Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Dec 12, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #4,021 of 11,833
Thanks @connieflyer and @pctazhp for your kind words and support through all this...along with all you other great guys here in Elisedom. As has been stated many times by others, we are indeed a community unequalled in forum thread land...of that I am sure. Keep up the good work guys!...And yes, cf, I shall try my hardest to be refreshed anew for her arrival - it will be back to "Midnight missives" once more...you have been warned!!..(as has my better half lol!
eek.gif
wink_face.gif
). Trouble is, I ain't getting any younger, and I really do need my beauty sleep alas...but who cares, when Elise is on the menu?!!...especially Elise "SE"/"Silver Edition"/"Optima"...all suggestions as to what she should be called are more than welcome folks!!

And @DecentLevi, if I do indeed give the Utopias a listen with my new amp, I shall blame you for leading me into bankruptcy lol!!
redface.gif
wink.gif
. Your comments re. the need for more power to make 'em shine have sparked my optimism anew - my brief experience of the initial prototype certainly hinted at greater power/dynamics, even if the actual power output figure isn't much higher per se (such a measurement doesn't always translate directly into just how a transducer is driven, of course...as per Yamamoto's wonderful creations, eg. a mere 2 Watts driving loudspeakers lol!!). So I am quite hopeful that F-A's new circuit design will indeed be able to make the Focals perform near their best!....Watch this space!!...

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4,023 of 11,833
  Lots happening here. Keep it up. The band must play on. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Great news @hypnos1. Should get to you before Christmas.

Thanks UT...should be here in the next few days in fact - given a following wind lol!
wink_face.gif
And should be well burned in by Christmas...
biggrin.gif
...(domestic harmony notwithstanding, that is !!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
).

Maestro Henryk obviously wasn't going to let a troublesome Caddock resistor circuit beat him...thank goodness!...it appears they were quite surprised at the improvement in SQ from just this upgrade alone, so all is boding very well indeed - a truly wonderful Christmas present. The painful wait seems much less of an ordeal now...and that's before I've even opened the box LOL!!!
darthsmile.gif
...(my hands are shaking with anticipation already!).

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4,024 of 11,833

Soon you will be in Middle Earth
ksc75smile.gif

I just need to keep studying until then...

@hypnos1 good for you, I'm sure we're all looking forward to your impressions!

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,025 of 11,833

I just need to keep studying until then...

@hypnos1 good for you, I'm sure we're all looking forward to your impressions!

And thanks to you too, angpsi...I only hope I don't upset too many folks who have already put in their orders for Elise MKI lol!!
wink_face.gif

And re. your mention of "My Elise" nomenclature, I must warn you now that I myself unashamedly refer to my own "precious" as she!  I have indeed been ridiculed in the past for this "misdemeanour", but as far as I'm concerned, any possession about which one is passionate; cossets dearly, and treats with loving care and attention surely deserves the feminine gender...not that I would dream of associating the term "possession" to our dearly beloved ones lol!
eek.gif
tongue.gif
...(thank goodness my better half isn't looking over my shoulder!!).

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #4,026 of 11,833
Hi h1,

What I appreciated when the original Elise was being introduced was that Feliks Audio asked for input from the public in designing the amp and it's features. 

The original amp, as examples, had a headphone jack at a front corner (the corner looked like a piece was sliced off for the jack), and no power indicator light on the front panel. At the request of people, the location for the headphone jack was changed to the front panel, and an indicator light was added to the front. In addition, we asked for a protective circuit in case a tube shorted out, and this was also added. There is no doubt in my mind that this circuit has saved several amps from oblivion.

On my Elise the on/off switch in the back is illuminated - having the indicator light on the front eliminates the need for a switch that lights up, especially since it is hard to see.

What I would like to see in the new Elise is a small built in fan that is very quiet to eliminate heat build up, which seems to be a potential problem.

And a little dot or line on the volume control for visual confirmation (may be there already).

And while I am wishing, why not a much beefier transformer that can handle 5A power tubes?

Re the name I propose a simple name: Elise SE (Silver Edition/Special Edition - your choice!)

