Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 29, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #3,211 of 11,833

Very interesting.
Could you post a picture of your set-up and maybe show a link to the adapter you are using?
Are you just putting one single triode 6J5 into each driver socket using an ECC31 to 6SN7 adapter?
I would have thought each driver socket would need two 6J5's connected by a standard dual 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter, which is what we used with Garage amps.
I would think your 6J5 set up could be modified to hopefully remove the noise.

+1. @Audict123 please share a photo of your setup with those 6J5's in Elise. I too was under the impression you need two 6J5's per socket, being single triodes vs. the dual triode tubes that are used in all other cases. I've found the dual 6J5's however sub par as drivers, and were better as powers - though combined with 6BL7's + dual 6J5's (3 tubes per socket as drivers). I don't recall if dual 6J5's as powers are electrically compatible or not, but in any case I'm about to sell off all my 6J5's, so maybe I can try a new idea before it's too late, if anyone has input. Otherwise I had actually concluded that the stock power tubes were superior to the aforementioned 'Christmas tree' setup.

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #3,212 of 11,833
I'll make a picture of the setup soon, but it's very simple: just put a single 6J5 in your regular ECC31->6SN7 adapter (the same one used for many tubes, including ECC31 but also 6N7G etc). Just try it (taking normal caution when testing new tubes: old  phones and/or volume down) and see if you like it.

Glenn helped me to assess with certainty that the triodes WITHIN each 6SN7 are paralleled. (That was done by checking the resistance between the following 3 pairs of pinholes in a single tube socket: plate 1&2 / cathode 1&2 / grid 1&2). With one single 6J5 in (or the ancestors, 6C5 or even 6L5 - they all work!) you just get less gain. But Elise has plenty of reserve, at least with my HD650's. If the triodes within each 6SN7 would have been connected in series (which is falsely stated here and there on the Elise forum), there would be no sound at all (as the signal has to pass both to reach the next stage = the power tube).

I've seen pictures of the 'christmas tree' DecentLevi mentioned with the common dual adapter 6J5+6J5 to 6SN7, but I didn't even try that dual option jet.

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,214 of 11,833
@Audict123, indeed interesting you were able to get a 6J5 class tube working as drivers as a single tube, even with a mis-purposed adapter, single instead of dual triodes, and a tube that uses just 0.3 vs. 0.6ah of a 6SN7. For me, I'd prefer the cautionary route - that may be producing sound in your Elise, but perhaps the distortion you're hearing is an early warning sign of a looming mishap. IMO, this sounds much riskier than my (now retired) Christmas Tree setup.

Also I would say even if the internals of the 6J5MG are identical to the Visseaux 6J5's, they are not equal since they don't have the bottle-shaped glass, which does make a difference in sound.

I don't have an ECC31 adapter anyway. I still have a perfect condition pair of Visseaux 6J5's, as well as Sylvania and Selectron - PM me if anyone would like them. The Visseaux are selling for $200/ pair now but I would charge 1/3rd that since I bought my pair for $75 last year.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #3,216 of 11,833
  Interesting tube the 6CJ5M - would you know how it compares to the Visseux 6N7G? Is the 6N7G the dual triode version of the 6CJ5M?

Well, yes and no. It runs at the same heater voltage and can work with the same plate, cathode and grid voltages as used in Elise, but the amplification factor is much higher. Also, the 6N7G could be used in class B with 10 watt output! The 6C5 is direct ancestor of the 6SN7 (going back in time: 6J5 / 6C5 / 6L5 / 6P5=76 (other socket) / 37 / 27). I'm actually working on testing all ancestors in Elise, and from the electrical properties it is clear that at least 6J5 6C5 and 6L5 should fit perfectly to Elise. And yes - also as singles. From 6P5 on it gets tricky as the grid bias of Elise is formally too low (the cathode current will be higher dan advised, although still just within spec for this one...) but that should be fixable by increading the cathode resistor. Didn't have the guts to try it yet - but Glenn has been really helpful in better understanding what is possible and what not.

DecentLevi: I can assure you that the pin configuration of the ECC31->ECC33 adapter is exactly right (the proof is in the datasheets). It's only that the pins for the second triode remain unused.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #3,217 of 11,833
Well I know this is the "one tube per socket" thread, but I'm willing to give my (former 
cool.gif
tongue.gif
) address out, should I need to 'take a beating' for the team for this one:

Per Audict the apparent tube aficionado, I've just went ahead and tried quad 6J5's as powers in the Elise (using 6SN7 to dual 6J5 adapters per socket)... after some initial fear, out came a sound that was expansive, perfectly linear, coherent, vibrant, perfect FR and amazingly well refined! Then compared to the 6H13C (stock) powers, the quad 6J5's sounded much better stage, more true to life and better dynamics, as well as more than the Mullard 6080's. However they still fell quite short the legendary Western Electric 421A's, which were at least 50% better yet in terms of realism and dymanics.

