Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #226 of 542
It was a great stream @MRphotography!

I received my Echo 2 a couple of days ago and so far I'm very happy :) I currently have the 6XX and patiently waiting for my Aeolus to arrive.

I haven't finished burning in the stock tubes yet but found a great used pair of the Amperex 7308s and I couldn't resist :)

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #227 of 542
It was a great stream @MRphotography!

I received my Echo 2 a couple of days ago and so far I'm very happy :) I currently have the 6XX and patiently waiting for my Aeolus to arrive.

I haven't finished burning in the stock tubes yet but found a great used pair of the Amperex 7308s and I couldn't resist :)
Glad you are digging it!!!!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 3, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #230 of 542
hello, my first post here.

I am surprised to see people running low-impedance headphones from Echo, something like LCD-XC, which is 20 Ohms... I was told this would gradually damage the amp...
Hello,
I'm born and raised in FFM :D

Damage the Amp, because of... why?

Problem in my opinion with Planar Headphones and Echo: To me, it sounds absolute like my SS Amp, that's why i decide to sell my Echo some weeks ago.

May 3, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #231 of 542
I'm planning an upgrade from my schiit stack for my HD800S and I heard OTL tubes were great with them. Is the Echo 2 a good pairing with them?
I would think so. My Auteur, which is a quite neutral headphone, sounds very good on the Echo mk I.

May 3, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #232 of 542
Hello,
I'm born and raised in FFM :D

Damage the Amp, because of... why?

Problem in my opinion with Planar Headphones and Echo: To me, it sounds absolute like my SS Amp, that's why i decide to sell my Echo some weeks ago.

hi,

I'm recent import, originally from Kiev. glad to meet you :)

honestly, I was told this on HiFiGuides Forum, the member there did not expand on the reason. but that, and the fact that it's not recommended by the manufacturer makes me think there must be something to it.

May 3, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #233 of 542
ok, so I have Echo v1 for a few months now...

I originally wanted something to replace Loxjie P20 driving Meze 99 so that I could listen to the records from my hi-fi system in headphones, which I was not doing much that often until the point. I had swapped the tubes on Loxjie and changed the power block, and this setup was rocking, especially when I listened to hip-hop records. but now that I was listening to the headphones more often, I wanted something with a pre-out so I would not have to swap cables all the time, and to add that tubey touch to my main system sound. I was also going to look for a real thing, not the hybrid this time. this was how I settled on Echo and HD650 combo. so, no more cable swaps. as a preamp, the Echo makes audible, if ever so slight, difference in the system... and yet - I sort of expected it to be more pronounced, more tubey I guess. but okay, this is a preamp action, and Echo is essentially first and foremost a headphone amplifier. so, I guess as the sound, record spinning on turntable, coming through Cambridge Audio phono into Echo and out through HD650, I like it. it has certain kick to it. and in this, I suppose it fulfils the expectation. there is slight hum in the main system, but that is due to iffy grounding on the turntable, the affliction of Thorens TD203 I own. when run from a DAC, my Echo is silent.

then, just for kicks, I ran it AB with Cavalli LCX driving Verum v2 headphones. I was feeding Echo SE from SMSL SU-8 DAC while feeding the LCX via balanced from the same DAC. I was somewhat surprised to learn that the sound character was essential pretty much the same for both setups. the bass had more weight to it on Echo+HD650 but the bass was tighter, more controlled on LCX+Verums. I guess I learned what people mean by 'bloated' bass - this was how I would describe it on HD650. and there was this... grain I guess in the HD650 sound... is this the 'veil' people are writing about? sorry, this is my first time with HD650. well, I read that LCX has tubey sound, but this leaves me unsatisfied in this department - I'd like something with a more pronounced tube sound compared to LCX to run from DAC. what would that be? in EUR500-600 department? pre out would be welcome too. should I perhaps consider La Figaro 339i? and what headphone options I have? ZMF is unfortunately out of financial reach for me presently.

or maybe the tube swap on Echo would do it? any recommendations?

May 3, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #237 of 542
Thanks for replying. What dac within the $500 range would you recommend?
I don't have a good grasp on that particular market segment, but I know that Resolve thought highly of the SMSL SU-9. Schiit probably have good options too. Maybe ifi have something interesting. Matrix audio as well.

May 3, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #238 of 542
Many good DACs now its hard to make a bad purchase really, would pick from a brand you like.

May 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #239 of 542
Many good DACs now its hard to make a bad purchase really, would pick from a brand you like.
Agreed, and I’d also note that if you have experience with DACs with specific chip sets (AKM vs ESS Sabre vs R2R “ladder” DACs), consider what you liked vs not.

For example, my experience with ESS Sabre models has been that they are quicker and more detailed, but my R2R Schiit DAC is more organic/fluid, but may lose a little detail in some cases. That said, differences are relatively small and come down to personal preferences!

Until you get up pretty high in price point, there are *minor* trade offs. But indeed, the quality of DACs is very high now, even at budget price points.

May 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #240 of 542
Did I miss a tube rolling guide for the Echo (mk2)? Where do I buy tubes in the first place, and which ones are good with the Echo? Also, do I roll both the power and driver tubes or only one of the pairs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back