Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Mar 20, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #346 of 542
Hello,
You would be 0.5 v over with the setting of 3 V. Nothing happens.
It would be more critical if more than 5 V were to go through, I guess.
As a rule, they can cope with more and are set in such a way that if more goes through, it doesn't shoot everything to pieces straight away.

In your case I see a tendency that it will lead to clipping.
So a crosstalk, slight scratching, unclean...
Make sure that you don't use the full power with the Dap then it should work without clipping.
You will find out the point of death where clipping occurs over time. When you find it, reduce the volume on the Dap a little and everything will be fine again.
So I did this today.
Set the Hugo 2 to about 50% volume (Teal) and the volume of the Echo 2 to around 10 o'clock driving the ZMF Aoelus.
Previously Hugo2 set to line level mode (Lilac) and the volume of the Echo 2 between 8 to 9 o'clock
I am not sure if this is just mental but it the sound is a lot more natural. It sounded as if the music just flows effortlessly, more mature (?). Compared to the previous setting, I felt that everything is cramped/even forced into my head. I'm not even sure if I'm making sense here since I'm really new to the headphone scene.
I guess I have to try playing around with the settings some more to get to my sweet spot.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #347 of 542
So the manual on the website states they're using 6n6p power tubes? Are these replaceable with anything else considering the whole russian thing we have going on here? Going to be hard to come by

Also, what's everyone's favorite driver tube? I'm so overwhelmed with my first tube amp and there being so many tubes to choose from. I liked the stock tube sound (really warm and full, good bass) and also have Amperex 7308 which are a bit more dry though many say these are the things of legend lol

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #349 of 542
Has anyone tried 6CG7 or 7DJ8 in the Echo MK1? Both of those types work fine in my Valhalla 2.
Upscale has a firm opinion of only using 6922 with the Ech.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #350 of 542
Has anyone tried 6CG7 or 7DJ8 in the Echo MK1? Both of those types work fine in my Valhalla 2.
Upscale has a firm opinion of only using 6922 with the Ech.
The manual states you can use E88cc, 6N23p, 6dj8, and 6922.

Not sure why they recommend those, maybe the amount of voltage they can push?

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #351 of 542
The data for the 6CG7
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6cg7.html

I used one in the Vali 2 back then.
Here are the data:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6922.html

The difference seems to be that it uses 0.3 amps less than the 6cg7.
Now the question is where is the total amp limit for the amplifier?
You should not exceed that.
With the 6922 I understand the statement of Upscale, because it is a common tube with a lot of choice, and really are not bad.
They have a nice lush sound.

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #352 of 542
The manual states you can use E88cc, 6N23p, 6dj8, and 6922.

Not sure why they recommend those, maybe the amount of voltage they can push?
Too clarify, Upscale advises to use only the tubes listed in manual. The 7DJ8 and 6CG7 are tempting to roll into the amp....

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #353 of 542
The 6cg7 would probably work if the total ampere is not exceeded.
Since you need 2, that would be 1.2 amps. since one tube uses 0.6 amps.
If the other 2 tubes use 0.8 amps each, that makes a total of 1.6+1.2 amps.
Let's say the Echo could handle a maximum of 4 amps, you would just be in there as an example.

With the Feliks Elise/Euforia it's 6 or 7 amps where you can go, then it's over.

Some people go with different adapters and use different tubes and stay within this ampere limit.
But Feliks does not recommend it and says himself that the tubes are to be used where they are approved in the manual.
Because this also voids the warranty and the amplifier is not designed for this.
So if you do it, you do it at your own risk.

If you don't like the 6922 or if it doesn't fit, you can always consider replacing the capacitors with the same values.
The added value would probably be greater than chasing after expensive tubes while the 6922 is still affordable.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #355 of 542
So the manual on the website states they're using 6n6p power tubes? Are these replaceable with anything else considering the whole russian thing we have going on here? Going to be hard to come by

Also, what's everyone's favorite driver tube? I'm so overwhelmed with my first tube amp and there being so many tubes to choose from. I liked the stock tube sound (really warm and full, good bass) and also have Amperex 7308 which are a bit more dry though many say these are the things of legend lol
I have been a Feliks Echo II Owner since a year ago. At first I spent all the burn in process with the stock tubes and really liked it. After about 6 months of use, one of the tubes was producing some noise (buzzing) and that got me looking for replacements. After some research I found a matched pair of NOS 6922/E88CC Tungsrams. I was a bit reluctant to spend $150 usd in tubes for a sub $1000 amp without knowing how much It could improve. Finally I decided to do so, and I couldn’t be more happy with this little amp, It took the Echo to another level. If this amp has a very low noise floor… now is dead quiet, and even when the included 6n1p have good dynamics and good sound overall, this Tungsrams show how much the Echo can scale up with better tubes. After observing the positive results of the exercise, I found a matched pair of phono grade 6922 Phillips Jan tubes apparently made by Silvania, for half the price of the Tungsrams with similar results just with their own “flavor”.