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #4,027 of 11,833
RCA 6080 + RCA 12AV7 on the Elise

Exquisite and limitless. Encircled with boundless energy! It's vivid, linear, lush, snappy and has superb instrument separation. Like a giant killer of headphones, this is the executioner of many, many tube combos that came before it. It is also a romantic songstress that adds a timeless ora to the likes of jazz and any well recorded analogue song.

THIS is perhaps the closest to "the truth" I've ever heard on the Elise, and I can say with utmost assurance this is the Elise in top flight!

After also trying every other (top) driver combination with these RCA 6080's the results I got were 'meh' or 'good', but nothing came close to this pairing. Three sets of 6SN7's including Ken-Rad VT-231, Sylvania 6SN7W short bottle and Sylvania 'Bad Boys' left me with a very boomy, unrefined 'back row' feeling. Pairing these 6080's with the EL3N resulted in a very off kilter tonality, too dark and lacking in detail, and pairing them with my miniature Tungsram E80CC gave a sound that was overtly clinical with a strange upper mid glare.

Next trying other flagship powers with the RCA 12AV7 miniature tubes, I heard a few strengths, but wanted to go right back to the above pairing. RCA 12AV7 with brown-base GEC 6AS7G had a fuller, slower sound with larger soundstage and further extruding lifelike elements, yet lacked the detail and cohesiveness / snappyness of the top mentioned pairing. Tung Sol 5998 coke bottle shaped powers with these miniature drivers sounded top notch yet maybe a slight step down from the GEC pairing, due to what I believe is the inherent sound signature of the TS 5998's: a bass quality that is a nuance off kilter as if it's ever so slightly too hollow and liquid. I also tried the GEC 6080 powers, which sound thin / bright as opposed to the "proper" sound of the RCA 6080's.

Other flagship multi-hundred dollar power combinations have varying minor advantages over the RCA 6080 + RCA 12AV7, but overall THIS is an ultimate in fidelity / transparency / linearity! My friends if you're pairing these RCA 6080's with anything other than the above you're not getting their full potential. What can I say... brand names can pair well!

PS - as mentioned before RCA 12AV7 are rare and require an adapter, but other versions are available such as RCA 12AU7, 12AX7 and 12AZ7 which are identical except for different gain factors. Those are cheap and RCA 6080's are as cheap as discount wine bottles!

PPS - this combo even seems to have the ability to make my least favorite DAC sound fantastic!!

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #4,030 of 11,833
Hi DL,

As someone who introduced the RCA 6080 power tubes to the Elise forum (perhaps eliciting a few raised eyebrows), I appreciate your comments. You mention that you find them dark with the EL3N, but in my system which is on the bright side, they work very well. It is true that the RCA 6080 aren't the most detailed power tubes, but they have a wonderful musicality and really great mid bass.

IMHO they sound better than the OEM Svetlana tubes, and as an upgrade option they may be the least expensive way to go.

My favorite power tubes now are the GEC 6AS7/A1834, but as a budget alternative the RCA 6080 are hard to beat, sounding better than many higher priced tubes. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #4,031 of 11,833
  Hi h1,

What I appreciated when the original Elise was being introduced was that Feliks Audio asked for input from the public in designing the amp and it's features. 

The original amp, as examples, had a headphone jack at a front corner (the corner looked like a piece was sliced off for the jack), and no power indicator light on the front panel. At the request of people, the location for the headphone jack was changed to the front panel, and an indicator light was added to the front. In addition, we asked for a protective circuit in case a tube shorted out, and this was also added. There is no doubt in my mind that this circuit has saved several amps from oblivion.

On my Elise the on/off switch in the back is illuminated - having the indicator light on the front eliminates the need for a switch that lights up, especially since it is hard to see.

What I would like to see in the new Elise is a small built in fan that is very quiet to eliminate heat build up, which seems to be a potential problem.

And a little dot or line on the volume control for visual confirmation (may be there already).

And while I am wishing, why not a much beefier transformer that can handle 5A power tubes?

