Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #10,099 of 11,833
Hi Scutey,

In a word punchy.
Hi SMF, That sounds just what i'm after, my fave power tube at the mo is the Mullard 6080, which has pretty good dynamics and bass, so the TS should be ideal, I've seen some on eBay at a reasonable price, so that will probably be my next purchase!.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #10,100 of 11,833
Hi SMF, That sounds just what i'm after, my fave power tube at the mo is the Mullard 6080, which has pretty good dynamics and bass, so the TS should be ideal, I've seen some on eBay at a reasonable price, so that will probably be my next purchase!.
Hi Scutey,
The 7236 are nice, but if you are saving up, you might as well get the best ones:
Tung Sol/Chatham 5998 with dimpled "domino" plates. Also appear rebranded here and there as IBM etc. Sometimes marked 6520 or 3999, but you have to look for those domino plates.
Bendix 6080WB with graphite plates. You can find them under the Tung Sol/Chatham labels, and also Raytheon, which may be the cheapest alternative - just make sure that they are Bendix graphite tubes and not regular 6080 Raytheon. Grahite plates only come in the WB designation.
GEC 6080. These are my current favorite, but they are very pricey. Try to find Haltron branded for less, or unbranded, but it means that you have to be familiar with how they look.

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #10,102 of 11,833
Hi Scutey,
The 7236 are nice, but if you are saving up, you might as well get the best ones:
Tung Sol/Chatham 5998 with dimpled "domino" plates. Also appear rebranded here and there as IBM etc. Sometimes marked 6520 or 3999, but you have to look for those domino plates.
Bendix 6080WB with graphite plates. You can find them under the Tung Sol/Chatham labels, and also Raytheon, which may be the cheapest alternative - just make sure that they are Bendix graphite tubes and not regular 6080 Raytheon. Grahite plates only come in the WB designation.
GEC 6080. These are my current favorite, but they are very pricey. Try to find Haltron branded for less, or unbranded, but it means that you have to be familiar with how they look.
Hi mordy,
Thanks for your input. I'd be very happy to own any of those that you mentioned, the ones i'd really like to get are the TS 5998, or any of the others, problem for me is living in the UK, almost all that are for sale are in the US meaning postage and customs/duty can make it prohibitively expensive, however I am saving up for a really nice pair, and I am patient, I usually look at least twice a day, and with a bit of that patience I will hopefully in the not too distant future be able to get a pair of any those that you mentioned, I like to go by the motto "good things come to those who wait" !.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #10,107 of 11,833
I'm already curious about different tubes. I gave that EBay a look and tried to find a seller in the US. Are these even worth checking out?
Or would I be better off going with this?

No way !! ridiculously overpriced tubes, stay away from that seller. There are many very nice NOS 6SN7GTBs tubes around, on sale for a lot less, I have a few. Another matter is how they sound in the Elise/Euforia, as I said before a demanding amp that "likes" some tubes much more than others. For example, some 6SN7GTBs that sounded great in my old fully modded LD amp, do not perform the same in the Elise/Euforia. Some GTBs that are very nice in this amp are the Sylvania chrome tops from late fifties vintage, the ITT/Hitachi or Raytheon/Toshibas. The Sylvanias are much more common, and I think you can get a really good pair for around $40....

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #10,108 of 11,833
No way !! ridiculously overpriced tubes, stay away from that seller. There are many very nice NOS 6SN7GTBs tubes around, on sale for a lot less, I have a few. Another matter is how they sound in the Elise/Euforia, as I said before a demanding amp that "likes" some tubes much more than others. For example, some 6SN7GTBs that sounded great in my old fully modded LD amp, do not perform the same in the Elise/Euforia. Some GTBs that are very nice in this amp are the Sylvania chrome tops from late fifties vintage, the ITT/Hitachi or Raytheon/Toshibas. The Sylvanias are much more common, and I think you can get a really good pair for around $40....

Thank you for that info.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #10,109 of 11,833
My area of solitude.
20171216_122203.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back