UPDATE: A few moths ago I purchased the pulse tubes 6922/12axx adapter:

https://pulsetubestore.com/products/12axx-to-ecc88-adapter-plug-play-novib-©-1960s-nos-british-mcmurdo-phenolic-socket-on-top-plus-vibration-reduction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china

I have been so happy listening to 6922/E88cc Tungsrams that I kept those adapters in a box for a while. A few days ago, I was curious about the sound of the 12a*7 tubes in the Echo. To make a good a comparison between tubes, I plugged to the adapters a pair of 12au7 Tungsrams made in the same country (Hungary) and apparently same factory produced in 1980 vs 1979. The intention of this exercise was to compare characteristics of the E88CC/6922 family vs 12a*7´s in the Echo, trying to keep the minimal possible variables. To my ears 12au7´s staged much bigger due to better separation, more textured base, organic mids and a nice controlled treble. Mostly in the 8k and 9k band, that in some tracks using the Verite and Aeolus as reference, can show a bit of sibilance using the 6922. Overall even when the 6922 sounds really good, describing it as precise, linear and Dynamic. To me the 12au7´s delivered some qualities I've listened in higher end equipment, taking the Echo one more step up.

At the end the Feliks was built for the 6n1p/6822/E88cc tubes, and I don't know how much my system synergy or personal preference can influence this findings, but they were significant and evident to me. I think that so many audio companies were using 6922 family tubes in their entry level products as an alternative to the rising prices of 12a*7 tubes in past years, that has produced the opposite in the present tube market, making the 6922 more expensive when looking for NOS.

Even with this actual price madness, is not that hard to find very nice NOS 12au7s at affordable prices like this:

https://www.tctubes.com/Sylvania-12AU7A-organ-stock-matched-pair.aspx
or
https://www.tubemonger.com/Funkwerk_RFT_70s_ECC82_Halo_Extra_Supp_Tesla_MIL_p/794a.htm
by example.

NOTE: I tried some 12aT7 and 12ax7 tubes and they didn't work as good as the 12au7. It seems that the gain is too high producing a subtle audible distortion and weird volume ranges.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #356 of 542
I have been a Feliks Echo II Owner since a year ago. At first I spent all the burn in process with the stock tubes and really liked it. After about 6 months of use, one of the tubes was producing some noise (buzzing) and that got me looking for replacements. After some research I found a matched pair of NOS 6922/E88CC Tungsrams. I was a bit reluctant to spend $150 usd in tubes for a sub $1000 amp without knowing how much It could improve. Finally I decided to do so, and I couldn’t be more happy with this little amp, It took the Echo to another level. If this amp has a very low noise floor… now is dead quiet, and even when the included 6n1p have good dynamics and good sound overall, this Tungsrams show how much the Echo can scale up with better tubes. After observing the positive results of the exercise, I found a matched pair of phono grade 6922 Phillips Jan tubes apparently made by Silvania, for half the price of the Tungsrams with similar results just with their own “flavor”.

UPDATE: A few moths ago I purchased the pulse tubes 6922/12axx adapter:

https://pulsetubestore.com/products/12axx-to-ecc88-adapter-plug-play-novib-©-1960s-nos-british-mcmurdo-phenolic-socket-on-top-plus-vibration-reduction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china

I have been so happy listening to 6922/E88cc Tungsrams that I kept those adapters in a box for a while. A few days ago, I was curious about the sound of the 12a*7 tubes in the Echo. To make a good a comparison between tubes, I plugged to the adapters a pair of 12au7 Tungsrams made in the same country (Hungary) and apparently same factory produced in 1980 vs 1979. The intention of this exercise was to compare characteristics of the E88CC/6922 family vs 12a*7´s in the Echo, trying to keep the minimal possible variables. To my ears 12au7´s staged much bigger due to better separation, more textured base, organic mids and a nice controlled treble. Mostly in the 8k and 9k band, that in some tracks using the Verite and Aeolus as reference, can show a bit of sibilance using the 6922. Overall even when the 6922 sounds really good, describing it as precise, linear and Dynamic. To me the 12au7´s delivered some qualities I've listened in higher end equipment, taking the Echo one more step up.

At the end the Feliks was built for the 6n1p/6822/E88cc tubes, and I don't know how much my system synergy or personal preference can influence this findings, but they were significant and evident to me. I think that so many audio companies were using 6922 family tubes in their entry level products as an alternative to the rising prices of 12a*7 tubes in past years, that has produced the opposite in the present tube market, making the 6922 more expensive when looking for NOS.

