Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #8,371 of 11,833
Hi Roger,

Ang and I were discussing Vinyl vs CD on the Euforia thread. :ksc75smile:

I was blown away that my budget turntable sounded better than my Yggy rig. My opinion of course. Sounds more organic, warm and relaxing with HD800 and Euforia.

Jun 11, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #8,372 of 11,833
Hi Roger,

Ang and I were discussing Vinyl vs CD on the Euforia thread. :ksc75smile:

I was blown away that my budget turntable sounded better than my Yggy rig. My opinion of course. Sounds more organic, warm and relaxing with HD800 and Euforia.

I haven't used my vinyl set up for almost 20 years now, the convenience of digital has won me over.
I digitised my vinyls and never looked back.
I know it's not the right way to go.
Don't forget a Vinyl Washing Machine is a top priority if you are going to listen to old vinyls.

Jun 11, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #8,374 of 11,833
Some of my LP's are 70's dated I still have them.

Jun 11, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #8,375 of 11,833
My apologies with the new system update I got lost.
Quit headphones after 50 year of listening?
System upgrade? I'm intrigued! Offer for coffee still stands?

Jun 11, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #8,376 of 11,833
Some of my systems are less than 5years old so no need to upgrade yet.
Yes we'll make some arrangements maybe when Glenn comes over.

Jun 11, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #8,379 of 11,833
You are most welcome!!!!!
Every time Glenn comes over I learn so much about Audio, it's like I know nothing.
Not to mention the little experiments he does which I find fascinating

Jun 11, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #8,380 of 11,833
Some of my systems are less than 5years old so no need to upgrade yet.
Yes we'll make some arrangements maybe when Glenn comes over.

Can I come? This looks like a party I don't want to miss.
Cool @rosgr63, no pressure. Maybe wait for UT to come from Australia; if he takes the boat I'm sure your Glenn amp will be with you and all burned in by the time he gets here!

Jun 11, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #8,381 of 11,833
You are most welcome!!!!!
Every time Glenn comes over I learn so much about Audio, it's like I know nothing.
Not to mention the little experiments he does which I find fascinating
Oh, wait—you mean Glenn Glenn, not Glenn amp?

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #8,384 of 11,833
Some preliminary findings on GEC 6080 vs Mullard 6080 vs Bendix 6080wb.

First of all, these days my test of tubes are done in a different way from the past. Whereas previously, I would go back and forth quickly after each song, now I would use the tubes for a few days then switch. I find that a longer listening session with the tubes is better for picking out differences and not having to slot the tubes in and out of my amp so frequently. For this test, my gear setup is :-

Onkyo > Yggy > Euforia > HD800.

I use the same drivers throughout. Sylvania 6sn7wgt brown base.

GEC 6080
Has a larger presence and more holographic. The soundstage expanded compared to Mullard. FR is more linear though. There is no emphasis on treble, mid or bass. It's just linear throughout. It is more textured and at the same time has an airy quality to the tone - always in comparison to Mullard. It is neither forward nor recessed but a good presentation of musicians on the stage with very good instruments separation. I wouldn't classify the GEC as warm or bright. There might be a very slight slant toward warmness, nothing more to it.

Mullard 6080
Sound is more focused and narrower in the the stage. Being narrower, it is also more defined and prominent. This tube is an enigma. While there is a hint of warmness, it is the brightness and energy that stood out for me. Suuup ask me once what tubes to use to brighten up a very dark song. I told him to use C3G and Mullard 6080. This is still true in my opinion today.

Bendix 6080wb
The most notable traits about the Bendix is the weighty tone and bass. Now this might seem like it's lacking in the other department such as the top. That's not true. It is a revealing tube. The weight and bass comes in good quality dosage. Nice wide soundstage. Texture and a hint of warmness.

With my system that is very revealing (DAC and headphone) Sylvania 6sn7wgt with any of these power tubes makes for a very enjoyable listening session.

In terms of preference:-

Bendix - GEC ----------- Mullard.

You can see from the position that I have the GEC almost touching the Bendix, with the Mullard further behind. That is how I would rank them. YMMV.

Edit:- Here's a problem. Having spend some considerable time with all 3 power tubes, I'm less eager to slot in the Mullard. It's usually a choice between the GEC and Bendix. :)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #8,385 of 11,833
IMHO, this is basically a matter of synergy of the drivers with the excellent Mullard 6080. This is a wide bandwith, highly resolving and detailed tube top to bottom, with just a touch of warmth. If you pair it with, say, Siemens C3gs, (that have this same character in spades), then you have maybe too much of a good thing. Bass would be super tight and dynamic, but highs can go over the top sometimes, and overall you got an hyper detailed sound which I personally do not like too much. Both Sylvania WGTs and TS 6SN7s are a much better match, but with the Mullards I would go for the Tung Sols, the good ones have that trademark house sound: not very detailed but round and bold, a wide, dynamic sound with spatial qualities that I value the most. The Mullards, as good as they are (I have a pair of NOS, 65' vintage) can be a bit dry at times, so the TS are a great match. And you do not need over hyped and expensive ones, for example, TS 6SN7GTB, tall bottles from the early or mid fifties are excellent tubes at very reasonable prices, ( just be sure of the vintage) as do are GTB chrome tops Sylvanias of the same era, however with a very different sound.

I feel that the opposite situation (detailed drivers and "mellow" powers) is equally relevant in terms of SQ: if you keep the drivers constant as a reference (C3gs for example) the final flavor is given by the powers, and in 6AS7G territory this is a fascinating experience. The C3g characteristics, among them a super extended, even a bit aggresive top end, are complementary with the somewhat laid back top end of all the 6AS7Gs, including the great 5998. This adds just the right touch of sparkle and liveness. Of course, with the 5998 this is a stellar pair, and I was hooked. As allways happens in this hobby, I regarded all my other 6AS7Gs (some 25 of them) as inferior to the 5998s, and decided to give them a rest, saving some hours on these VERY expensive tubes. I replaced the 5998s with a pair of vintage JAN Chathams that I even forgot I had, and fully expected a much inferior sound. I was totally wrong. Yes, the Chathams do not have quite the extension or ultimate bold and big sound of the 5998s, but are supremely sweeeeeeet tubes, with a very pleasant, relaxed, seductive tonality that I ended enjoying a lot with all types of music. More so than with the 5998s. Tired of so much resolution, perhaps ? Lesson learned.....

Hi @Johnnysound, @HPLobster et al.,

Fate got me at the office on a Sunday evening; at least I got some extra time with the Elise since Friday and I immediately jumped on the opportunity to play the WGT with the Svetlana 6S13N. Although it immediately felt like the WGT needed a gutsier 6as7g, the sound was undoubtedly more coherent, with great air, separation, and detail. I think the Svetlanas add a bit of reverberation in the sound making the overall image feel more transparent, but compared to the Mullard 6080 the end result is somewhat unimpressive. Usual routine: Gene Ammons, Paul's boutique, Solti's Beethoven 9th.

I don't think I like this combo. After I post this I'll switch to the Mullard. Having said that, I see how the Psvane complement the character of the Svetlana to give Feliks' stock sound: airy, effortless, lush.

I wonder how the GEC will fare with my new drivers.

IMG_5697.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back