Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #8,492 of 11,833
OMG ..... Elise is sounding so good a few hours into operation. Liquid warm and liquid gold. An athlete that is agile on her feet and swift in her motion, she will run rings in your head. All Elise owners should take pride in this lovely sounding tube amp. Take care of it and roll some decent tubes in it.

With a HD800 or T1 or a modified HD650, you will be smiling even without teeth.

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #8,493 of 11,833
Loctal tubes never became as popular as octal tubes.

Yeah but why? They both have octopus legs except the loctal has slimmer legs. In fact the 7N7 pins slot in and lock more securely. And Sylvania developed it for ruggedized applications such as automotive radios.

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #8,497 of 11,833
Ok..... I'm buying a one month old or new HD600 with box and original invoice for $230 aussie dollars. Too good to pass up on and I need HD600 in my stable. :smile_phones:

That's US$174 !!!

cheaper than some of my tubes !!!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #8,498 of 11,833
Ok..... I'm buying a one month old or new HD600 with box and original invoice for $230 aussie dollars. Too good to pass up on and I need HD600 in my stable. :smile_phones:

That's US$174 !!!

cheaper than some of my tubes !!!

Wow, yeah that is a great deal, and a wonderful match with your OTL.....congrats

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #8,500 of 11,833
Another lovely Japanese tube is the Hitachi 6SN7GTB with the black plates (ITT rebrands are not uncommon).

I hope you are right. I just bought 4 of these Hitachi.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162505624136

s-l1600 (32).jpg

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #8,501 of 11,833
How are things in Eliseland? I've not stopped by in ages. I stopped using my Elise for a long time, just using my Class D monoblocks and a volume pot to drive my speakers. I've been enjoying the crazy clarity a lot, but started to get a bit of a craving for lushness once more, so have gone back to the quad 909/Elise combo for a while. It IS lovely. Very lovely.

My outright winning combo seems to be EL3N as powers and Sylvania 6SN7WGT. Those Sylvanias seem to have a rep for being rather dry sounding, but they're still developing with use, and they're pretty much the nicest, most fluid driver I own. They took a very long time to wake up.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #8,502 of 11,833
My outright winning combo seems to be EL3N as powers and Sylvania 6SN7WGT. Those Sylvanias seem to have a rep for being rather dry sounding, but they're still developing with use, and they're pretty much the nicest, most fluid driver I own. They took a very long time to wake up.
hi @richdytch, how long would that be? Weeks, months, years? I just got these and sang their praises, so I'm definitely interested to know more!

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #8,503 of 11,833
Sylvania 6sn7wgt shouldn't take weeks, months, years to really shine. If it takes years, it would be probably be nearly dead by then - burn out !

Anyhoo, I've Sylvania 6sn7wgt and Bendix 6080wb in Elise now and let me tell you that I DO like this combination very much. I hope the Hitachi boys will perform just as well because they were quite cheap. $78 for 4. I like such bargain. Buy one get one free. Buy 2 get 3 free. Works for me.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #8,504 of 11,833
2nd night of Elise burn in and she's already sounding very good. I perceive a slight leaner and more defined tone compared to Euforia. Perhaps with further burn in, it will flesh out more. Even if it doesn't, this is a very captivating tone and I really like how sweet and liquid Elise sounds. This is not a dry tone but it is moist like a freshly baked muffin.

This combination is a stunner. PC > Yggy > Elise > HD800 or modified HD650 using Sylvania 6sn7wgt and Bendix 6080wb.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #8,505 of 11,833
hi @richdytch, how long would that be? Weeks, months, years? I just got these and sang their praises, so I'm definitely interested to know more!

Hi @angpsi it's hard to put an exact figure on it. I think initially they went from sounding very closed in and nasal, to being very pleasant, maybe over the course of 50 hours. I've probably got another 200-300 hours on them now. That's through 5 months of intermittent use. The improvement is gradual and subtle, but whereas they used to sound quite dry at one time, they've really loosened up. The treble on them is glorious, and they're possibly the 'wettest' sounding tube I own now. But they're great across the frequency range - solid, sweet, and they do make everything sound big. Definitely will be buying some more of these, as a backup.

Please note though, my observations are made listening over speakers, using the Elise as a preamp. I rarely use headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back