Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #10,546 of 13,846

I'm going to stick with 6SN7, 6AS7G, and 6080 tubes.  They sound wow enough for me, and I need to draw the line somewhere so I don't blow a ton of money and time on tube rolling.  Also, I don't like the way adapters and such look 
smile.gif

Hi KP,

I think that the whole thing started as a far off suggestion by UT, and then was taken up by hypnos1 who discovered how well they work as drivers in the Elise. Afterwards people saw pictures of amps on the internet using the EL3N as power tubes as well. I think UT asked a Chinese supplier to make the adapters and he pioneered using 6x EL3N in the Elise.

Hope I got the chain of events and the facts right - if not, please correct my impressions.

Thanks for the reply!  This thread is not good for my finances.

May 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #10,547 of 13,846
  T1

Guys, do I buy these? :)

They have them at amazon for $769.00.  Also amazon gives you 30 day return if you are not happy.  The ebay does not offer returns, so if there is a problem with them you would have to do a warranty return to Beyer, if this seller is an authorized seller.  I bought a pair from amazon a while back and had a problem with the left driver getting muddy in the bass, after three weeks, so I returne them to amazon for refund and got the Senn 800 instead.  If you want to chance a bid on ebay, that is up to you, but the price on amazon is firm, and they will stand behind the purchase.  Ebay you have to open a case with them and since it clearly states no returns, don't know how that would work out.   http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-T1-Audiophile-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B0031RD3YY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463669726&sr=8-2&keywords=beyerdynamic+t1

Good luck either way.  I really liked the sound of them and the comfort, UT also has them.  I did not want the second version, that was why I bought the t1 on amazon.

May 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #10,548 of 13,846
The Vincent PHO-08 and Ortofon OM40 Super looks good from reviews I've read. There's a Vincent PHO-700 tube phono preamp.

Good choice. Your TT must sound good.

I visit this site often just to see other's turntable. :)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549616/post-a-photograph-of-your-turntable

It sure does. I was really interested in the PHO-700, but I eventually decided to go a little more budget. Also the phono pre can always be powered on, So I do not have to wait for tubes to get warm. However, I really would like to try one with tubes. But I leave it like this for the moment.

Do you use a passive line selector or similiar when switching between dac and turntable?

May 19, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #10,549 of 13,846
Update on the 6EL/2BL combo:

Something just happened now on the second day - the sound stage opened up: a wall of delicious sound. Just sitting here, tapping my feet and grinning from ear to ear....

Must have passed some burning in milestone, and it is still very early in the game for the four EL power tubes.

IMG_0782.JPG

These EL3N tubes are made in Holland. No doubt the design was inspired by the Dutch Royal Guard:

7477695870_01c8fca97f_b.jpg

May 19, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #10,550 of 13,846
IMG_0782.JPG

These EL3N tubes are made in Holland.

Hej, Mordy!

Despite the claim, they were likely made in the 'other Australia'.

Guys, here's something I saw on that auction site.

I'd call this proof that the A-factory-code EL3Ns were indeed made by WIRAG in Vienna, Austria. These tubes commonly show Made in Holland but, as usual, that can't be trusted.

It seems that this tube was made in 1960 (0 year) which matches quite nicely with the 6137. I assume that's a YYWW date.

Do they have the A factory code?

May 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #10,551 of 13,846
It sure does. I was really interested in the PHO-700, but I eventually decided to go a little more budget. Also the phono pre can always be powered on, So I do not have to wait for tubes to get warm. However, I really would like to try one with tubes. But I leave it like this for the moment.

Do you use a passive line selector or similiar when switching between dac and turntable?

I switch RCA connectors manually. :)

Is there such a passive line selector? Wouldn't mind getting one.

May 19, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #10,552 of 13,846

Thanks for the reply!  This thread is not good for my finances.

Does that mean you bought them? :)

I was not involved with the dual EL3N to 6SN7 adapters. I don't know who arrange that but it worked well in the power slots in Elise. I simply use it.

I liaise with Mrs Xu Ling on the single EL3N to 6SN7 adapter with the important pins connections from @hypnos1, credits to him for trialling / testing the EL3N tubes in Elise as drivers and we all know now that it sounded lovely. This pentode is used as a strapped triode in Elise. Hence the adapter will only work for Elise or any amp that uses 2 6SN7 drivers.

May 19, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #10,553 of 13,846

UT:  You could try something like this. In my old audiophile days, a lot of audiophiles thought that a switch box like this adversely affected SQ, but I have no idea if you would notice that. I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to replace the RCA plugs you would be using and rewire the internal connections if you thought that would improve the box.

http://amazon.com/Dophee-Switch-Selector-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B014GSX0ZI?ie=UTF8&keywords=rca%20switch&qid=1463690749&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

May 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #10,555 of 13,846

I understand ☺️ That's what I do too :grin:

Something like this has gotten my attention lately: http://www.mfspdesigns.com/index.php/en/all-products/switch-box/switch-box-rca-3in-2out-detail

There are less and more extravagant ones out there, but this seems like a good one.

May 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #10,556 of 13,846
May 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #10,558 of 13,846

Does that mean you bought them? :)

I was not involved with the dual EL3N to 6SN7 adapters. I don't know who arrange that but it worked well in the power slots in Elise. I simply use it.

I liaise with Mrs Xu Ling on the single EL3N to 6SN7 adapter with the important pins connections from @hypnos1, credits to him for trialling / testing the EL3N tubes in Elise as drivers and we all know now that it sounded lovely. This pentode is used as a strapped triode in Elise. Hence the adapter will only work for Elise or any amp that uses 2 6SN7 drivers.

I did buy them.  I bought 6 tubes but plan to only use them as drivers.  Hope I bought the right adapters!  

May 19, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #10,560 of 13,846

Here is one
http://www.goldpt.com/sw4.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back