when listening with my Audeze LCD2s there is a notable buzzing with the volume up at only around 50 to 60% and beyond.

Anyone else have this problem with high sensitivity planars or is this possibly an issue with the demo unit having been backwards and forwards a bit or the tubes getting on?

Any advice/reassurance greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #13,446 of 13,846
Hi,

Well, as for the phone interference, the MKII behaves much better than the previous version. However, yes, it still happens but it is inherent to the tube technology. So no worries here.

As for the buzzing, that should not happen, whether it is with planars or any other type of headphone. This might be related to the tubes. Are they stock tubes or NOS tubes ? You might want to plug them out and plug them in again, making sure they are tightly connected.
Or it could be an electrical issue such as a ground loop. The Elise is sensitive to power and you should try and plug it to another power socket, also isolated from other devices.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #13,447 of 13,846
I have an Elise on home demo currently. A fabulous sounding unit, but with a couple of reservations which I would appreciate thoughts on before I pull the trigger.

Firstly, the amp seems to be quite prone to bluetooth/phone interference. It is a demo unit which was built in 2018, so it is the MkII, which as I have read, should have resolved (improved) the situation here.

Anyone else have this problem with the Elise or is this just a general issue with OTL amps?

Secondly, when listening with my Audeze LCD2s there is a notable buzzing with the volume up at only around 50 to 60% and beyond.

Anyone else have this problem with high sensitivity planars or is this possibly an issue with the demo unit having been backwards and forwards a bit or the tubes getting on?

Cheers
I had this issue and by trial and error culprit was my landline wireless phone / receiver unit. My cell and a Bluetooth transmitter nearby cause no hum. This recognition helped me ditch my landline, as those are soooo 1990 after all. :relaxed:

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #13,448 of 13,846
Thanks for the responses. The unit has the stock tubes I believe and as it is from 2018 I am assuming the mark 2.

I will be having a play with a different DAC as a source later following a very sensible suggestion that it could possibly be the high voltage output of my Chord DAC not helping the situation.

Cheers

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #13,449 of 13,846
it could possibly be the high voltage output of my Chord DAC not helping the situation.

I used Elise MKII with 2Qute/Qutest set both to 3V (2Qute had fixed voltage, Qutest selectable but for me 3V sounded the best) and never had any problems.
Now I use TT2 with 2.5V and the same.

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #13,450 of 13,846

Cheers
The most likely culprit could be an electronic device such as a portable phone. At times it may be difficult to trace the source of the interference, but patience and trial and error usually pays off.

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #13,451 of 13,846
Rockin' all GEC: 6080 powers, 6V6 drivers. Very clean, coherent presentation.

GEC 6V6's & GEC 6080's (11-8-20).jpg

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #13,452 of 13,846
The GEC 6080 are excellent tubes. What kind of adapters are you using for the 6V6 tubes?
What brand are the 6V6 tubes? There are tubes that say A M which means Air Force Ministry, but I haven't figured out what A n M means.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #13,453 of 13,846
The GEC 6080 are excellent tubes. What kind of adapters are you using for the 6V6 tubes?
What brand are the 6V6 tubes? There are tubes that say A M which means Air Force Ministry, but I haven't figured out what A n M means.
Hi @mordy. The 6V6 are also GEC, adapters by @Deyan.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #13,455 of 13,846
anyone using either sylvania / ken-rad VT-231 driver tubes with their Elise? I m running stock Svetlana power tubes and was wondering if and which of those two vt-231 would be a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back