Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Nov 1, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,096 of 13,856

6N23P Russian Voskhod Rocket logo 1975 / Mullard 6080

The 1975 version (deemed the best) was reviewed by a gentleman in Head-Fi who spends considerable time reviewing a whole bunch of tubes he was conferred the title of Contributor by Head-Fi.

I want to talk about this tube here together with this song 'Nine million bicycles'.

First of all this 6N23P when paired with 5998 was a bit too much on the bass. A bit overpowering. It's a case of 5998 not fitting every situation. I then switched to Mullard 6080 and in this pairing it became incredibly sweet, punchy, dynamic with excellent detail and clarity. In fact I was astounded how good this pairing sounds. I most wholeheartedly recommend this combination. I just wonder how much better the more expensive Amperex 7308 would be.

I paid $33 for this pair of 6N23P and $56 for my Mullard. You also need to buy 6922 to 6SN7 adapters. $19.80 a pair.
So it's incredibly good sound for not too much money. My tubes are already burn in on the DV whilst waiting for Elise.

For auditioning these tubes, I play one of my favourite tracks by Katie Melua, 'Nine Million Bicycles'. Those of you in UK and Europe should know her. In 2006, she was UK's best selling female artist and Europe's highest selling European female artist. She's also incredibly rich from her record sales. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nine million bicycles in Beijing
Six billion people in the world
Twelve billion light years from the edge    
bigsmile_face.gif

Again I have no hum in using 6N23P. I'm incredibly happy with Elise so far.

I have a couple pairs one PHILIPS SQ 7308/E188cc and the other pair MINIWATT DARIO E188CC and i would say that for me they are the best sounding driver tubes that i use in my WA2  top end and clarity defines those tubes in my amp.                                                                                                                                                                                 

Again i was lucky with those i couldnt pay the guy fast when i found out about these tubes 

A pair of tubes i dont have is the Mullard's 6080 how would they compare to other 6080's like Chathams for example if you have any or RCA .Would they be a little better ,subtle differences ?                                                                                                                 

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,097 of 13,856
A pair of tubes i dont have is the Mullard's 6080 how would they compare to other 6080's like Chathams for example if you have any or RCA .Would they be a little better ,subtle differences ?                                                                                              

I have the Mullard 6080's and absolutely love them. They have a wonderful midrange that is very nice compared to other 6080's. Plenty of solid bass and a nice high end as well.

But I think they excel with that midrange, detail space and textures in the mids that make them a worthy addition to any collection of tubes.

There is an Ebay seller in Cyprus selling beautiful NOS examples from the late 60's early 70's. Have the correct Mitchum codes on the bottles.
Reasonably priced, for the pair as well.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,102 of 13,856
I'm curious to know how those Chatham 6080 sound. They look good.
I have a few 6080 but only the Mullard CV2984 impress.
I have a preference for coke bottle power tubes. :)

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,106 of 13,856
That's a valid question Suuup. One that I ask myself before I tried it. Remember I said in my review of 2031, I said at the start that I was a skeptic. I didn't want to believe it's possible that combining FDD20 with ECC31 will sound good. In my mind I thought to myself you'll surely get 2 different sounding channel.

So I tried it. I think it's fair if you question something then you should prove it. Remember a long time ago everyone thinks that the world is flat. Then someone says it's round and they probably wanted to kill him.

What I heard is a clearly defined strereo image. There were no channel imbalance, neither did one side sounded different from the other. I've listened to this for 5 days now and my view has not changed.

The likely explanation is one offered by H1. That these tubes are very similar in gain and the pairing has no untoward effects. Instead what I heard are the attributes merged from those 2 tubes.

Just to prove a point. I'm now listening to 6CG7 and 6GU7 as drivers. These 2 are not identical although they share the same adapter.
This is an excerpts from DIYAUDIO on 6GU7
The 6GU7 is essentially a 6 volt 12BH7. Set it up like you would a 12BH7 (with the proper heater voltages of course!) and you can get good results. But it is not a good sounding 6CG7/6FQ7 sub.

Yet with this pairing 6CG7/6GU7 I detect no channel imbalance but just a stereo image.

I'll be trying other unlikely pairings and will report further.

6CG7/6GU7 with Svetlana power tubes

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #1,107 of 13,856
I just want to go on record to state this. There are 4 major developments since the start of the Elise thread (the original). Hypnos1 was solely responsible for all 4.

1. Hypnos1 was instrumental in the creation of Elise. No one can dispute that. Just read the original thread from the beginning.

2. Introduction of C3G into Elise. I count a good many who agreed that these tubes sounded great in Elise. Hypnos1 made the adapters.

3. ECC31 was tried and prove to be amazing in Elise. Again you can see everyone who have tried it agreed.

4. FDD20 was discovered. Everyone marvel that it looks great. Then the controversial pairing came and people are ready to crucify the thread starter.

All I have to say is this. Agree or disagree that is not the issue. Everyone should go on a tube rolling journey for themselves and determine for themselves what is their best setup. At the end of the day it's their money spent.

However, there need to be respect and appreciation for Hypnos1. After all he put in all the hours, liaising with Feliks Audio and the community on the creation of Elise and he never for a moment ask for anything in return. Instead there's a lot of animosity against him.

I may not be on this thread forever but the day I move on is the day I will thank Hypnos1 from the bottom of my heart for his contribution and for his graciousness  to all Elise users.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,108 of 13,856
  However, there need to be respect and appreciation for Hypnos1. After all he put in all the hours, liaising with Feliks Audio and the community on the creation of Elise and he never for a moment ask for anything in return. Instead there's a lot of animosity against him.

Just to be sure... do you perceive my impression regarding the bass shift away from the FDD20 ear as animosity against H1?

Btw, I went back to the  ECC31/ECC31 combination last night. Bass is perfectly centered again but everything sounds a bit 'duller' compared to FDD20/ECC31.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,109 of 13,856
Not at all Nep. I was referring to the other thread who were thrashing him. I respect difference of opinions here on this thread where discussions are done civilly. That is not the issue.

Your contribution is valid. Just as if I was in disagreement I would state it too.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #1,110 of 13,856
Tung Sol 6SN7GT mouse ears / Sylvania 6SN7WGT with Svetlana 6H13C

Again unlikely combination but sounds ok. I'm starting to realise the benefits of 2 drivers in Elise. Next I'll try different power tubes. You might end up with some interesting results with mix and match. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back