Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 8, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,791 of 11,833
Awesome :heart_eyes:

@geetarman49 Thank you very much, the train must be bullet.

we have no bullet trains here.  our trains (lrt for light rail transit) can take you from pt a to pt b in 10 min.  pt a = south side of street; pt b = north side of same street.

we also have bridges that are 2+ yr behind schedule. the city engineering dept has suggested that these projects are just so complex and huge that it is unwise to impose arbitrary deadlines and schedules and something more akin to ... long ... and longer ... might be more accurate descriptions for projection completion times
eek.gif
.   city council begs to differ.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #2,793 of 11,833
I am considering these 6080's but I have a problem with seller's that do not offer returns.  You have no recourse for return if the tubes do not measure up. Saying they test strong as new tubes, no gas or shorts is way short of giving a recourse is the tubes don't perform as you would expect. Saying a tube tests as new, is not the same as giving an actual value. The old stand alone tube testers you used to find at the drug store or 5 and 10 cent stores, were set up the same way, gave a reading that you had to interpret  There was good and really good poor and bad, but nothing definitive.  Plus they had the replacement tubes in the cabinet underneath the testier.  If a seller offers the same nomenclature and returns available whole different ball game. If they were cheap tubes, not a big deal if they are not good, but at those prices, I would want a return possible.  My feelings are if a seller is that good and reliable he would stand behind his product. I think I will pass. Congrats on the vinyl UT

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,794 of 11,833
  Now Gman is tempting me with more St Martin's. At this point, it's better to get more vinyls than tubes. 
etysmile.gif

there are so many good ones it's hard to go wrong ... absolutely lovely and natural sounding.  when i started buying these i often didn't have a clue as to what the music was ... didn't matter ... every single one i purchased was good.

i don't know what i'd choose for my numero uno classical recording ... arnold's english, scottish and cornish dances on lyrita (or pioneer) would be right up there.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,796 of 11,833
  I am considering these 6080's but I have a problem with seller's that do not offer returns.  You have no recourse for return if the tubes do not measure up. Saying they test strong as new tubes, no gas or shorts is way short of giving a recourse is the tubes don't perform as you would expect. Saying a tube tests as new, is not the same as giving an actual value. The old stand alone tube testers you used to find at the drug store or 5 and 10 cent stores, were set up the same way, gave a reading that you had to interpret  There was good and really good poor and bad, but nothing definitive.  Plus they had the replacement tubes in the cabinet underneath the testier.  If a seller offers the same nomenclature and returns available whole different ball game. If they were cheap tubes, not a big deal if they are not good, but at those prices, I would want a return possible.  My feelings are if a seller is that good and reliable he would stand behind his product. I think I will pass. Congrats on the vinyl UT

He does have %100 feedback, so it seems unlikely other buyers have been disappointed.
I will resist the urge though - 4 x EL3N's and another dual adapter, when I wasn't going to buy any more tubes - already exceeded my quota for the fortnight. :)

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,797 of 11,833
Howdy gents,

Hope you are having a good time during this weekend.

I think I find something new (maybe new to me) to improve the sound of my system significantly. (Not quite relevant to the Elise or tube, but do can remove my previous prejudice against Mullard 6080WA)

I was quite unsatisfied with my combo of my new DAC exasound E12 and Mullard 6080WA + EL3N for this whole week. After struggling and bearing those analytical, over-sonic sound, I told myself "sounds not so good -->Can't be the Elise's fault --> Must be something wrong with the DAC setting".

I did a few review check on the internet. Lots of people claimed that a good DAC either to be PCM good or DSD good but not both.

Since PCM sounds terrible on my DAC, and reviews say it's a DSD native DAC. So I upsampled all the music from Tidal to DSD256. (Roon bridged with HQ player, upsampling the streaming FLAC from Tidal).

Now I'm happy again. The sound is not analytical anymore, tube lushness comes back again with proper sonic, bright sounding.
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #2,798 of 11,833
I didvthe same thing. I have my psaudio dac set to upsample to dsd quaity

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #2,799 of 11,833
I didvthe same thing. I have my psaudio dac set to upsample to dsd quaity

and how's your result? I mean mine is so obvious. On the HQplayer, I A/B compared the DSD and PCM for the same song from Tidal. The sound is just totally different.

Analytical and sonic from PCM while warm and musical from DSD. I guess it must be relevant to the processing difference of  DSD and PCM of the DAC.

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,800 of 11,833
Nice DACs from both of you. exaSound E12 and PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC. Great specs and good reviews. Everyone's setup is different and unique but have Elise as the amp. I'm sure you're getting great music in your setup.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,801 of 11,833
  Nice DACs from both of you. exaSound E12 and PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC. Great specs and good reviews. Everyone's setup is different and unique but have Elise as the amp. I'm sure you're getting great music in your setup.

Thanks to you, UT. Let me abandon the SS-amp and go for the Elise without regret and will never come back to SS-amp. Before that, Beyerdynamic A2 was on my wishlist. How naive! 
tongue.gif

You should upgrade your DAC one day.  Elise deserves more than NAD D1050. 
biggrin.gif
  If Elise has lots of ads like Woo Audio, it will be two times more expensive, so a £1000 level DAC for Elise worth the investment. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,802 of 11,833
Hey all, no news from me today. Just a question. Can anyone recommend a good small tube such as 68NP or 6DJ8? I'm interested to find a small driver tube that is extra clear & clean sounding with tight dynamics. (besides C3G / 6SN7). Then I'll still need to order an adapter too. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #2,803 of 11,833
  Thanks to you, UT. Let me abandon the SS-amp and go for the Elise without regret and will never come back to SS-amp. Before that, Beyerdynamic A2 was on my wishlist. How naive! 
tongue.gif

You should upgrade your DAC one day.  Elise deserves more than NAD D1050. 
biggrin.gif
  If Elise has lots of ads like Woo Audio, it will be two times more expensive, so a £1000 level DAC for Elise worth the investment. 

There are no shortages of good DACs in the market, of varying price. For now the NAD is good enough. Nothing offensive, good reviews and doesn't break the bank. Sounds good to me. 
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,804 of 11,833
  Hey all, no news from me today. Just a question. Can anyone recommend a good small tube such as 68NP or 6DJ8? I'm interested to find a small driver tube that is extra clear & clean sounding with tight dynamics. (besides C3G / 6SN7). Then I'll still need to order an adapter too. Thanks!

Haven't use these for a while but the Voskhod 6N23P 1975 sounds good in Elise and more importantly, no hum.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #2,805 of 11,833
I have a custom all lundahl trafo, fully caps upgraded EL3N amp on its way to me.

Anyone tried rolling different types of EL3N's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back