Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jul 3, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #12,496 of 13,846
With LG, there's no way you can stack tube like Howie's Elise lego above
biggrin.gif

Just looked at a photo of LG. Doesn't look like there's much space around those two front sockets, unless the photo is deceptive.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #12,498 of 13,846
  Just looked at a photo of LG. Doesn't look like there's much space around those two front sockets, unless the photo is deceptive.

You're right, there is not much space for anything other than the tubes.  Did you notice that the sockets for the 9 pin tubes are actually horizontal?

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #12,499 of 13,846
You're right, there is not much space for anything other than the tubes.  Did you notice that the sockets for the 9 pin tubes are actually horizontal?

Yes, I noticed, it's brilliant, but at the same time, it's kind of encourage people to use the octal more often as the noval position looks a bit awkward, look like plasma weapon ready to shoot at you, LOL.
I believe it sounds great tho.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #12,500 of 13,846

I have an idea, stack two or three socket savers until it is higher than the top casing, then you can plug in your favourite dual tube socket.
That might work, but don't ask my comment how it look like.

Sorry, doesn't mean to discredit LG, it looks beautiful on its own, my comment is just for fun. Cheers

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #12,501 of 13,846
I have an idea, stack two or three socket savers until it is higher than the top casing, then you can plug in your favourite dual tube socket.

Sorry, doesn't mean to discredit LG, it looks beautiful on its own, my comment is just for fun. Cheers

Maybe Mrs X will design an adapter on stilts to poke out above the top casing.
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #12,502 of 13,846
Here is a mellow tune, a Jazzy rendition of "Chim Chim Chree" w/Esperanza Spalding singing...

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=41&v=C_hKlqh1E5Q[/VIDEO]

Hope all the LUCKY ONES with the magic Elise soundstage...are having a great weekend.

:p

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #12,503 of 13,846
It's a 3-day weekend here in the USA and I've got a little extra time and more random thoughts running through my head.

I'm glad FA will take care of @DecentLevi. I don't know any of the details but it seems FA was fully aware of how the amp had been used, and was willing to assume responsibility - so all is good in Eliseland ))

I personally don't care what people chose to do with or to their own amps. I am concerned when some of the rhetoric we use (me included - I plead guilty) to describe our own personal experiences jeopardizes the credibility of the thread and might frighten some potential buyers away. Especially when our words run the risk of suggesting to a potential buyer that the Elise is seriously compromised by the tubes chosen by FA and external power, Towers of Babel, adapters conceived in Transylvania and produced in China, or very expensive and difficult-to-find tubes will be required to achieve long-term, very satisfying listening enjoyment with the Elise.

On a different point, I  have problems with some comments that have been posted elsewhere about the Elise. I am amazed at the arrogance of someone who will borrow the Elise for a few days, try it with a limited number of tubes (many of which are not specified) and then pontificate on its strengths and weaknesses. Murky bass??? Give me a break!!!!! Doesn't have the macro-dynamics or "authority" of the best tube amps???  I haven't heard the "best" tube amps but that sounds like a lot of babble to me.

I find that in my system, 1-tube-per-socket gives me all I could want. And I feel no need to upgrade to a "better" amp. But that's just me.

The main upgrade I want in my system is a headphone that combines the strengths of the T1 and HD800. When anyone discovers that, please let me know)))

By the way, my experience in having spent a lot of time with both the T1 Gen 2 and HD800S with the Elise strongly suggests to me that any perceived limitations in the Elise are much more likely to be limitations of the primary headphone used to audition it rather than an inherent limitation of the Elise.

Measuring heater amperage??? Sounds like great fun, but curious as to whether the goal is more than pure entertainment ))))

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #12,504 of 13,846
I am suffering from ATRW (Acute Tube Rolling Withdrawal). This is it - the end of the road. End game. Finito. (At least for now...)

I have found the perfect combination for me and my equipment. Nothing bothers me, everything sounds stupendous. Bass, treble, mid range, sound stage, detail, emotion, impact, u r there, etc etc - EVERYTHING.

Nuttin' more to do - just listen to the music. Enjoy.

