Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #8,521 of 11,833
What about the quad Hitachi 6sn7gtb black glass that I bought? Are they any good?

My old pair of RCA 6AS7G is about to die... it's not the pins.
Hi UT,

I do not have any experience with the Hitachi 6SN7GTB - only with the Channel Master. It took me a long time to identify them as NEC (Nippon Electric Co). There was a fair amount of cross branding, so it is difficult to know who the Japanese manufacturer actually was. Here is another Japanese name that manufactured for others as well as for the US market: Shibuara.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #8,522 of 11,833
I don't have time to revisit my lounge speaker system yet. I'm too busy in the study with 2 tube amps, 3 headphones, 100+ tubes, 2 DACs, 1 CD player, 1 turntable and active desktop speakers.... forgot to mention the V-Monk.

I don't even have time to go into the kitchen !!!

My new deck is unpainted...

My lawn is not mowed...

My swimming pool is not cleaned...

My gutters are over flowing with leaves....

My dog is not walked....

I haven't tweeted in ages..... :)

Life of a head-fier....

The rest doesn't matter, but I think you should walk Finn!

I'm a Finn as well, and I need my leaks. :ghost:

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #8,524 of 11,833
Hello everyone, new Elise owner checking here! Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the plethora of information in this thread as well as the old one.

As a point of reference, I currently have Philips el3n and ken-rad 6sn7 tubes :)

If I wanted driver tubes with big, boomy (not necessarily accurate) bass, which direction would you guys point me in?

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #8,525 of 11,833
Hello everyone, new Elise owner checking here! Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the plethora of information in this thread as well as the old one.

As a point of reference, I currently have Philips el3n and ken-rad 6sn7 tubes :)

If I wanted driver tubes with big, boomy (not necessarily accurate) bass, which direction would you guys point me in?

Welcome Tim. Always happy to see a new Elise owner here. She's a unicorn btw.

The driver I would recommend is Foton 6H8C (cheaper) or RCA 6sn7gt vt231 smoke glass (more expensive).

Hang on a sec..... those ken rad 6sn7 should be more than ample with bass.. if not I'm afraid you might need a subwoofer. :ksc75smile:

Edit:- Mullard ECC31 is strong on bass too but I try not to roll with adapters now.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #8,528 of 11,833
Welcome Tim. Always happy to see a new Elise owner here. She's a unicorn btw.

The driver I would recommend is Foton 6H8C (cheaper) or RCA 6sn7gt vt231 smoke glass (more expensive).

Hang on a sec..... those ken rad 6sn7 should be more than ample with bass.. if not I'm afraid you might need a subwoofer. :ksc75smile:

Thanks UT, does the ken rad 6sn7 have even more bass than the Foton 6H8C? The fotons are pretty cheap so I might just order them anyways. You know what they say about tubes.. the more the merrier :wink:

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #8,529 of 11,833

No, it is not a TSBGRP.....looks like a Ken Rad by the staggered pins at the top. Good tube, nice bass.

TSBGRP looks like this on top
DSC08322.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #8,530 of 11,833
Thanks UT, does the ken rad 6sn7 have even more bass than the Foton 6H8C? The fotons are pretty cheap so I might just order them anyways. You know what they say about tubes.. the more the merrier :wink:

I can't tell you that .... yet. Imagine the honourable UT not having Ken Rad 6sn7 vt231 yet?

Ok ... that will be addressed because Whirlwind just told me that is a Ken Rad and I will but Oshipao's other Ken Rad - brilliant !!!

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #8,534 of 11,833
Oh yes !!! I bought that Raytheon 6sn7gt black glass NOS NIB gleaming glass and pin.

I jumped the gun....that looks like a National Union and not a Ken Rad, the Ken Rad has silver up from the base for about a half an inch.

You are going to need a match for a National union...they are nice tubes.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #8,535 of 11,833
I jumped the gun....that looks like a National Union and not a Ken Rad, the Ken Rad has silver up from the base for about a half an inch.

You are going to need a match for a National union...they are nice tubes.

Ok.... the seller has another NU that is smoke glass instead of black. You think it sounds the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back