Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #8,476 of 11,833
Hi @Gjoel, what's your impression of the TotalDAC? Worth the hype? It's being used in so many exhibition systems in hi-end shows I can't help but be intrigued now that I know you auditioned it in your own convenience.

Buy the car and Yggy. Forget the TotalDAC and save your marriage and live happily ever after...... and you have to listen to Yggy.. if this DAC doesn't move you..... she's yours.

Elise and Euforia singing now like shelahs.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #8,477 of 11,833
Thanks for your feedback UT.

The Mimby haven't been in stock for ages in EU. After your reply I looked again, and there it was! So took it as a sign and did order it. Should ship out before 26th June.

Can't wait to hear a MB dac in my system.

Only MB dac I have been trying is a totalDAC costing twice my car:o2smile:

So looking forward to compare Mimby to my internal dac in Auralic..

I think you did the right thing. I saw a Mimby on the local classified for $300 aussie dollars and while I was debating about buying it and comparing it to Yggy, someone beat me to it..... this multibit doesn't last long on the for sale section.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #8,478 of 11,833
Buy the car and Yggy. Forget the TotalDAC and save your marriage and live happily ever after...... and you have to listen to Yggy.. if this DAC doesn't move you..... she's yours.

Elise and Euforia singing now like shelahs.
At this point I can't even afford the mimby, let alone an Yggdrasil or a totalDAC... Perhaps sometime within the next five years DACs will have evolved so much that the-" -then vintage - Yggy will cost 350 euros, like my Benchmark DAC1 costs now, and then I'll be able to get it!
Maybe I'll get yours!

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #8,479 of 11,833
I've been thinking.... if I have one headphone in Elise and another headphone in Euforia, I could listen through both tube amps like this. Which could be a breakthrough in sound....

hd800.jpg

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #8,480 of 11,833
At this point I can't even afford the mimby, let alone an Yggdrasil or a totalDAC... Perhaps sometime within the next five years DACs will have evolved so much that the-" -then vintage - Yggy will cost 350 euros, like my Benchmark DAC1 costs now, and then I'll be able to get it!
Maybe I'll get yours!

I expect my Yggy to appreciate 5 times in 5 years times. If it depreciates to 350 euros, I'll have to sue George Soros. Buy the Yggy and leave your children an inheritance but you need to specify who gets it or they will be fighting over it !

Likewise get Elise and Euforia and 'will' it to your son and daughter.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #8,482 of 11,833
Both Elise and Euforia have the same gain at the same 9 o'clock volume position. Definitely more similarities than dis-similarities here and they are not even using identical tubes.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #8,484 of 11,833
I have a feeling that the analogy between Elise and Euforia is like that of the Mimby and Yggy. On first listen, they sound very similar and you think, "What the fish did I buy the Yggy (that cost 10 times more) for?" However as any Yggy owner will tell you, there's no way those 2 DACs sound exactly the same. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #8,485 of 11,833
Mostly, yes, but some were made by National Union.

Thanks Oskari. I know you will expand on it.

I was impressed with the 7N7 enough to use it on Elise on her first exhibit at a Head-Fi meet in 2016. Here it is paired with TS 5998. I don't like using adapters now but the 7N7 sound as good as a classy Sylvania 6SN7 and cheap.... worthwhile looking into it.

900x900px-LL-5cc9e503_DSC_0729.jpeg

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #8,487 of 11,833
Hi @Gjoel, what's your impression of the TotalDAC? Worth the hype? It's being used in so many exhibition systems in hi-end shows I can't help but be intrigued now that I know you auditioned it in your own convenience.

Did try TotalDAC - a Mjölnir electrostatic head amp - Sennheiser HE60/ Stax 007.
And at the same mini meet the TotalDAC also was connected to Liquid Gold - HE1000.

The He60 combo was some of the best I have ever heard. Nothing was missing.
But would I use that much. As UT says, I would rather keep my wife and get a Yggy :angel:

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #8,488 of 11,833
UT is also a marriage counsellor now. Buy Elise and Euforia for a harmonious relationship. She gets one and you get one. No fighting on who gets to listen. Of course you need a DAC that can output to 2 amps simultaneously ... at the moment I can only think of Gumby and Yggy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back