Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 28, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #11,281 of 11,833
It might be. One other thing I observed during sessions of tube rolling is that from time to time, especially when you use tubes with different parameters (like for example EL12N as powers and then switch back to 6AS7) the tubes do not always sound the same after you put them back to the sockets. Like for example the auto-biasing is not always providing exactly the same results. So strange are the ways of our amps and the circuitry inside them.
Hi O,
I agree with you - I am always afraid of not getting back the sound of a great sounding combination after making a change and changing back again.
Usually i manage, but it takes some time until the amp stabilizes.

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #11,286 of 11,833
For the tube experts here, I have a picture and a question. This is a Tung Sol bottom ring getter 5998?

10375498.jpg

All my chrome tops do not have this "O". Therefore I'm asking. Any difference in sound from the "standard" 5998?

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #11,288 of 11,833
Hi All,

I have an Elise that I bought about two years ago, Ii has been a great amp to listen to. It seems to have developed a problem and the issue is not tube related as it does this regardless of the tubes installed. I listen to it with headphones and with a power amp and speakers. I was shutting it down the other day and I normally
shutdown the power amp then the Elise. I forgot to shut down the power amp first. The Elise dumped a whole load of power down the speaker wires pushed the bass drivers in my speakers right forward and burnt them out. It didn't touch the power amp, that's still working fine. I had to check if it is the Elise or the power amp, I have a spare
very old power amp and speakers, so plugged these in and tried it again, and the same thing only it didn't blow the speakers this time, just pushed the bass drivers forward. It never used to do this does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this? I have a Euphoria too and that has started popping on start up, I have checked the tube sockets for poor connection and all seems to be fine, no sign of a bad connection.

Many thanks.

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #11,289 of 11,833
While waiting the Genalex KT66 and the adapters to try the Tung Sol 7581A, I still enjoy some very good sound. On the power side we have the "Domino" plate army:

The-Domino-Plate-Army.jpg

If anyone knows the story of these Tung Sol 5998 with top/side O-ring getter please share it. Some claim this is Tung Sol 421A, others a variation of the 5998. Based on the sound I would say these are 5998. However my pair is NOS and I have only a few hours on it.

A detail of it can be seen here:

TS5998-Oring-02.jpg

From left to right:
Tung Sol 5998 top/side O ring getter -> Tung Sol chrome top white paint -> Tung Sol chrome top green paint -> WE 421A.

My favourire are ... the TS 5998 green paint, hard to say why.

PS. I still search a 5998 clear top pair, if someone is selling please PM me :)

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #11,290 of 11,833
I will post this also here, even if on Euforia thread it is an ongoing discussion. I tried today the Genalex KT66 + Tung Sol 7581A (both new production tubes found at very decent prices like 60 EUR / tube respectively 30 EUR / piece) and found a good synergy with Elise and T1.2.

TS7581-AGenalex-KT66.jpg

I am on early hours and I definitely need more time, but I want to inform the Elise users that these are a very good combination at a quite good price, and adapters can be found in Europe in Bulgaria by contacting @Deyan or in China here made by Mrs. Xuling:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Gold...er-adapter-For-Elise-Euroria-amp/193142155772

Deyan's adapters look like this:

Deyan-Adapters03.jpg

Here are my KT66:

Deyan-Adapters04.jpg

I hope these infos are useful, these are really great tubes for Elise at a bargain price for the sound quality they provide.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #11,291 of 11,833
Received a pair of 1952 NOS Sylvania "Bad Boy" type 6SN7GT's today, installed as drivers for the Tung Sol 7581A. Impressions 1st few hours hour is that they are special drivers as many have claimed, definitely a step up in clarity and detail retrieval from the Tung Sol 6SN7GT's I had in as drivers previously. Bass is quite impressive on classic rock, but surprisingly the overall signature is more analytic than warm. Mids are clean and somewhat forward. The highs are more extended than the Tung Sol's by a wide margin and there is no sibilance. Stage is taller than with the Tung Sols, width and depth about the same. Speed and "attack' of the notes on keyboards and percussion is impressive. Overall tonality is less immediately engaging and "fun" versus the Tung Sol's but I suspect it is truer to the source material and rewards attentive listening. I am still adjusting to the Sylvania's sound and while they are technically superior without question, I miss the "fatter" note weight and slightly warmer coloration of the new production Tung Sols. I'm fully expecting this may change with both tube and brain burn-in, and perhaps a swap of power tubes to the Genalex Gold Lion KT88's once I get around to ordering them. For now, I'm going to continue evaluating these and see how they evolve in my system.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #11,292 of 11,833
Tube rolling has come a long way, when I had my Elise the best I had was the EL3N
20160901_100517.jpg

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #11,293 of 11,833
Still experimenting with the new production tubes, spending some time with Elise and Avantasia.

Avantasia.jpg

Genalex KT88 + Tung Sol 7581A. KT88 has more bass than KT66. When trying KT88 driven by KT66 it was a little bit too much for me in terms of bass and the high frequencies were a little bit rolled off for my taste. So I switched to Tung Sol 7581A as drivers.
I would say that for T1 2nd generation and rock music the Genalex KT66 + Tung Sol 7581A is the sweet spot and this combo has the best mids. If you want more bass or you use Sennheiser HD 800 maybe Genalex KT88 / 7581A are the best choice (or if you listen to classical music).
Anyway, these 3 types of tubes are incredible value for the price and are a must for every Elise/Euforia owner. I wonder if there is a headphone amplifier built for these and how it sounds compared to our amps.

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #11,295 of 11,833
Received a pair of 1952 NOS Sylvania "Bad Boy" type 6SN7GT's today, installed as drivers for the Tung Sol 7581A. Impressions 1st few hours hour is that they are special drivers as many have claimed, definitely a step up in clarity and detail retrieval from the Tung Sol 6SN7GT's I had in as drivers previously. Bass is quite impressive on classic rock, but surprisingly the overall signature is more analytic than warm. Mids are clean and somewhat forward. The highs are more extended than the Tung Sol's by a wide margin and there is no sibilance. Stage is taller than with the Tung Sols, width and depth about the same. Speed and "attack' of the notes on keyboards and percussion is impressive. Overall tonality is less immediately engaging and "fun" versus the Tung Sol's but I suspect it is truer to the source material and rewards attentive listening. I am still adjusting to the Sylvania's sound and while they are technically superior without question, I miss the "fatter" note weight and slightly warmer coloration of the new production Tung Sols. I'm fully expecting this may change with both tube and brain burn-in, and perhaps a swap of power tubes to the Genalex Gold Lion KT88's once I get around to ordering them. For now, I'm going to continue evaluating these and see how they evolve in my system.

Just a brief update that the above impressions of the Sylvania's holds true with more extended listening. The standout features are an overall neutral tonality, nice but not exaggerated stage, air / instrument separation, speed and excellent treble extension that is non-fatiguing. I am really enjoying the top end performance of this pairing. Mids and low end are very well done and the total presentation is quite coherent, even if lacking lack the degree of euphony i might wish for. I look forward to trying these with either Genalex KT66 or KT88...any recommendations as to which might pair better are welcomed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back