Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Nov 1, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #1,081 of 13,856
  Anyone with Elise that hums from tubes or amps? Mine has been 6 days at 8 hours a day in operation and totally silent. I've been running an assortment of adapters and small tubes even. None of these are recommended by Feliks Audio but all sounding good except the rogue tube 1635. Those that hums badly on DV are totally silent now on Elise. I'm using ordinary no frills cables and RCA interconnects yet everything totally silent. No fancy power cords or USB cable.

Mine is currently installed right next to my wireless phone base station and hums. Place a hand between the transformer and the base station and the hum decreases. Move it more than about 10 feet (3m) away and it's totally silent. The hum isn't particularly intrusive, but this won't be my Elise' permanent home anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe other hums are externally induced?

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,082 of 13,856
Good sharing there TJ. It's possible other hums are externally induced. However mine has no hum despite the fact that my Elise is situated on a L shaped table with 2 computers and 3 big monitors, one cable modem and a printer about 3 feet away. This is my home office when I work at home and it's full of gadgets. I'm running Ethernet connections to the 2 computers and have WiFi setup for the house. Not to mention my mobile phone which has Bluetooth connectivity. At the foot of the table running parallel to the wall is a row of power points for all these equipment to be plug in. If there's going to be hum it would be me but mine is totally silent. So I suspect my Elise is not prone to external interference. I sure hope it stay this way forever.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #1,083 of 13,856
I wouldn't say that mine is susceptible to hum - more that I'm severely provoking it. I originally had it next to a modern, digital base-station and there was no hum, but next to an ancient, pre-digital base-station I get a little hum. I'm actually very impressed with it's "hum-resistance".
My office set-up sounds pretty similar to yours (2 computers, 3 monitors, but no cable-modem (wi-fi access point, though), and the printer is connected wirelessly). The office will be the final destination of my Elise so it'll be interesting how it goes once I finally get it there. I'll be sure to report back once I do.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,084 of 13,856
RCA 6BQ7A / Tung Sol 7236

This is another small tube that surprise me..the 6BQ7A. This was introduced to me by my good friend @HeatFan12 in the DV thread. I hope you're doing well mate. 
tongue.gif

I bought a pack of 5 NOS NIB tubes because it was sold as a lot of 5 and it's cheap. It cost $21.95 for the 5. Adapters are the 6CG7 to 6SN7 adapters at $17.80 a pair.

I was unable to test this on the DV because it hums badly but now on Elise it is totally silent.

This is the 2nd small tube which sounded really good to me. So good in fact I was impressed and think it's even better than the 6N23P because it's more linear and smoother across the FR.

Sadly each time when I get a good feeling about a set of tubes, I'll be totally gobsmacked when I return to FDD20/ECC31. I'll shake my head in disbelief that 2031 is so much more superior in definition, soundstage and total musical enjoyment. I'm still looking at it in disbelief but my ears are loving it.

Good night. I'm out tomorrow so enjoy. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,085 of 13,856
  I wouldn't say that mine is susceptible to hum - more that I'm severely provoking it. I originally had it next to a modern, digital base-station and there was no hum, but next to an ancient, pre-digital base-station I get a little hum. I'm actually very impressed with it's "hum-resistance".
My office set-up sounds pretty similar to yours (2 computers, 3 monitors, but no cable-modem (wi-fi access point, though), and the printer is connected wirelessly). The office will be the final destination of my Elise so it'll be interesting how it goes once I finally get it there. I'll be sure to report back once I do.

TJ, very interesting. Maybe we work in the same company. 
bigsmile_face.gif

You office setup should be fine and not induce hum. However will look forward to your report.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,086 of 13,856
Sadly each time when I get a good feeling about a set of tubes, I'll be totally gobsmacked when I return to FDD20/ECC31. I'll shake my head in disbelief that 2031 is so much more superior in definition, soundstage and total musical enjoyment. I'm still looking at it in disbelief but my ears are loving it.

I have the same thing happen. While a newly tried sets of tubes sound good, and you'd be happy with it, if that was all you had...

I find I am down to a few preferred sets of tubes as "best"

1> 2031 Combo + Mullard 6080 are the superior set with Beyer DT-990's

2> C3gS + 5998's are great in DT-990 and also enjoyed in the Senn 580's.

3> Late 50's Sylvania 6SN7's and 5998 powers are great in both phones, but most enjoyed w/Senn 580's

Am looking forward to hearing (2) FDD20's (well burned in) and 5998 as powers.

Also note: The China adapter maker never produced what I asked for and instead went all the way back to the start and wants to know if I want the 12v wires going through the base of the guide pin! I thought we had the whole 'need' figured out...!!! Ugh :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,087 of 13,856
Hi JV,

Try Google translate:

"I don't want the 12 volt wires coming out from the guide pin - I want them to come from two holes in the base on the side."