Even with this actual price madness, is not that hard to find very nice NOS 12au7s at affordable prices like this:

https://www.tctubes.com/Sylvania-12AU7A-organ-stock-matched-pair.aspx
or
https://www.tubemonger.com/Funkwerk_RFT_70s_ECC82_Halo_Extra_Supp_Tesla_MIL_p/794a.htm
by example.

NOTE: I tried some 12aT7 and 12ax7 tubes and they didn't work as good as the 12au7. It seems that the gain is too high producing a subtle audible distortion and weird volume ranges.
Have you tried any different power tubes? The 6N6P. If so then where did you get them? I got some from Viva Tubes, but I found them a little too bright for my taste.

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #357 of 542
Have you tried any different power tubes? The 6N6P. If so then where did you get them? I got some from Viva Tubes, but I found them a little too bright for my taste.
I got a matched pair of 6n6p red tips that are supposed to be higher spec, but they didn't make much difference, compared to the tubes included in the Echo MKII.
Those included tubes, the ones of Vivatubes and the red tips were made by Novosibirsk and aside of some extra labels they look identical.
I have been in the search for the "Foton" 6n6p. The getters and the micas of those look very different to the Novosibirsk, perhaps those may produce a different sound ( not necessary better). They used to be very inexpensive and are still announced on e-bay but this Russian seller is away. There are some red tips and Foton's at crazy prices on sites like tubemuseum, but I wouldn't buy at those prices.
Aren't your Vivatubes identical to those included in your Echo?
If you feel that your Viva tubes are brighter, it can be that they are in the need of some burn in.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #358 of 542
I got a matched pair of 6n6p red tips that are supposed to be higher spec, but they didn't make much difference, compared to the tubes included in the Echo MKII.
Those included tubes, the ones of Vivatubes and the red tips were made by Novosibirsk and aside of some extra labels they look identical.
I have been in the search for the "Foton" 6n6p. The getters and the micas of those look very different to the Novosibirsk, perhaps those may produce a different sound ( not necessary better). They used to be very inexpensive and are still announced on e-bay but this Russian seller is away. There are some red tips and Foton's at crazy prices on sites like tubemuseum, but I wouldn't buy at those prices.
Aren't your Vivatubes identical to those included in your Echo?
If you feel that your Viva tubes are brighter, it can be that they are in the need of some burn in.
I saw those red tips on the tubemuseum site the other day. I thought they are at a ridiculous price right now. Not sure if the 6N6P from Vivatubes are identical to the stock ones. I think you are right that they might need some burn in. Only used them for about 3 hours and then switched back to the stock tubes. Might give them another try and let them burn in for a longer period of time. I guess I just got impatient 😀

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #359 of 542
I saw those red tips on the tubemuseum site the other day. I thought they are at a ridiculous price right now. Not sure if the 6N6P from Vivatubes are identical to the stock ones. I think you are right that they might need some burn in. Only used them for about 3 hours and then switched back to the stock tubes. Might give them another try and let them burn in for a longer period of time. I guess I just got impatient 😀
The easiest way to identify this tube varieties and many more is by looking at the plate shape and size, and the structure holding the getter plus the getter itself. by example, the previous mentioned Foton's have a square getter Vs a disk getter of the Novo's.

The 6n6p tubes are actually good in my experience, the ones that tend to be a bit inferior and noisier are the Voshkod rockets 6n1p compared to the 12au7's and the E88cc/6922.

In this link there are some 6n6p variants that I have been able to find:

https://tubes-store.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ecc99

Unfortunately the foton's are out of stock.

This tube may work, but I haven't found much info about it:

https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-ecc99-rf-double-triode-preamp-vacuum-tube

It has a slight higher mu and anode resistance but the pins and the 6.3 volt filament are the same. (Not sure that it will produce a positive change in the quality of sound)

Maybe someone in the forum have tried them and can provide some guidance.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #360 of 542
The easiest way to identify this tube varieties and many more is by looking at the plate shape and size, and the structure holding the getter plus the getter itself. by example, the previous mentioned Foton's have a square getter Vs a disk getter of the Novo's.

The 6n6p tubes are actually good in my experience, the ones that tend to be a bit inferior and noisier are the Voshkod rockets 6n1p compared to the 12au7's and the E88cc/6922.

In this link there are some 6n6p variants that I have been able to find:

https://tubes-store.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ecc99

Unfortunately the foton's are out of stock.

This tube may work, but I haven't found much info about it:

https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-ecc99-rf-double-triode-preamp-vacuum-tube

It has a slight higher mu and anode resistance but the pins and the 6.3 volt filament are the same. (Not sure that it will produce a positive change in the quality of sound)

Maybe someone in the forum have tried them and can provide some guidance.
Thanks for your input. They pretty much look identical except that the stock getter has only one little rod going to the spacer whereas the vivatube has a rod on each side of the getter going to the spacer. Other than that I can't see any differences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back