Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #11,251 of 11,833
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #11,252 of 11,833
Hey Elise owners, there is a mini-rave session going on over in the Euforia thread for the new production Tung Sol 7581A power tube. It;s a fairly inexpensive pentode, needs an adapter and to be triode strapped but appears to work safely and well with rave-worthy sonic results in Euforia.

I'm still enjoying Tung Sol 5998 powers with the stock Elise Psvane drivers, and have some new production Tung Sol 6SN7GT drivers ordered to compare. Trying not to muddy the tube rolling listening tests too much with yet another contender but man, they are excited about the 7581A in the Euforia thread.

Anyway, wondering if the Elise and Euforia amps are designed similarly enough that it's safe to use TS 7581A's in Elise power position based on the Euforia experience, and more so, whether anyone has tried these with our amp to see if the great Euforia results are replicated with Elise. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #11,253 of 11,833
TS 7581A have 0.9A so I guess they can be used as powers and also as drivers in Elise. The only problem I see is if you use them as drivers with some 2.5A powers which might exceed the max allowed 6.5A. Let's wait to see if someone tries them, I am quite happy with my current tube collection so I'll just wait to see what other are doing. I am too lazy to buy more tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #11,254 of 11,833
Hey Elise owners, there is a mini-rave session going on over in the Euforia thread for the new production Tung Sol 7581A power tube. It;s a fairly inexpensive pentode, needs an adapter and to be triode strapped but appears to work safely and well with rave-worthy sonic results in Euforia.

I'm still enjoying Tung Sol 5998 powers with the stock Elise Psvane drivers, and have some new production Tung Sol 6SN7GT drivers ordered to compare. Trying not to muddy the tube rolling listening tests too much with yet another contender but man, they are excited about the 7581A in the Euforia thread.

Anyway, wondering if the Elise and Euforia amps are designed similarly enough that it's safe to use TS 7581A's in Elise power position based on the Euforia experience, and more so, whether anyone has tried these with our amp to see if the great Euforia results are replicated with Elise. Thanks.

Hi LW...and apologies to Elise folks for not bringing you up to date sooner with my experiments of the 7581A suggested to me by @ZRW0 (specifically the Russian reissue Tung Sol, with three round holes in the plate). I wholeheartedly recommend you go back over the past week or more posts on the Euforia thread for more info on this subject.

But in short, I have been amazed at just how good this tube is as powers...powerful bass; sweet treble and even more pronounced mids than I've heard from any other power tube to date. And all from a tube that can be had for $47 the pair, plus shipping on ebay.com (USA), and UK/Europe sources for a bit more as listed by @teknorob23 over on the Euforia thread recently. At this silly, cheap price it really is a no-brainer for anyone...especially as there's obviously a plentiful supply lol! :smile_phones:

I have put well over 100 hours on my first tube, with mostly 9+ hour sessions, and everything has behaved perfectly. Once again, total deathly silence with the vol knob at max, no music playing, and the amp hardly running even lukewarm. So it would certainly look to be another triode-strapped pentode(beam) that our amps can run with total impunity...and so cool as to in fact be safer on the components than stock that can run very hot sometimes lol!:wink:

I could say much more, but restricted time for me at the moment means I must ask you to catch up at the Euforia thread...if you're at all interested...

ps. And yes, LW, I see no reason at all why this tube shouldn't also shine in Elise...and so I look forward to the first results from such a pairing! :beyersmile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #11,255 of 11,833
I've seen that a lot of users here use ZMF headphones with their F.A. or other amps. Is there anybody able to make me a short comparison between models?
Specwise all look the same for me, even the design is close or somehow has some similarities but I am curious to see why there are so big differences in price and what is special with each one. I speak about Aeolus vs Auteur vs Verite. If someone can enlighten me, I will be very grateful. :L3000:

PS. I know that Verite is the new one, so therefore the biggest price. But I do not usually buy the idea that the latest model is the best. A good example is HD650 vs HD600. In my case I owned both models and sold the HD650.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #11,256 of 11,833
Had a rather odd occurrence this afternoon. I started getting some noise that sounded like electronic interference, very slight and only noticeable when no music was playing. I tried reseating the tubes, readjusting the connectors and power cord, but nothing changed. Then I realized that the noise was regular in both actual sound (slight static) and frequency (about every 8-9 seconds). The amp sits right next to my computer, so I turned my computer off and then back on again, and like magic the noise was gone.

Any thoughts on what could've been causing this?

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #11,257 of 11,833
Had a rather odd occurrence this afternoon. I started getting some noise that sounded like electronic interference, very slight and only noticeable when no music was playing. I tried reseating the tubes, readjusting the connectors and power cord, but nothing changed. Then I realized that the noise was regular in both actual sound (slight static) and frequency (about every 8-9 seconds). The amp sits right next to my computer, so I turned my computer off and then back on again, and like magic the noise was gone.

Any thoughts on what could've been causing this?

Hi P1...ah, the hidden gremlins of computers lol!! :wink: Just one reason why I personally am not a fan of using these as music source for best results from a highly resolving system, despite their other useful functionality (even when spending $$$$$ just to try and resolve/reduce said gremlins!!).