“我不希望12伏的電線從引導針出來 - 我希望他們來自兩個孔側面的基地。 ”

“Wǒ bù xīwàng 12 fú de diànxiàn cóng yǐndǎo zhēn chūlái - wǒ xīwàng tāmen láizì liǎng gè kǒng cèmiàn de jīdì. ”

This setting is traditional Chinese. There is also a setting for simplified Chinese (whatever that means.)

Simplified:
“我不希望12伏的电线从引导针出来 - 我希望他们来自两个孔侧面的基地。 ”

“Wǒ bù xīwàng 12 fú de diànxiàn cóng yǐndǎo zhēn chūlái - wǒ xīwàng tāmen láizì liǎng gè kǒng cèmiàn de jīdì. ”

Have used Google Translate in the past with Russian sellers with good results.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,089 of 13,856
  6N23P Russian Voskhod Rocket logo 1975 / Mullard 6080

The 1975 version (deemed the best) was reviewed by a gentleman in Head-Fi who spends considerable time reviewing a whole bunch of tubes he was conferred the title of Contributor by Head-Fi.

I want to talk about this tube here together with this song 'Nine million bicycles'.

First of all this 6N23P when paired with 5998 was a bit too much on the bass. A bit overpowering. It's a case of 5998 not fitting every situation. I then switched to Mullard 6080 and in this pairing it became incredibly sweet, punchy, dynamic with excellent detail and clarity. In fact I was astounded how good this pairing sounds. I most wholeheartedly recommend this combination. I just wonder how much better the more expensive Amperex 7308 would be.

I paid $33 for this pair of 6N23P and $56 for my Mullard. You also need to buy 6922 to 6SN7 adapters. $19.80 a pair.
So it's incredibly good sound for not too much money. My tubes are already burn in on the DV whilst waiting for Elise.

For auditioning these tubes, I play one of my favourite tracks by Katie Melua, 'Nine Million Bicycles'. Those of you in UK and Europe should know her. In 2006, she was UK's best selling female artist and Europe's highest selling European female artist. She's also incredibly rich from her record sales. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nine million bicycles in Beijing
Six billion people in the world
Twelve billion light years from the edge    
bigsmile_face.gif

Again I have no hum in using 6N23P. I'm incredibly happy with Elise so far.

I have a couple pairs one PHILIPS SQ 7308/E188cc and the other pair MINIWATT DARIO E188CC and i would say that for me they are the best sounding driver tubes that i use in my WA2  top end and clarity defines those tubes in my amp.                                                                                                                                                                                 

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,091 of 13,856

6N23P Russian Voskhod Rocket logo 1975 / Mullard 6080

The 1975 version (deemed the best) was reviewed by a gentleman in Head-Fi who spends considerable time reviewing a whole bunch of tubes he was conferred the title of Contributor by Head-Fi.

I want to talk about this tube here together with this song 'Nine million bicycles'.

First of all this 6N23P when paired with 5998 was a bit too much on the bass. A bit overpowering. It's a case of 5998 not fitting every situation. I then switched to Mullard 6080 and in this pairing it became incredibly sweet, punchy, dynamic with excellent detail and clarity. In fact I was astounded how good this pairing sounds. I most wholeheartedly recommend this combination. I just wonder how much better the more expensive Amperex 7308 would be.

I paid $33 for this pair of 6N23P and $56 for my Mullard. You also need to buy 6922 to 6SN7 adapters. $19.80 a pair.
So it's incredibly good sound for not too much money. My tubes are already burn in on the DV whilst waiting for Elise.

For auditioning these tubes, I play one of my favourite tracks by Katie Melua, 'Nine Million Bicycles'. Those of you in UK and Europe should know her. In 2006, she was UK's best selling female artist and Europe's highest selling European female artist. She's also incredibly rich from her record sales. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nine million bicycles in Beijing
Six billion people in the world
Twelve billion light years from the edge    
bigsmile_face.gif

Again I have no hum in using 6N23P. I'm incredibly happy with Elise so far.

I have a couple pairs one PHILIPS SQ 7308/E188cc and the other pair MINIWATT DARIO E188CC and i would say that for me they are the best sounding driver tubes that i use in my WA2  top end and clarity defines those tubes in my amp.                                                                                                                                                                                 

Again i was lucky with those i couldnt pay the guy fast when i found out about these tubes 

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,095 of 13,856
Mike you're invited to come visit me with those tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

And where would that be mate . .You never know what the future holds a couple years ago a headfi buddy (Audiofanboy) in the Littledot tube rolling guide thread living in outskirts of Paris came for a visit with his father one afternoon on his way to the States my wife and i showed them the sites we had a ball what are the odds of that happening so be careful what you wish for lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back