Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #10,081 of 11,833
Yes indeed, the Elise/Euforia does like 6080 tubes. And I am a big fan of “coke bottle” 6AS7Gs...but this particular amp can sing with nice 6080s. I like the Tung-Sol/Chatham 6080, but the Mullard 6080 or CV2984 is absolutely great in this amp...
My favourite so far, is the Mullard 6080, RCA is also rather nice too, in rich, warm way, I would like to give the TS a try but i'll have to save up for that!.

Dec 9, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #10,082 of 11,833
Guys I've been using my NOS EL3N's for the last few days, I won't go into detail as that has been done far better than I can do, suffice to say that they are wonderful!, I do however have a small problem, they hum, albeit a fairly low level hum, I can't tell if it's coming from the adapter or the tubes, I realise that they are NOS and only have about 15 hours on them but would it be worth doing a burn in on my DV?, has this been a problem for anyone else with these tubes?.

Dec 9, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #10,083 of 11,833
Hopefully the last update until I have my sweet Elise by my side. It cleared Customs and was released for final delivery!

I just hope all the time waited was worth it. I remembered the short time I had with it was amazing. It was just that faint noise that sounded like dirty vinyl being played, that made me send it for repair.

But the music was just so natural and clean that I remembered falling asleep with my headphones on. And I don't mean it was boring.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #10,084 of 11,833
20171211_101651.jpg My Elise is finally back in my possession.
I went and picked it up from the P.O.

Total time:
How many days ago... 129 days
How many weeks ago... 18 weeks
How many months ago... 4 months
How many hours ago... 3096 hours
How many minutes ago... 185760 minutes
How many seconds ago... 11145600 seconds

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #10,085 of 11,833
My Elise is finally back in my possession.
I went and picked it up from the P.O.

Total time:
How many days ago... 129 days
How many weeks ago... 18 weeks
How many months ago... 4 months
How many hours ago... 3096 hours
How many minutes ago... 185760 minutes
How many seconds ago... 11145600 seconds
All is well that ends well... How does it sound?
And there may still be hope for my Russian tubes that disappeared 8/16/17 in the US Customs.....

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #10,086 of 11,833
My Elise is finally back in my possession.

It's a package I'm familiar with. I received Elise twice and Euforia once. All without any hassles. I don't know why yours take so long in customs. Happy for you though. You will enjoy Elise. Depending on how you approach head-fi, this could be the only amp you need or it could be the start of an audio discovery. Enjoy. :)

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #10,087 of 11,833
It's a package I'm familiar with. I received Elise twice and Euforia once. All without any hassles. I don't know why yours take so long in customs. Happy for you though. You will enjoy Elise. Depending on how you approach head-fi, this could be the only amp you need or it could be the start of an audio discovery. Enjoy. :)

This will be my End game amp for quite some time. Unless Feliks gets a U.S. distributor. Then I'd probably get a Euforia.:)

All is well that ends well... How does it sound?
And there may still be hope for my Russian tubes that disappeared 8/16/17 in the US Customs.....

Haven't even opened it up yet. I dropped it off at home and went back to work. Will get to listen in a few hours.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #10,088 of 11,833
I've been listening to the Elise all last night and left work early today to give it some more of my time. It is everything I remembered plus some.

The entire amp has been overhauled to 2018 standards. The only parts reused are the enclosure, transformers and RCA jacks on back.

The noise issue that it had when I received it prior is gone. Dead silent background when no music present.

The only way I can describe the sound is fluid and natural. Very relaxed, yet energetic at the same time. The presentation of music is almost 3D. The instruments are not just a sound on a flat plane, but an actual point in space. Feels like if I close my eyes I could reach out and touch Claptons guitar.

My headphones are McIntosh MHP1000 and K7XX. The K7XX have completely transformed when plugged into Elise. No longer a dull, soul less analytical headphone. But a musical and spacious sound. And also rather forgiving with the less than perfect recordings.
The McIntosh are a different animal. For a closed can they have a rather large soundstage. They are more detailed than the K7XX and retrieve quieter sounds a bit better. But this also leads to them sometimes not the best choice for less than perfect recordings.

I am using stock power tubes and the upgraded PSVane drivers. I MIGHT try a different tube based on this thread. We'll have to wait and see, though.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #10,089 of 11,833
I've been listening to the Elise all last night and left work early today to give it some more of my time. It is everything I remembered plus some.

The entire amp has been overhauled to 2018 standards. The only parts reused are the enclosure, transformers and RCA jacks on back.

The noise issue that it had when I received it prior is gone. Dead silent background when no music present.

The only way I can describe the sound is fluid and natural. Very relaxed, yet energetic at the same time. The presentation of music is almost 3D. The instruments are not just a sound on a flat plane, but an actual point in space. Feels like if I close my eyes I could reach out and touch Claptons guitar.

My headphones are McIntosh MHP1000 and K7XX. The K7XX have completely transformed when plugged into Elise. No longer a dull, soul less analytical headphone. But a musical and spacious sound. And also rather forgiving with the less than perfect recordings.
The McIntosh are a different animal. For a closed can they have a rather large soundstage. They are more detailed than the K7XX and retrieve quieter sounds a bit better. But this also leads to them sometimes not the best choice for less than perfect recordings.

I am using stock power tubes and the upgraded PSVane drivers. I MIGHT try a different tube based on this thread. We'll have to wait and see, though.

Hi cty,
Enjoy! Take your time - the thread has many suggestions for improved sound from various tubes in all price ranges.

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #10,090 of 11,833
I'm already curious about different tubes. I gave that EBay a look and tried to find a seller in the US. Are these even worth checking out?Screenshot_20171212-213655.png
Or would I be better off going with this?
Screenshot_20171212-213921.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #10,091 of 11,833
I'm already curious about different tubes. I gave that EBay a look and tried to find a seller in the US. Are these even worth checking out?
Or would I be better off going with this?
The Elektro-Harmonics look like current production Russian tubes; the Raytheon are very over priced. Cannot remember reading glowing reviews of either - don't think that they are worth getting since there are so many other better and cheaper alternatives.
Nothing wrong in ordering from abroad - if everything works out most tubes arrive in a reasonable time. Here is a tube for $20/pair shipped that is a real sleeper and an excellent tube:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-1-p...hash=item1ed4315571:m:mpgAbFtOIoPkWboWGSID9sw

Make sure to select Ribber Anode 1952-55

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #10,092 of 11,833
The Elektro-Harmonics look like current production Russian tubes; the Raytheon are very over priced. Cannot remember reading glowing reviews of either - don't think that they are worth getting since there are so many other better and cheaper alternatives.
Nothing wrong in ordering from abroad - if everything works out most tubes arrive in a reasonable time. Here is a tube for $20/pair shipped that is a real sleeper and an excellent tube:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-1-p...hash=item1ed4315571:m:mpgAbFtOIoPkWboWGSID9sw

Make sure to select Ribber Anode 1952-55

Thank you! Another question: is it better to buy matched pairs?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #10,095 of 11,833
I'm after a cheap set of powers, I've 2 in mind, the ge 6as7ga, which I already have pair of but also interested in the thomson 6080, there's not a lot of info on these part from a review on tubemaze, has anybody used the thomson?.

I recently bought a pair of Tungsol 7236 power tubes, these have to be some of the best power tubes I’ve heard in the Elise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back