Anyway, I suspect it's probably down to the wi-fi function...or bluetooth? Thankfully you found the culprit without days of searching/testing, and without too much angst at least! :smile_phones: Hopefully you'll now be trouble-free for a long while to come :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:...CJ

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #11,258 of 11,833
HI H1 (hehehe), thanks for the comment. Yes, the issue seems to have resolved itself. BTW, I don't use the computer as a source into the Elise, it's just that the amp is placed next to my workstation. It's where I currently spend a large portion of my time.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #11,259 of 11,833
HI H1 (hehehe), thanks for the comment. Yes, the issue seems to have resolved itself. BTW, I don't use the computer as a source into the Elise, it's just that the amp is placed next to my workstation. It's where I currently spend a large portion of my time.

Indeed P1...the computer - or laptop - doesn't need to be acting as source for it to cause trouble with tube amps especially, such animals often being rather 'pernickety', to say the least lol! But as with our better halves, wouldn't want to be without them!! :wink::ksc75smile:...CJ

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #11,260 of 11,833
Well spoken!!!!

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #11,261 of 11,833
With this knowledge in hand, even if the problem returns, at least I know it's not an issue with the amp, and that sets my heart at ease!!! :wink:

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #11,262 of 11,833
Wanted to share my impressions of the new production Tung Sol 6SN7GTB. I was unsatisfied with the stock Elise Psvane 6S7N "UK" driver, tried Philips EL32's, 1960's Foton 6H8C's, and the highly recommended 1948 JAN RCA 6SN7GT in combination with Tung Sol 7236 or 5998's as powers. None of them quite hit the spot, hindered with grainy mids, overly bright highs or anemic bass. I had little budget left so took a chance on the inexpensive Tung Sol new productions, and to my pleasant surprise 30-40 hours in I am really enjoying them with the 5998's as power tubes. It's hard to say they do anything TOTL but unlike all the other drivers I rolled in, there are no weaknesses. Bass has authority, mids are engagingly euphonic and while treble may lack that last bit of extension it is sweet, smooth and never fatiguing. Stage width / depth are excellent, (height a bit lacking). Detail retrieval for my taste strikes the right balance between being fully present but not distractingly analytical or unmusical. The note "thickness" is especially good, adding substance and weight but still refined and articulate.

I have no illusions that this inexpensive new production tube rivals the best NOS drivers or that my will and wallet will not succumb again to future shiny objects dressed in glass. However, it is nice to know an affordable, readily available 6SN7 can do so many things well.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #11,263 of 11,833
The TS 6sn7 has been my favorite 6sn7 of all the total ones I have. Recent rolling confirmed that. "● “The first version - tri-plate/D-getter tall bottle - was actually the same tube as the identically constructed WGT and WGTA, I have seen them mixed together in a factory bulk pack with identical date & batch codes - so they are all the same tube. Bonus, because it's a very nice sounding tube and because some unknowledgeable people look down on GTB's, they are easier to find & less expensive. Well balanced, rounded tone, reasonably good and tight bass, the highs are smooth and not excessively bright. A good all round tube.” –Robert H
● “Next was a version, also with tall bottle, but with O-getter - I find this one to sound virtually the same as the D-getter version, there may be some slight sonic differences for the obsessive types with too much time on their hands. Personally, I would rather listen to the music than worry about micro-differences of this magnitude. They are cheaper yet and a good buy.” –Robert H
● “Short bottle, tri-plate, early 1960's. Similar sonically to the earlier ones, a bit less open, still a very good tube.” –Robert H
● “But here's an inside tip - Tungsol late 50's and early 60's 6SN7GTB are exactly the same as the WGT and WGTA, except they have a black base - and nobody wants GTB's, so they usually go cheap. They are exactly the same tube, Tungsol simply relabelled WGT's as GTB's to fill GTB orders. I know this, I've had a bulk factory box that had tubes with the exact same date and batch codes - but were labelled either WGT, GTB, WGTA, or even just GT. All identical and come from the same production run. If you see some Tungsol GTB's, and CBS/Hytron 6SN7GT's, grab some, they are still an excellent value.” –Robert H" This is from the Reference 6sn7 thread here on Headfi https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/. Mine are the triangular black plate round getter black base white labeled.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #11,264 of 11,833
Indeed P1...the computer - or laptop - doesn't need to be acting as source for it to cause trouble with tube amps especially, such animals often being rather 'pernickety', to say the least lol! But as with our better halves, wouldn't want to be without them!! :wink::ksc75smile:...CJ

My PC became a decent source for my huge FLAC collection since I've added the JCAT Femto USB board which is externally powered by a Sbooster with Ultra adapter. But indeed, without it the difference was big, now the PC sounds for me at the same level with my CD Transport which is connected via Optical to the same DAC. What to say, for me it seems the problem is solved.
What I would do, but at the moment I cannot afford it, is to add an M-Scaler to the Qutest. That would be a sensitive upgrade and might come into the future. One reason for me to sell the 2Qute and buy the Qutest was to add the M-Scaler one day. Now I start to think already about TT2. Well, that life, maybe I should get directly a Dave otherwise who knows...
But the source / storage for me will always remain the PC, since I use it also for gaming.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #11,265 of 11,833
I understood about every third word of that last post! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back