Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #331 of 542
Hello guys. Newbie here so please excuse my question.
I have an Echo 2 on the way and I plan to drive the ZMF Auteur with it. I plan to pair it with my Hugo2 as DAC but I'M just wondering if it is possible to connect it to my DAP (specifically AK SE 180) as transport and DAC?
Thank you so much in advance.
I don't see why not. All you would need would be a 4.4 balanced to rca cable. Here's an example.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #333 of 542
UPDATE: I swapped messages with a US retailler, and they advised that using 12Axx adapters would void warranty. Experiment at your own risk :)

Question for Echo owners. Is there a way to adjust the gain on the amp by running different tubes? Like for the Pendant you can run 12AU7, 12AX7, and 12AT7 input tubes, and they all had different gain factors (mu?). I ask as I'm barely using the volume knob with my Focals and ZMFs. Would love to run less gain and use more of the knob range. I know I can run attenuators to lower the input signal, but I hate those long things in the back putting a lot of leverage pressure on the jacks.
@erics75 or anyone else....

Has anyone tried the 12Axx adapters with the Echo II? I have a pair with my Valhalla 2, and really want to give this amp a try.

If someone wants to sell me their Echo II to experiment, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #334 of 542
UPDATE: I swapped messages with a US retailler, and they advised that using 12Axx adapters would void warranty. Experiment at your own risk :)

Has anyone tried the 12Axx adapters with the Echo II? I have a pair with my Valhalla 2, and really want to give this amp a try.

If someone wants to sell me their Echo II to experiment, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :wink:
I have not, sorry

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #335 of 542
Got an Echo recently. I know some people have had success using 12AU7 in place of 6922 in other applications, so I decided to take a spin on that with my Echo. But instead of the dual-triode 12AU7 I'm using two single-triode 6C4. There is a large and growing following of users of the 6C5/6J5 in place of 6SN7 and this is the same idea. Using two single-triodes in place of their double-triode equivalent has proven to be a significant sonic upgrade in every case. I asked @Deyan make some adapters, which would be the first of their kind. I haven't seen 6C4-to-6922 adapters anywhere else. It sounds wonderful as expected. I'm still evaluating and will post more impressions and comparisons in the near future. I have many 6C4 tubes to roll! I would imagine Liquid Platinum owners might be interested in this as well.

0113211544.jpg

0113211543.jpg

Did you ever try 12Axx adapters in your Echo?

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #336 of 542

How would they be able to know that someone used tubes not approved by Feliks?

Feb 27, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #337 of 542
It's kind of admirable to see, and strangely enough it's the same with every Feliks amp, that people prefer to spend their money on tube adapters and buy tubes for them.
But the Feliks amplifiers are quite simple and you can get more out of them with a capacitor swap.
Of course, the warranty is void, but this way you stay within the specifications of the amplifier for which it was intended.
Without damaging the internal components by unnecessarily stressing the amplifier with adapters.
I would like to see the inside of the amplifier if it is as simple as the Elise and Euforia series.
I have never seen or found one.

Mar 9, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #338 of 542
Mine did buzz because of the wifi router near it (1.5m away). Try move it around.

Other option is to leave the amp on for a couple of hours, the tube will burn in and the buzz will disappear. Hopefully this will work.
That just fixed my buzzing issue. Moved my router. So nice to have a black background back. Thought my tubes were bad. Thanks.

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #339 of 542
L1011298.jpg
L1011299.jpg
L1011302.jpg
L1011303.jpg
L1011305.jpg
L1011306.jpg
L1011307.jpg
L1011308.jpg

Mar 16, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #340 of 542
What tubes could I get for my echo 2 to make it more tubey?

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #341 of 542
Sorry for another newbie question. Couldn't seem to find a concrete/direct answer in the internet.
So I have my echo 2 for a a month now with the Hugo2 as the source via line level out. I've read that the line level out of the Hugo 2 is at 3V. Is this compatible with the Echo 2 (should it be just 2 or 2.5V)? Does it even matter? I tried connecting my Ak SE180 DAP directly to the echo 2 an the line level out has options such as 2-2.5-3 so it kept me wondering. I mean I'm loving what I'm hearing out of the pair and I just want to make sure that I'm not damaging my equipment.
Thank you so much in advance

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #342 of 542
Sorry for another newbie question. Couldn't seem to find a concrete/direct answer in the internet.
So I have my echo 2 for a a month now with the Hugo2 as the source via line level out. I've read that the line level out of the Hugo 2 is at 3V. Is this compatible with the Echo 2 (should it be just 2 or 2.5V)? Does it even matter? I tried connecting my Ak SE180 DAP directly to the echo 2 an the line level out has options such as 2-2.5-3 so it kept me wondering. I mean I'm loving what I'm hearing out of the pair and I just want to make sure that I'm not damaging my equipment.
Why don't you write directly to Feliks Audio and ask? :relaxed:

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #343 of 542
Hello,
You would be 0.5 v over with the setting of 3 V. Nothing happens.
It would be more critical if more than 5 V were to go through, I guess.
As a rule, they can cope with more and are set in such a way that if more goes through, it doesn't shoot everything to pieces straight away.

In your case I see a tendency that it will lead to clipping.
So a crosstalk, slight scratching, unclean...
Make sure that you don't use the full power with the Dap then it should work without clipping.
You will find out the point of death where clipping occurs over time. When you find it, reduce the volume on the Dap a little and everything will be fine again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back