Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Mar 1, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #11,791 of 11,833
Another oversampling option is HQPlayer, and there is some comparison with results of this software versus MScaler here.

I downloaded the trial yesterday and have been trying it out, the settings are slightly intimidating seeing as I'm pretty new to everything.

Will look into this and see if I can take anything away from it. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #11,792 of 11,833
Don't want to hijack the Elise thread, so PM sent @Jonwch.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #11,793 of 11,833
Don't want to hijack the Elise thread, so PM sent @Jonwch.

I am curious to know about your results. I was looking into this before ordering TT2 and the M Scaler. In my case I obtained a decent discount if ordered both, so I went for it and I am happy. I would do the same even now in those conditions because in my case I use several inputs of M-Scaler and sometimes prefer to be separated from my PC.
I use on my PC a JCAT Femto USB card and looked also into JPlay Femto which is for me another very interesting alternative.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #11,794 of 11,833
Good to hear you're enjoying those Psvanes, and that's a great idea to use the EL3N with them, think I will try mine with the Svetlana 6550C, as the Svet's are quite neutral, and analytical, oh and Isn't it always time for some Sabbath? :).

I always try warmer and more relaxed drivers for when the powers are going into analytical and less euphonic direction. However, in the reverse way not always goes so well. But this particular combination is great. I recommend it.

I was thinking about running my vt231 with the KT77 as powers. Does anyone have any experience using kt77 gold lion as power tubes in Elise?

I used KT77 as powers and the sound was very warm and relaxed, however I think that you will have better results using KT88 + KT77. KT77 as powers, at least in Elise, provided me a lot of bass but the quality was not matching my expectation.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #11,795 of 11,833
I am curious to know about your results. I was looking into this before ordering TT2 and the M Scaler. In my case I obtained a decent discount if ordered both, so I went for it and I am happy. I would do the same even now in those conditions because in my case I use several inputs of M-Scaler and sometimes prefer to be separated from my PC.
I use on my PC a JCAT Femto USB card and looked also into JPlay Femto which is for me another very interesting alternative.

I am looking forward to finding out too. So far the only thing I've been able to give myself is a mini heart attack when I heard the loudest of pops between songs, espesially since my tt2 is brand new, I'm pretty new to the hobby so looks like a long road ahead.

But if this somehow works and I can forego the mscaler and straight into the amp all the better, not to mention I'd be able to put more money into a decent set of tubes with the money I save, but at this point I'm getting ahead of myself 🙈. I'll keep you updated if I find anything substantial

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #11,796 of 11,833
But if this somehow works and I can forego the mscaler and straight into the amp all the better, not to mention I'd be able to put more money into a decent set of tubes with the money I save, but at this point I'm getting ahead of myself 🙈. I'll keep you updated if I find anything substantial

I use here on PC foobar2000 and there is a free upscaler called SRC. I tried it on Qutest, and when set to resample 384000 I had a feeling it improved something. Since Qutest has that top window where you can see the frequency of the input signal, it was simple for me to check if this works. So many solutions, all going somehow into the same direction, some of them free.

foobar.png

But the main problem you have to fix on the PC is the USB connection before any of these resamplers. I will not start a storm of discussions here, just provide a link.
In my case, an USB card externally powered, improved greatly the quality. As I said before, I use M Scaler also on optical input with an external CD Transport and sometimes compare the same CD from my PC or directly via optical, and there is a difference, almost all the time the CD sounds better.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #11,797 of 11,833
I use here on PC foobar2000 and there is a free upscaler called SRC. I tried it on Qutest, and when set to resample (not upscale) 384000 I had a feeling it improved something. Since Qutest has that top window where you can see the frequency of the input signal, it was simple for me to check if this works. So many solutions, all going somehow into the same direction, some of them free. This is something basic, but it can upsample to 4x.

But the main problem you have to fix on the PC is the USB connection before any of these resamplers. I will not start a storm of discussions here, just provide a link.
In my case, an USB card externally powered, improved greatly the quality. As I said before, I use M Scaler also on optical input with an external CD Transport and sometimes compare the same CD from my PC or directly via optical, and there is a difference, almost all the time the CD sounds better.
One thing HQ Player does that I use often is convert PCM to DSD. I generally prefer the results to straight PCM --> PCM upsampling butI am sure that's a matter of preference and may vary by DAC if the DAC handles PCM or DSM preferentially. It may also be best if the DAC is NOS but while mine is not, I am very happy with the improvements I get with HQ Player.

As for USB interface, I have a Singxer SU-1 and connect I2S to DAC. I've read that USB connections to DACS are improving iteratively, but a the concept of a DDC appeals to me and results are excellent.

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #11,798 of 11,833
Here's another nice power tube and combo, Svetlana 6550C,old production, not new production, driven by EL11. The 6550C has a fairly neutral, linear sound, so pairs well with a warmer fuller bodied driver, this combo is full, detailed, but still retains good detail, air and punchy bass, not pretty to look at but the sound is very impressive.

20210301_103034[1106].jpg

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #11,799 of 11,833
I bought this amp about 2 months ago to pair with my VO and VC. And I recently just upgraded the power tubes to Chatham 6AS7G. Now Im looking for a pair of driver tubes. Any recommendations for that ? If adapters needed, where can I get those ? Sorry Im new with tubes.

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #11,800 of 11,833
@hung031086

Sylvania 6sn7 gt for cheap but good pair of driver tubes. Or you can get Sylvania Vt-231 if you want to spend more. Since you are new to tubes, i wouldnt worry about the adapters just yet.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #11,801 of 11,833
I bought this amp about 2 months ago to pair with my VO and VC. And I recently just upgraded the power tubes to Chatham 6AS7G. Now Im looking for a pair of driver tubes. Any recommendations for that ? If adapters needed, where can I get those ? Sorry Im new with tubes.
https://cutt.ly/mlBDItR or https://cutt.ly/slBDSvi

The WGTA is Dark as in dry ? Can't really put my finger on it but I love this little short thing. Very good midrange with excellent vocals. Highs roll off quick sooo you might think less details but it comes off as a relaxed sound. My fav pairing so far with any 6AS7.

The VT-231's are more balanced throughout the whole frequency range. More neutral sounding than the WGTA but still retains a little bit of warmth.
Really it all depends on your taste.

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #11,802 of 11,833
Continuing the burn in of Psvane KT88T2, around 100 hours. Now with some Genalex KT77 as drivers.

Elise_GenalexKT77_PsvaneKT88T2.jpg

Warm and romantic. Too relaxed for my taste. So I put the Siemens C3g as drivers.

Elise_SiemensC3g_PsvaneKT88T2.jpg

This is one of the most detailed and clean sounding combinations I ever heard on Elise. But the bass quantity is under my expectations. However, good combination.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back