Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #4,516 of 13,856
Levi, listen to the unbalanced version. You'll be balanced naturally. You won't wish for more.

B-60, thanks for Anne Bisson. I've seen her works before but haven't tried it. It's lovely on Elise and HE560. I'm on cloud 11.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #4,517 of 13,856
Forget what I said about the Lepai $20.00, 20 watt amp!

Played fine for 2 days. Day three, turn it on, and one channel is gone.

Not worth the return shipping cost, it will adorn the bottom of my trash bin.

Sure don't get much in a $20.00 China-made mini-amp these days....UGH :)

Will press an old Pioneer SX-650 back into duty (that has worked fine, since 1976 or so)....

Just needs some deoxit in the pots

http://classicreceivers.com/?s=SX-650

:p

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #4,518 of 13,856
Forget what I said about the Lepai $20.00, 20 watt amp!

JV, I'll donate $1 to make you less sad. 
beyersmile.png

@DecentLevi talk to @aqsw . He's using Elise in SE mode more than his LC in balanced mode. I wait to hear your impressions when you get Elise.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,519 of 13,856
Yes, a few of you are definitely onto something. Balanced really does sound better than SE. @hypnos1
 I have a mission: recommend to the Elise creator to make a balanced version, then it can truly be a transportation device

EDIT: Or maybe there's an internal mod for this

No internal mod will magically make it balanced. This would be quite costly, to implement correctly.

We have a Liquid Carbon / balanced user, who says he likes the sound of his single ended Elise, better.

Better talk to user: aqsw

Cheers...

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #4,521 of 13,856
i am gonna buy two ELISE ...one for each channel..  LOL

okkkk my pocket is laufing at me. Gudnite guys...n get the MONK.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #4,524 of 13,856
@aqsw I noticed from the LC thread that the Elise wins no-contest to the LC. But I would love to see you report on the LC with a balanced headphone connection and burned-in, versus the Elise which is SE, and see which one you still like better. If you do so, please "quote" me or mention my name with the @ symbol so I get notification. Thanks...

EDIT: Oh now I see he already has balanced on the LC. Well a nice comparison of the LC balanced versus the Elise with the same headphone; volume matched would still be interesting.

PS- I have no doubts about the Elise's abilities, but just waiting until I can afford it

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #4,525 of 13,856
@DecentLevi ...@aqsw comments are short and sharp but humorous. This sums up his impressions...

Post #4145   http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/4140#post_12163051

Post #4009   http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/4005#post_12154320

You can't really compared an ss amp and a tube amp. It's all personal preference. You either like one or the other.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #4,526 of 13,856
I will try to explain some of the differences between the LC and the Elise. These comparisons are volummatched (by ear), using the same dac (hegel d12) and same
headphones (audeze lcd 2.2 pre fazor balanced from the LC).

The LC and the Elise both have plenty of power to drive the phones. I was worried the Eilse would be a little short in this department. Boy was I wrong.
About 12 oclock on the Elise dial (se) versus 1 oclock n the LC (balanced 1x gain). This is loud.

The Lc is the best ss amp I have ever owned. Kills the Oppo I had and I do not regret buying it for 1 second, but it will be regulated to my office,
because it is my second best amp for my own preferences.

The Elise seems more open, spatial, 3d sound. I just love this sound, it seems more analog to me.

One place where the LC wins is in that it is pitch black. Total silence between songs. The Elise has a slight hum between songs, but when the music starts I dont hear it .

The Elise wins in looks too.

The Elise starts distorting sooner than the LC. This could be the tubes I'm using. It is at such a high volume that I would never listen at that level, but some people ??

Tube rolling is fun, being able to adjust the sound is something I have become very fond of.

Overall, I just prefer the tube sound and the Elise provides this in spades, but if you want ss, the LC would be a fantastic choice.

I originally was planning on buying a totl Cavalli. This Elise has actually saved me money, as that urge has now passed.
As to the balanced versus se output. I was originally quite biased on the balanced side. I love planars and felt that a balanced output would optimize my headphones performance.
This assumption was wrong, as the Elise has the power to run them easily. All my phones have balanced cables wth an xlr termination, so my pigtail is getting plenty of action.

As to balanced versus se inputs, at my age with riding motorcycles all my life, I really cannot hear or define a difference.

Back to the Elise. I better wipe the dust off the LC, I can't see the Logo anymore.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #4,527 of 13,856
You always surprise me aqsw but this time you surprise me the most. You wrote a page !!! 
tongue.gif

A very good evaluation, short review / comparison with Liquid Carbon as well. An honest unbiased review I'd say as you paint the pros and cons of each. This will give someone contemplating buying either of those 2, a better idea what to expect. No buyer's euphoria here as you own both and have no reason to love one over the other apart for the reasons you gave. Ultimately it's the sound. Elise tube amp sound is irresistible.

Good write-up. !  
beerchug.gif

P/S... you should look at grounding it properly because in my unit, with 2 FDD20 and Tung Sol 5998, I have total silence between songs. Not a murmur of hum, buzz, you name it.

@DecentLevi  come read this.

Holly Cole 'Hold On' never sounded this good right now. I'm melting.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #4,528 of 13,856
The Elise seems more open, spatial, 3d sound. I just love this sound, it seems more analog to me.

I think this says it all. Agree 100% that a tube amp will give you a holographic 3D sound that is "more analog" and thoroughly enjoyable. This is important, with today's digital sources.

Well said, aqwsw!!

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #4,529 of 13,856
@JazzVinyl
  just buy this Audioengine 2+ powered speakers and you'll be happy. Elise preamp out to it - perfect.

Interesting! These speakers look like a complete clone of Paul Carmody's Overnight sensation design that I already own! I have no doubt the amp inside these, are of the same "quality" as the one I am carefully placing in the trash bin, today...

No thanks! I will use a classic amp, that I have squirreled away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back