Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 9, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #2,806 of 11,833
I have a custom all lundahl trafo, fully caps upgraded EL3N amp on its way to me.

Anyone tried rolling different types of EL3N's?

We've mainly use Philips EL3N. There are not too many varieties out there. 

Glenn's amp must be on the way to you. Be interested to hear your impressions.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #2,807 of 11,833
Thanks. Good to hear. My first el3n amp, so won't have a base of comparison. I do like myself a good tube amp though, probably have 100 tubes now with a good collection of 2a3, 300b, 5 volt rectifiers and of course 6sn7.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #2,808 of 11,833
7N7 are the loctal (8 pins) equivalent of 6SN7 and they are sweet sounding with a very clear tone, the likes of Sylvania 6SN7. Best of all, the price is still cheap. Search on eBay. You'll need adapters which I'll link below. A step up from the stock drivers.

You have a choice of 'gold' adapters 
wink_face.gif

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1pc-7N7-7F7-TO-6SN7GT-B65-6SL7-tube-converter-adapter-/201320848428?hash=item2edfa85c2c:g:qrYAAOSwMmBVuaXh

or Ebony
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pc-7N7-7F7-TO-6SN7-6SL7-tube-converter-adapter-for-you-amp-/191571501320?hash=item2c9a8d2108:g:5CcAAOSwMORW63WZ

The tall ones are more highly regarded but I've not heard those. I've only the standard Raytheon 7N7. I don't think brands matter. You can try it.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,809 of 11,833
  Hey all, no news from me today. Just a question. Can anyone recommend a good small tube such as 68NP or 6DJ8? I'm interested to find a small driver tube that is extra clear & clean sounding with tight dynamics. (besides C3G / 6SN7). Then I'll still need to order an adapter too. Thanks!

I've used several 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes as drivers with various power tubes in Elise and they all sounded very good. Not so euphonic as some other tube types, but fast, accurate and dynamic.

The ones I used were Bugle Boy, Mullard, GE 'smoked glass', Tesla and Tungsram. They all have their differing sound effects. The cleanest and most articulate were Tesla and Tungsram. Sweetest were Bugle Boy and Mullard. Warmest was the GE. I would think your best bets would be the Mullard, Tesla or Tungsram.

On a different theme, this weekend I've been experimenting with warming up the sound to play some CD's of vintage opera singers which are full of the original pops and other noises. I've chanced upon what I think could be an excellent combination. Utterly musical and euphonic with all the detail, and very easy on the ear. A forwardish sound, but so pleasant it never feels claustrophobic. Voluptuous. 

It's vintage 4 pack EL3N's with a pair of 6N30P-EV drivers (Sovtek). 

I had these drivers for LD and G1217amps but never used them as they were just too warm and 'bloomy'- but with Elise they synergise so well with 4 pack I'm keeping them in after the weekend to try them on some other music. Grand piano though certainly sounds 'grand' with this combo.

EDIT: These are not 6N30P-DR tubes. Would love to hear how they sound in Elise but far too expensive for me.

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,810 of 11,833

Glenn's amp must be on the way to you. Be interested to hear your impressions.

Well, there aren't too many EL3N amps out there, and Glenn typically has a long queue so I consider myself incredibly fortunate that he had one ready to ship immediately!

He also modded it to v2 for me before shipping. So now it's an EL3N amp that takes 5V rectifiers, although he also included an adaptor to use the 4 volter with side pins.

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #2,811 of 11,833
  Well, there aren't too many EL3N amps out there, and Glenn typically has a long queue so I consider myself incredibly fortunate that he had one ready to ship immediately!

He also modded it to v2 for me before shipping. So now it's an EL3N amp that takes 5V rectifiers, although he also included an adaptor to use the 4 volter with side pins.

A well crafted EL3N tube amp by Glenn would be one to sample. With the superior lundahl transformer, it's a work of art. I consider EL3N sound to be special. HD800 and T1 will be a perfect fit with that amp.

Well you can tell us if your other headphones works well with it too. You are fortunate indeed. No waiting time. Congrats.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,814 of 11,833
@HOWIE13Hey, where did you get the picture of my house, no one is allowed on the property.  You can see me in the upstairs window the second one from the end, where i have my laboratory.  That is me with my arms outstretched! HaaaaaaHaaaaaaaHaaaaaa!

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #2,815 of 11,833
Here is a photo from the early 1970's after I turned in my Fischer 400 tube amp and went to Pioneer 9100 series SS. The beginning of a long road back to tubes! Wife made me build a cabinet for books with doors so the ugly SS amp did not show, Wharfdale speakers in the corners. of the room

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #2,816 of 11,833
  @HOWIE13Hey, where did you get the picture of my house, no one is allowed on the property.  You can see me in the upstairs window the second one from the end, where i have my laboratory.  That is me with my arms outstretched! HaaaaaaHaaaaaaaHaaaaaa!

LOL

This is a close up of you at that window- always good to put a face to a name- though judging by your most recent post you have definitely improved your looks since then. 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #2,818 of 11,833
In the photo you notice i am pointing to the kitchen, :this way to the feast"!  Did not have many kids knocking on my door at Halloween! Don't understand it!

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #2,819 of 11,833
Acutually I am! Ha got you. Are you up late or early, lost track of time here, Couldn't sleep so here I am, still to dark to walk the dog although he keeps checking with me, he complains if I have more than one cup of coffee first.  He expects to go for a walk eaarly, come home get feed and then take a nap.  Doesn't sound to bad now that I think of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back