Re the name I propose a simple name: Elise SE (Silver Edition/Special Edition - your choice!)

Hi mordy.

Yes indeed, F-A certainly have been very accommodating to our wishes lol!
biggrin.gif

With regard to the "SE" model - which I agree must be a top contender for name, even if rather ubiquitous! - some of the features you mentioned will most probably have to wait for Elise's successor a good bit further down the road (if one is actually needed LOL!!
wink_face.gif
).

A fan and beefier trafo would also necessitate a new, bigger case and chassis of course...something they (understandably!) didn't want to undertake at this stage - the added cost would surely be a step way too far just now.

They have obviously looked at the heat factor, given the two heatsinks already inside prior to the additional ventilation they discovered was needed just for the new Caddock resistor circuit. Extensive, prolonged high-load testing would now appear to have addressed this issue to Henryk's satisfaction...hence the extra pain endured re. the wait lol!!
wink.gif

The first (new) prototype had a white line on the side of the vol knob, as opposed to the tiny dot on the front of my original amp...I presume the finalised version will be the same...(will let you know when "The Eagle has Landed"!!!).

Now, just the final wait...
L3000.gif
...(getting impatient already!
tongue.gif
).

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #4,032 of 11,833
Do many (any?) high end amps have fans?
All class A amps, and all tube amps, get warm. Tubes HAVE to be warm to work, and good quality caps are happy enough up to 105c. Even cheap ones will get a reasonable life span at 85c, and IIRC someone checked the insides of Elise and she was nowhere near these temps. Passive cooling is the silent solution (both mechanical and electrical noise likely to be introduced by any integrated fan).
SE (Silver Edition) sounds good - the next one (Mk3) would then be the GOLD!

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,033 of 11,833
  Do many (any?) high end amps have fans?
All class A amps, and all tube amps, get warm. Tubes HAVE to be warm to work, and good quality caps are happy enough up to 105c. Even cheap ones will get a reasonable life span at 85c, and IIRC someone checked the insides of Elise and she was nowhere near these temps. Passive cooling is the silent solution (both mechanical and electrical noise likely to be introduced by any integrated fan).
SE (Silver Edition) sounds good - the next one (Mk3) would then be the GOLD!

Hi S67.

Must admit I MUCH prefer passive cooling that can dispense with the need for a fan and any possible accompanying downsides. The only time I was a little concerned with my amp was when using the Mullard ECC31 drivers, which for some strange reason really pushed the temp. up high. And although overall temperature may have been within the safe zone, it is just possible that certain individual components could be nearing their max. operating parameters, which just might then cause a problem if said component(s) were below 100% state in the first place! I'm quite sure this is in fact a scenario that has hit many a circuit at some time or other, regardless of cost/usual reliability etc. - not every single component can be stress-tested before implementation of course, or "over-engineered" just to be on the safe side...(practicality/cost etc. etc.).

And so I now view my prolonged wait agony in a much more positive light - ie. a silent, fan-free Elise SE (Silver Edition...YES!!) that has been pushed to limits I have no intention whatsoever of replicating anyway LOL!!
wink_face.gif
darthsmile.gif
...BRING IT ON!!...

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,034 of 11,833

New Elise, new excitement
L3000.gif

Right now I'm using my mundane "Old Elise" in a very mundane manner. I have to complete watching 15 hours of law videos by Thursday in order to stay out of trouble with the Arizona bar. This is the first year I'm watching these videos with Elise provided audio. As wonderful and magical as Elise is, I can report the videos are no more interesting this year.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,035 of 11,833
  New Elise, new excitement
L3000.gif

Right now I'm using my mundane "Old Elise" in a very mundane manner. I have to complete watching 15 hours of law videos by Thursday in order to stay out of trouble with the Arizona bar. This is the first year I'm watching these videos with Elise provided audio. As wonderful and magical as Elise is, I can report the videos are no more interesting this year.
biggrin.gif

Bet they would be with Elise SE lol!!!
wink_face.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Whatever, pct, I wish you the best of luck with them there videos, mon ami...
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back