Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 7, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #8,326 of 11,833
Has anyone had experience of the Elise with Focal Elear headphones?

Will repost my post from other thread:

"Time to share a bit, and not only read :)

i'm also a fairly new Elise owner, around 2 months. Using it in a bedroom setup with a Auralic Aries mini as streamer and dac.

I have mainly been using it with Focal Elear, Beyerdynamic T1.
What a surprising and wonderful match with Elear, very engaging sound.

Last week i found a pair of HEX priced fair, and took the chance to sell Elear to finance em'.

Did own the HEX before, and did really miss em'. Didn't really know what to expect from Elise and HEX. Could only find one member mention them together. But what a pleasantly surprise, when i plugged them in today :)

What a magical vocal that pair can reproduce! was afraid the high output impedance from Elise would screw it up with the sensitive HEX.

Have only been using stock tubes, but got a pair psvane uk-6sn7 arriving tomorrow!"

Can only recommend Elise with Elear.
They are a very sweet match.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #8,327 of 11,833
I do. I run the HD800s and the Elear on the Elise.

The Elear sounds wonderful on the Elise. The Elear retains it speed, aggression and the pairing with Elise adds soundstage and musicality to the mix. A wonderful euphoric pairing

As compared to pairing with a solid state, the bass on the Elear becomes a little looser. However, the added musicality, soundstage and euphoric tone more than makes up for it!

And what about the HD800s?

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #8,328 of 11,833
The hd800s 's are a bit out of my price range, & from what I've read some think they are a little clinical & I'm looking for a less demanding/fatiguing headphone, The Elear looks very interesting coming from a manufacturer with a vast reputation for product, superb speakers, that's why I asked the question, more interested in people's opinions of the pairing of the Elise and Elear.

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #8,332 of 11,833
Glad everyone is having a great time with Elise and various headphones.

Elise will be home bound to me soon from Feliks Audio. In the meantime, I'm using her younger brother Euforia with HD800. Perfect match.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #8,336 of 11,833
And what about the HD800s?

I like the pairing of HD800s with the Elise more than the Elear. It makes the HD800s more musical.

Basically, just like a lot tube amps, pairing it with a brighter headphone is a great match.

Jun 8, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #8,337 of 11,833
For all Elise owners, do take a moment to read my post here. It is important.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...sheeps-clothing.831743/page-192#post-13534969

hm. this chastens me quite a bit. :pensive:

I always knew that those tubes are not officially recommended, of course. But since the max. current didn´t exceed 6,8 A and all you troupers were raving about the sound, my adventurous vein prevailed as I was eager to make the most out of the Elise sonically. :) I don´t think you posted about your left channel going mute here in the Elise-thread back then but then of course you can´t post everything twice and maybe I just missed it because it must have happened at the time when I opted out for a while in April/May.. Fact is I missed it. And now I´m concerned. I use "EL-" tubes pretty much all the time...

I invested quite a bit in those tubes, I could have easily purchased the GEC 6080s and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7wgta, or maybe even some "holy grail" - 6AS7-tubes instead, now I´m frankly thinking of selling the lot and actually doing so...

Jun 8, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #8,338 of 11,833
hm. this chastens me quite a bit. :pensive:

I always knew that those tubes are not officially recommended, of course. But since the max. current didn´t exceed 6,8 A and all you troupers were raving about the sound, my adventurous vein prevailed as I was eager to make the most out of the Elise sonically. :) I don´t think you posted about your left channel going mute here in the Elise-thread back then but then of course you can´t post everything twice and maybe I just missed it because it must have happened at the time when I opted out for a while in April/May.. Fact is I missed it. And now I´m concerned. I use "EL-" tubes pretty much all the time...

I invested quite a bit in those tubes, I could have easily purchased the GEC 6080s and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7wgta, or maybe even some "holy grail" - 6AS7-tubes instead, now I´m frankly thinking of selling the lot and actually doing so...

All is not lost Lobster. It would take a much longer usage to cause damage. So going on rehab is good. Go back to recommended tubes and enjoy your Gumby > Elise > HD800 or LCD3.

.... and chase the holy grail..... nah GEC 6080 is good enough. It is really good !!!

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #8,339 of 11,833

Let me rephrase that: I was going to buy those anyway sooner or later,
All is not lost Lobster. It would take a much longer usage to cause damage. So going on rehab is good. Go back to recommended tubes and enjoy your Gumby > Elise > HD800 or LCD3.

.... and chase the holy grail..... nah GEC 6080 is good enough. It is really good !!!

Thank you for the encouragement. Sure, I don´t think that it has yet been damaged either, It´s just that I can´t help feeling that I´ll have to reassort my setup now all over again, thinking I was already settled. Aaaargh, all those adapters.... :persevere: I really have to sleep on it for a few nights.
In the meantime, it´s back to the PsVane 6SN7 driving my Mullard 6080 :beyersmile:

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #8,340 of 11,833
Hi everyone,

As we are discussing compatability etc. I got an answer from Michal Feliks regarding the total current draw.

Question 1:

Me: "Hello Michal, I have a Elise amp and wonder if 6.9Ah total draw current would be too much?"

Michal: "Hello Emil! Yes, you can use these tubes as an alternative without any problems."

Question 2:

Me: "Thank you Michal, Just so we can confirm we are talking about the same tube (see link). ECC32 are 0.95Ah vs 6SN7 0.6Ah. http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ecc32.html. Some think that these drivers paired with powers would be too much for the transformator. I just want to keep it safe."

Michal: "Yes, you can use it even when the current is like in ECC32. The transformator is prepared for work with higher current."

So to my understanding, 6.9Ah total would not cause any problems regarding stressing the transformer. Maybe other parts are more of a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back