Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jul 1, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #12,437 of 13,846
Hi Mordy,

You probably had a poorly (or non-)regulated power supply. Or, as in my case, the lead wires were too thin to carry the current without resistance. The more current the tubes need, the more current in that wire and the bigger the voltage drop over the wire.

I have no hum whatsoever with my external power supply (gophert cps-3205, ebay) and I don't need to ground it for that.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #12,439 of 13,846
Welcome Tony to this expanding Elise family. I look forward to your getting it. You might beat @geetarman49
 to it. Customs is still testing his. 

Thanks for the welcome. It's going to be very interesting to try out. I'm particularly looking forward to see how my HD800 works with it, fed by Hugo. I'll be sure to put some updates in when it arrives! Cheers, Tony

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #12,440 of 13,846

elise will be beetween black dragon dac (audiobyte from romania) and vali headphone (kennerton from russia)
at the beginning is a nuc with daphile or tinysqueeze

Very interesting. I have neither heard nor seen those before. Be sure to post some pics when you get your Elise. 
beyersmile.png

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #12,441 of 13,846
Thanks for the welcome. It's going to be very interesting to try out. I'm particularly looking forward to see how my HD800 works with it, fed by Hugo. I'll be sure to put some updates in when it arrives! Cheers, Tony

Excellent Tony. First Hugo in our midst. Looking forward to your impressions. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #12,447 of 13,846
@Howie13, hope I don't missed your impression if you already have written one.
How do you find sound sig different between Elise and Ember? E vs E
biggrin.gif

Hi RedBull

I don't think there is any virtue in doing direct comparisons between Ember2 and Elise as they are very different types of amps and very different in price.

Ember2 is a great amp to learn the art/science of tube rolling and experimenting with changes in input level and output impedance, including 12V tubes without needing external power, and seems very resilient to using exotic less commonly used tube combinations and adapters, within the limits of it's max heater current of 1A. My Ember had no problems with Frankenstein, probably because it's a much simpler amp with only one tube. That makes rolling cheaper as well, of course.

Ember is a great amp to 'cut your teeth' on but Elise is more expansive and controlled with all the gains that brings.

PS. My favourite G1217 amp is actually Horizon.

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #12,450 of 13,846
Hi RedBull

I don't think there is any virtue in doing direct comparisons between Ember2 and Elise as they are very different types of amps and very different in price.

Ember2 is a great amp to learn the art/science of tube rolling and experimenting with changes in input level and output impedance, including 12V tubes without needing external power, and seems very resilient to using exotic less commonly used tube combinations and adapters, within the limits of it's max heater current of 1A. My Ember had no problems with Frankenstein, probably because it's a much simpler amp with only one tube. That makes rolling cheaper as well, of course.

Ember is a great amp to 'cut your teeth' on but Elise is more expansive and controlled with all the gains that brings.

PS. My favourite G1217 amp is actually Horizon.

Glad to know that Elise sounds more expansive. I love Ember so much I won't sell it even though Elise is better. I even still have Vali.

To find out if it's hype or fact. :)

Ha ha ha ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back