Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,926 of 11,833
Hi @hypnos1,

I am just listening to some Penguins while waiting for your review on how to pick GEC 6AS7G tubes and this is the main reason I don't find anything LOL :D

Geek Pulse SFi served me for a while until Beyerdynamic T1 arrived in my house, very good synergy with Sennheiser HD600. I moved on to Chord Mojo and so was I am enjoying my music.

Believe it or not, Chord is musical on its own. I am going to be looking for a DAC for Elise, for now, my setup is Mojo connected directly to T1 and fed from PC with some SACD love right now :) Elise has been in resting mode for good 2 months now since I was DAC-less. I made a bet on Mojo but it did not pair at all with Elise, might try again after the burn in and some new cables, I did not know it's headphone jack will feed the signal into Elise, an amplified signal into an amplifier is a bad idea in my opinion. There are happy Mojo users on this thread, so I still have hope that one day Elise will come back to life. Until then, Mojo 
beyersmile.png

Quote:

Yipee LR...but you need two, mon ami...another one on the cards perhaps?!!
biggrin.gif
...(hope so
wink_face.gif
...)....ENJOY!!...

ps. Whatever happened to your Geek Pulse lol?

Normally prefer his orchestral work, but this is indeed lovely...and first time I've heard this pianist - she's GOOD!

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #2,927 of 11,833
haha ... excellent.  now you can start hunting for an original arnold: english, scottish, cornish dances on lyrita label.  how many $$$$ ??

another vinyl treasure is john renbourn's Sir John A Lot (Of Merrie Englandes Musyk Thyng & Ye Grene Knyghte) ... i bought the windham hill re-release in the late 80s but the original pressing on transatlantic (1968) should be great too.  have a listen:

I love Renbourn. I was lucky enough to meet him on several occasions add to attend some of his guitar masterclasses. Also supported him once with a friend. He was hilarious, generous, and probably the most inspiring musician I've ever met. The last couple of times I saw him play live he took the roof off the place. Sorely missed.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,929 of 11,833
It's been a while since I've been awed by a set of tubes but the Bendix 6080wb are moving me now. 
etysmile.gif

I've tried it with EL3N, various 6SN7s and now with ECC31. The Bendix are special no doubt about it. Thanks Gman for supplying the other Bendix. Still not ready for a review. Just listening to music and loving it.

Btw someone outbid me on the GEC 6080 at US$200 with 2 days to go lol. It ain't fake anymore that's for sure and I ain't chasing it. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,930 of 11,833
I love Renbourn. I was lucky enough to meet him on several occasions add to attend some of his guitar masterclasses. Also supported him once with a friend. He was hilarious, generous, and probably the most inspiring musician I've ever met. The last couple of times I saw him play live he took the roof off the place. Sorely missed.

i agree -- & i was fortunate enough to catch him in action with jacqui mcshee ... maybe 8yr ago ... but my recollection is that he did not seem to be in the best of health then and the sets were rather on the 'slow' side.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,931 of 11,833
i agree -- & i was fortunate enough to catch him in action with jacqui mcshee ... maybe 8yr ago ... but my recollection is that he did not seem to be in the best of health then and the sets were rather on the 'slow' side.

Yeah, I think he'd had some serious health issues and his playing had suffered. But in the last couple of years he seemed to have really got it back.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,932 of 11,833
  It's been a while since I've been awed by a set of tubes but the Bendix 6080wb are moving me now. 
etysmile.gif

I've tried it with EL3N, various 6SN7s and now with ECC31. The Bendix are special no doubt about it. Thanks Gman for supplying the other Bendix. Still not ready for a review. Just listening to music and loving it.

Btw someone outbid me on the GEC 6080 at US$200 with 2 days to go lol. It ain't fake anymore that's for sure and I ain't chasing it. 

my pleasure, UT ... glad it's found a happy home.
now ... why is the gec taking so long to get to LR?   his shipment to me just arrived about an hr ago.

the prices on premium tubes have been crazy for a long while --- now it seems to have reached hysterical proportions -- that's why i'm leaving that parade

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,934 of 11,833
Just saw they are having a head-fi get together close by, see they don't have an Elise, if I would have known earlier may have taken mine. Here is a list of equipment coming, saw the Utopia's on it, may have to go and give them a listen.

