Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jul 3, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #12,511 of 13,846
Just curiosity in my case, but I still don't understand why I am reading VAC and others VDC?

Howie, Elise supplies AC out to the heater pins. I have a couple of different methods of external heating, one is DC, the other AC.

Heaters heat with AC or DC voltage.

We have found DC is a little tougher, as you get hum/noises unless you are properly grounded (both Elise and the DC external voltage supply).

Hope that clears things up a bit...

:p

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #12,512 of 13,846
Here is a better link for Electronluv:

http://www.electronluv.com/

Scrolled through the pictures - it is like entering a world where Retro science fiction meets tubes and Hi Fi. Cannot find any reviews how the stuff sounds, but the visual impact is undeniable...

h14.jpg

h4.jpg

a3.jpg

a5.jpg

a8.jpg

This one is for Suuup:

amps_10.jpg

A VV45 (front) drives an 845 rectified by twin 866 mercury vapors (right blue tube) while an RCA 83 (last tube) rectifies the VV45. Power output is 20 watts,

This pic is for UT:
m5.jpg

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #12,515 of 13,846
Howie, Elise supplies AC out to the heater pins. I have a couple of different methods of external heating, one is DC, the other AC.

Heaters heat with AC or DC voltage.

We have found DC is a little tougher, as you get hum/noises unless you are properly grounded (both Elise and the DC external voltage supply).

Hope that clears things up a bit...

tongue.gif

Thanks JV- that does indeed clarify things for me.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #12,517 of 13,846
  Hi all,

I didn't find any who sympathizes with me about hitting the dead end or end game - just as well LOL.

I'll try to answer the questions:

Suuup, those guys will build you a rig for $50-60,000, and I don't even know if it includes all the pieces they show off. Here are two links:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vsac03/vsac_3.html

www.electronluv.comhttp://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vsac03/vsac_3.html

Hi DescentLevi: In the past, on various threads, we had our share of nasty (and worse) attacks of people (some of whom are on certain medications by their own admission). My policy is to stay away completely from these types of discussions and not even read anything from these sources. IMHO nothing is gained by arguing with people who have an agenda. Far better to concentrate on positive and interesting developments. And of course, being friendly and tolerant.

Regarding my favorite tube combination (for now) it is a pair of Philips EL3N as drivers and a mixed pair each of TS 6BL7GTA and TS re-issue 6SN7GTB on dual adapters as power tubes - no external power needed.

I discovered that the set voltage at the tube pins changed for different tubes, necessitating an adjustment at my voltage regulator to remain at 6.3V at the tube.. As Howie13 points out, it could be a function of too thin wires to the tube sockets.

Howie13: The heaters of the tubes can be heated with DC or AC current. I am using DC current from my power supply, so the reading would be in DC volts. JV uses a transformer that puts out AC voltage, so his reading would use the AC scale. I think Oskari already picked up on this.

Now I understand-thanks Mordy.

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #12,521 of 13,846
  I'm also still wondering what was the reason for all the heater voltage testing?

I initiated that, with only one reason. Some people (including at least LordRaven and myself but there are more...) have no luck with 6N7G tubes and sometimes some others like FDD20. There is distortion at normal listening levels that sounds like clipping. It's not the tubes. Untilthen once tested some of these tubes that didn't work in someone else's amp (was it LordRaven?) and in his amp they played fine!  I'm trying to figure out what discerns the 'picky' Elises from the normal ones. I'm curious by nature and don't easily give up on a problem. Not hampered by proper knowledge on electronics but trained as a researcher I look for properties that can easily be measured objectively. If I raise thee heater voltage for the driver to at least 6.4 real volts, 6N7G's play well. My Elise puts out 6.0 by itself. The difference is apparently enough to make it play consistently. I just want to understand and hopefully others with problems will benefit from that understanding too. It would be a pity if they cannot use tubes that others report to love.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #12,522 of 13,846

I initiated that, with only one reason. Some people (including at least LordRaven and myself but there are more...) have no luck with 6N7G tubes and sometimes some others like FDD20. There is distortion at normal listening levels that sounds like clipping. It's not the tubes. Untilthen once tested some of these tubes that didn't work in someone else's amp (was it LordRaven?) and in his amp they played fine!  I'm trying to figure out what discerns the 'picky' Elises from the normal ones. I'm curious by nature and don't easily give up on a problem. Not hampered by proper knowledge on electronics but trained as a researcher I look for properties that can easily be measured objectively. If I raise thee heater voltage for the driver to at least 6.4 real volts, 6N7G's play well. My Elise puts out 6.0 by itself. The difference is apparently enough to make it play consistently. I just want to understand and hopefully others with problems will benefit from that understanding too. It would be a pity if they cannot use tubes that others report to love.

That's perfectly understandable Audict123.

As you now know I am running at 6.4V, at least on yesterday's mains voltage.
Could you just confirm whether you are talking about 6N7 tubes as powers or drivers?
I've had no problem with them as drivers but have not used them as power tubes.

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #12,523 of 13,846

Interesting, you may well be on to something @Audict123...

Definitely we have amps that don't like certain tubes. I had reported last Feb here that #0019 had 6.7 volts AC at the heater pins with no load. I remeasured again last night while the default tube compliment was in, and mine measures exactly 6.0 volts.

Mine does run 6N7G beautifully, never a hint of distortion, that others have reported.
My amp, however makes a mess of EL3N that so many others say sounds good,

Cheers...

:p

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #12,524 of 13,846
Interesting, you may well be on to something @Audict123...

Definitely we have amps that don't like certain tubes. I had reported last Feb here that #0019 had 6.7 volts AC at the heater pins with no load. I remeasured again last night while the default tube compliment was in, and mine measures exactly 6.0 volts.

Mine does run 6N7G beautifully, never a hint of distortion, that others have reported.
My amp, however makes a mess of EL3N that so many others say sounds good,

Cheers...

tongue.gif

I've had no problem using 6N7's as drivers and have just tried them as power tubes using 6SN7's as drivers and again no distortion or other problem.
I did notice the volume needed turning up a bit compared to the dual 6J5 and 6BL7 powers for each channel, but it sounded none the worse for that.

I measure 6.4V with load, (touching the 7,8 pins of the driver whilst it's partially inserted and glowing) and 6.5V with no load, (inserting the pins of my multi-meter into a socket saver, as Elise's sockets are too thin to insert the multimeter pins).

I hope I did this right.

So far EL3N's sound good too, but have not had much time with them.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #12,525 of 13,846
  I'll also thank @geetarman49 for his support via PM - expert advice but now worries now, I've got that Elise issue under wraps. Do you work in the electronics trade?
I think you'll be getting your Elise soon too

your are welcome (always), DL.  i used to ... attended quite a few trade shows too.  & i did see the electronluv devices (quite a few yrs back).  i haven't heard any of the recent gear, but the visual impact was so stunning that one literally (almost) forgot about the sonics ... sort of like seeing a lambo countach parked curbside beside you with its doors scissored open, yet on (your) hi-way you'd rather be driving a porsche ... but that's just my opinion.

as i said, i haven't heard them in a while so things may have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back