But it gets a little boring... my fingers are itching to try something new. Did someone say perfection is boring?  Schhhhh...

OK, forget it. I am very happy.

I need a different challenge - I think I know what to do. Will try to find another $3 5998 as a mate to the one I got, or a really good deal on a pair of GEC 1834A under the Haltron or MOV (Marconi -Osram Valve) names.  Or a re-branded pair of Bendix 6080WB for $10.

Will try with old_guy_radiola to see what kind of bargains he has...

Naw, too difficult, or too expensive.

Maybe time to upgrade:

electronluv0.jpg

electronluv0.5.jpg

Maybe a Mercury Vapor tube amplifier?

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #12,505 of 13,846
  I am suffering from ATRW (Acute Tube Rolling Withdrawal). This is it - the end of the road. End game. Finito. (At least for now...)

I have found the perfect combination for me and my equipment. Nothing bothers me, everything sounds stupendous. Bass, treble, mid range, sound stage, detail, emotion, impact, u r there, etc etc - EVERYTHING.

Nuttin' more to do - just listen to the music. Enjoy.

But it gets a little boring... my fingers are itching to try something new. Did someone say perfection is boring?  Schhhhh...

OK, forget it. I am very happy.

I need a different challenge - I think I know what to do. Will try to find another $3 5998 as a mate to the one I got, or a really good deal on a pair of GEC 1834A under the Haltron or MOV (Marconi -Osram Valve) names.  Or a re-branded pair of Bendix 6080WB for $10.

Will try with old_guy_radiola to see what kind of bargains he has...

Naw, too difficult, or too expensive.

Maybe time to upgrade:

electronluv0.jpg

electronluv0.5.jpg

Maybe a Mercury Vapor tube amplifier?

God damn it Mordy, now I want a pair of 866A and make my own OTL tube amp. 866A as rectifier, 6C33C as power, 6N7G as driver. Does it get any better than that?

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #12,506 of 13,846
Yeah Towers of Babel, maybe that's a good nickname for the dual 6BL7 + quad 6J5 powers setup

Man I agree with everything in @pctazhp's post above. Those on that other audiophile forum definitely have a whole lotta short-sightedness and lack of  scientific / evidence based procedures. Many of the members there are comprised of ex-members so I think a lot of their ways are just to spite Head-Fi for some kind of vendetta. Some of you feel free to go over there and show them 'the real deal' with the Elise, but I warn you @hypnos1 has already gotten cussed out left, right & center there just for trying to be helpful / honest, so you've been warned about messing with them 
confused.gif

Also speaking of H1, I feel sorry for ya, and yes I've read your advice I'm being more careful.

Also where is @UntilThen? Your absence has made me wonder if you're OK?

And @mordy, what tube combo was that you said was your end game above?

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #12,510 of 13,846
Hi all,

I didn't find any who sympathizes with me about hitting the dead end or end game - just as well LOL.

I'll try to answer the questions:

Suuup, those guys will build you a rig for $50-60,000, and I don't even know if it includes all the pieces they show off. Here are two links:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vsac03/vsac_3.html

www.electronluv.comhttp://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vsac03/vsac_3.html

Hi DescentLevi: In the past, on various threads, we had our share of nasty (and worse) attacks of people (some of whom are on certain medications by their own admission). My policy is to stay away completely from these types of discussions and not even read anything from these sources. IMHO nothing is gained by arguing with people who have an agenda. Far better to concentrate on positive and interesting developments. And of course, being friendly and tolerant.

Regarding my favorite tube combination (for now) it is a pair of Philips EL3N as drivers and a mixed pair each of TS 6BL7GTA and TS re-issue 6SN7GTB on dual adapters as power tubes - no external power needed.

I discovered that the set voltage at the tube pins changed for different tubes, necessitating an adjustment at my voltage regulator to remain at 6.3V at the tube.. As Howie13 points out, it could be a function of too thin wires to the tube sockets.

Howie13: The heaters of the tubes can be heated with DC or AC current. I am using DC current from my power supply, so the reading would be in DC volts. JV uses a transformer that puts out AC voltage, so his reading would use the AC scale. I think Oskari already picked up on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back