The quad 6J5's had a very low gain, yet 'Humphrey', no distortion even at loud levels, and clean / resolving as a whistle. Still I was a bit afraid of risk so I put back in my native-class powers. Maybe Howie or Audict would like to try this also however

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #3,218 of 11,833
  Well I know this is the "one tube per socket" thread, but I'm willing to give my (former 
cool.gif
tongue.gif
) address out, should I need to 'take a beating' for the team for this one:

Per Audict the apparent tube aficionado, I've just went ahead and tried quad 6J5's as powers in the Elise (using 6SN7 to dual 6J5 adapters per socket)... after some initial fear, out came a sound that was expansive, perfectly linear, coherent, vibrant, perfect FR and amazingly well refined! Then compared to the 6H13C (stock) powers, the quad 6J5's sounded much better stage, more true to life and better dynamics, as well as more than the Mullard 6080's. However they still fell quite short the legendary Western Electric 421A's, which were at least 50% better yet in terms of realism and dymanics.

The quad 6J5's had a very low gain, yet 'Humphrey', no distortion even at loud levels, and clean / resolving as a whistle. Still I was a bit afraid of risk so I put back in my native-class powers. Maybe Howie or Audict would like to try this also however

Have you heard less is more?  The less stuff the better it sounds. I don't understand how this can sound better.
I am working on getting rid of tubes and you are adding them.
My next amp is just 2 tubes one EL3N per  channel no driver no nasty coupling capacitors.

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3,220 of 11,833
Glenn I think you missed my entire post that you quoted. It began with saying how I thought I'd give that quad tube setup a try basically as inspired by Audict123, just to see how it sounds, and ends with about going for a single tube per socket setup and am getting rid of these more complex tube setups.

Yes I have more tubes coming, the simple native type. Also just now I was just re-confirming my belief that bit-perfect DAC signal without Windows processing is the way to go; also in tune with "less is more"

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #3,221 of 11,833
It is so wonderful that all kinds of rare 6AS7 tubes became available suddenly - made in Holland and England.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-6AS7G-VINTAGE-TUBE-HOLLAND-MATCHED-PRODUCTION-NOS-5998-6080-A1834-6336-/152291933489?hash=item23754e7d31:g:TA8AAOSw8gVX9wE6

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRITISH-6AS7-HALTRON-power-triode-headphone-tube-amplifier-6080-CV2984-variant-/112186173756?hash=item1a1ed1293c:g:ijkAAOSwMVdYFGnQ&rmvSB=true

Psst, I know where to buy these tubes at a fraction of the price!
s-l1600.jpg

How about $20 for the pair shipped?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N5S-6A7G-ECC230-6N13S-Doube-Triode-Tubes-SVETLANA-BLACK-PLATE-TESTED-/182320729535?hash=item2a73298dbf:g:ndwAAOSwRgJXjUwv

Alas, the Amperex and Haltron appear to be Russian fakes.....I am sure more is to come......

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #3,224 of 11,833
Thanks Mordy for that information.

Haltron were well known to rebrand Russian tubes but the Amperex I'm surprised about. They are not exactly the most expensive tubes around- if the Russians think it's worth their while faking those they will doubtless be flooding the market with GEC's soon (if not already), after all they would only need an easily reproduced fake sticker to dupe many people. We learned in earlier posts that the Chinese are already producing the GEC stickers.

Really puts me off even considering buying these expensive tubes now.

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #3,225 of 11,833
Quote:posts like this one must be made everytime we find FAKES, or even better, open a new Treath - FAKES. All these are Russians 6H5C  Thank you mordy
  It is so wonderful that all kinds of rare 6AS7 tubes became available suddenly - made in Holland and England.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-6AS7G-VINTAGE-TUBE-HOLLAND-MATCHED-PRODUCTION-NOS-5998-6080-A1834-6336-/152291933489?hash=item23754e7d31:g:TA8AAOSw8gVX9wE6

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRITISH-6AS7-HALTRON-power-triode-headphone-tube-amplifier-6080-CV2984-variant-/112186173756?hash=item1a1ed1293c:g:ijkAAOSwMVdYFGnQ&rmvSB=true

Psst, I know where to buy these tubes at a fraction of the price!
s-l1600.jpg

How about $20 for the pair shipped?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N5S-6A7G-ECC230-6N13S-Doube-Triode-Tubes-SVETLANA-BLACK-PLATE-TESTED-/182320729535?hash=item2a73298dbf:g:ndwAAOSwRgJXjUwv

Alas, the Amperex and Haltron appear to be Russian fakes.....I am sure more is to come......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back