Gear List:

Headphones:
ZMF X-Vibro
Ether Flow
Grado sr80
Hifiman HE-350
Hifiman HE400S
Hifiman HE-500
Hifiman HEX
Hifiman HE-6
Beyer T90
Beyer T70p
Beyer DT770
Denon D7000
Denon D600
Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD650
Audeze LCD-3F
Audeze KCD-X
Sony MDR-Z7
Sony MDR-1R
64 Audio U10
AKG K7xx
AKG K701
Bose QC20
64audio U10
Focal Utopia
Tentative ZMF

AMPS:
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Schiit Valhalla 2
Schiit Asgard 2
First Watt F5 Turbo with B1 preamp.
Icon Audio HP-8
Pangea HP201
NuForce HA200
Chord Mojo
Matrix M-stage HPA3-B
Emotiva Mini-X
Stello HP100
Creative B5
Sony UDA-1
Eddie Current Studio
Allnic HPA-5000

Sources:
Schiit gungnir MB
Schiit Modi
Schiit Bifrost MB
Schiit Birfrost 4490
Ultra-fi DAC-41
Theta DSPro Generation II
AT-LP120 turntable + schiit Mani
Questyle QP1R
Chord Mojo
Gustard X12
Bricasti M-1
Mystery tube CD Player

Gadgets:
Gustard U12
Ifi usb
Sony NW-ZX1
Singxer F-1

Edited by JEspina456 - 10/10/16 at 11:23pm

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,935 of 11,833
Please, LR, don't top-post. This site doesn't like it and it's bad netiquette anyway.

Thanks for correcting me, what happens if you top quote? It is more of an OCD issue, I guess.

Look at the miniature size of this wonderful unit. Howie, the headphone jacks are not single ended, connecting them both to your external amp has no special effect, whatsoever. 

Mojo owners on this thread, I need to know what volume level (color code) do you set when you are listening through Elise?

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,936 of 11,833
Oct 13, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2,937 of 11,833
That is a pretty good deal, @mordy I bought mine from amazon for under $900 earlier this year.  Great phones, the best of the phones I have had, 650, 700. and T1. Very happy with them. Nice catch

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #2,939 of 11,833
Hey guys, i want to know more about tubes (specifically intrested about tubes which have more presence range and little less lower mids, with tight bass. Got my Sennheiser HD800S and i feel that my A20 have far too much lower mids for it and not tight bass and dip in upper mids. Mids simply have no bite at all... Is there any tubes for Elise which can cure my A20 shortcomings? Dont like muffled presence range. Thanks. And by the way, how upgraded tubes from Feliks Audio Website sound? Thanks a lot:).

I'll point you to the person here with a HD800s > @pctazhp  
biggrin.gif

He's happy with EL3N and GEC 6080.

Power tubes with a tight bass are 7236 and Bendix 6080wb. More so the Bendix with a clear sounding 6SN7 or C3g.

Don't know about upgraded tubes. That's only the drivers that is upgraded.

Arnie, I'll try to clarity UT's advice for your quest. First he was saying PCTazhp is pleased with EL3N (drivers / 'front') and GEC 6080 (powers).
Next the 7236 tubes he was recommending were by Tung Sol, and for clear sounding 6SN7 there are many. I recommend especially GE 6SN7 GTA for perfect bass, linearity and total transparency that 'scales' with any power tube, or Zenith 6SN7 for a brighter yet equally dynamic sound.

The powers that come with Elise (6H13C in the 6AS7G class) are in fact outstanding and IMO outclass many costing several hundred. For the Bendix, EL3N's also pair well, especially with tube dampers on all four tubes. However these are all very balanced tubes, without any dip in the lower mids.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #2,940 of 11,833
Yup, Lukasz confirmed today that the 6H13C tubes I've been raving about are indeed the same as stock tubes. I guess I've come 'full circle' - or more of a dysfunctional circle anyway 
tongue.gif
... first getting my Elise without stock tubes in favor of experimenting with recommended tubes, then finally six months later I happen to 'discover' the stock power tubes by total random chance, when searching for affordable tubes that appear to have a vaguely similar construction to the GEC's, only to discover they are my #1 kings so far - yet are ironically the same included in most orders.

However my setup is not identical to stock, using hand picked GE 6SN7 GTA's and tube bands on all four.

Also that's right - my 'Christmas tree' setup has now been far outclassed in just about every way. Sadly, this unique 'act' will likely be disbanded soon by yours truly - anybody fancy a strange Christmas decoration? Additionally, I have been tubetized (tube baptism LOL) into a new man - more of a one-tube-per-socket guy for the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back