Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Mar 26, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #452 of 542
Had an incredible six hour session with my Echo MKII yesterday. It was the first day I had time to sit down and A/B my collection with it for an extended period.

One of the biggest surprises of the day was my Thieaudio Monarch MKII's. These sound incredible with the Echo. Completely black background, super smooth and incredibly punchy and dynamic. I don't throw the word Endgame around lightly but I've listened to a tonne of IEM's and this is the best IEM pairing I've ever heard.

IMG_4897.jpg

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #453 of 542
I have to say that after playing with Holo Bliss, Echo impresses me even more. The value it provides is very very good. I'm going to keep it next to Bliss. Bliss can provide that ultimate reference sound, but Echo is so musical and beautiful still being reference-esque. I feel that for Focal Utopia one musical high value setup is HQPlayer -> Holo Spring 3 + Feliks Echo (+ JJ gold pin).
Funny I came here to post about Echo + Bliss and found someone with the same obscure setup. I think we may be the only two people on here with both lol.
Anyway, I tried the Echo as a preamp to the Bliss hoping to add some tube flavor and... nothing.

Easy to A/B test on the Bliss because I can switch between RCA and XLR1 in a single button press.
RCA was R26 > Echo > Bliss
XLR1 was R26 > Bliss
Volume matched (12oclock on the Echo is unity so same as XLR) and I would quickly cycle between the two and... nothing. Well, I shouldn't say nothing, I could hear the slight crackles from the Echo when I would pause since the transformer in that picks up WiFi interference, but that was it. No difference in sound.

Anyone else have experience using the Echo as a pre? Did it make a difference?

Edit:
In response to above, I also have a pair of Thieaudio Monarch MKII's. Love them with my Topping G5 but never thought to try on the Echo. Will give that a shot.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #454 of 542
Wonderful with VE Zen 3.0 earbuds

PXL_20230328_193150156~3.jpg

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #455 of 542
Just tried the Monarchs on my Echo. Kevintj604, you must really like bass cause these get boosted a lot! 32ohm Monarch is less impedance than the ~50ohm Echo so bass gets driven a lot harder, my eardrums are shaking :laughing:

I bit too much for me but anyone who wants their bass boomy and the focus of the track, you'll like it.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #456 of 542
Just tried the Monarchs on my Echo. Kevintj604, you must really like bass cause these get boosted a lot! 32ohm Monarch is less impedance than the ~50ohm Echo so bass gets driven a lot harder, my eardrums are shaking :laughing:

I bit too much for me but anyone who wants their bass boomy and the focus of the track, you'll like it.
I sure do. I'm an unabashed Bass Head. I know the cable topic can spark a lot of debate but I think the PW cable that I have adds a touch of warmth compared to the stock cable. I wouldn't really listen critically to the Monarch's on the Echo as I prefer them on my KANN Max but I've never heard Hip-Hop sound so good on the Echo.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #457 of 542
I have settled with these tubes:
6N6P OTK Nevz gold grid true NOS milspec red tip. (matched pair for 75€)
E88CC BEL NOS, identical to Philips E88CC SQ. These were made in India. (matched pair for 282€)

I also have a pair of ECC88 Brimar here which are warmer sounding but they don't have gold sockets. CLEARLY the gold MUST be better, right? :beyersmile:

The Echo now has an incredibly low noise floor and never sounded better. The two Beyers are very enjoyable and i am excited to get the Utopia in my hands.

I'm using the same input tubes (BEL E88CC NOS). May I ask how/why you chose those power tubes to go with it? I have stock power tubes, but considering an Amperex 7119 (to be used with an adapter). The 7119 has been reported to work well with a Schiit Valhalla 2, which also uses 6N6P and 6N1P tubes.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #458 of 542
I went back to the original 6N6P tubes, the E88CC BEL NOS tubes were the best tubes i could find online (tubeampdoctor). I also wanted one very nice pair and not dive even deeper into tube rolling, ending up with a lot of tubes that only make a small difference and are mediocre.

I have not found very nice 6N6P tubes yet, hmmmm....
Can i use 7119 tubes in the Echo MK II instead of 6N6P? Most likely not right? Are there other "models" that i could use? the E88CC have more variants like 6922 etc...
I am all for upgrading the 6N6P tubes to something that is way better...

Google says:
What is the equivalent of 6N6p tube?
The closest equivalent is the Ecc182, E182CC although the pinout is different.

So i guess i stay with the original ones...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #459 of 542
• While I have not owned a Feliks Audio Echo, I have owned a Schiit Valhalla II. The tube lineup for each h/p/a is the same.
• Stay with 6N6P for the power tubes: preferably gold grid, Foton or Novosibirsk.
• For the 6922-type input tubes: BEL E88CC are excellent. Others that are so: Tungsram E88CC, Mullard E88CC, Amperex 7308.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #460 of 542
I went back to the original 6N6P tubes, the E88CC BEL NOS tubes were the best tubes i could find online (tubeampdoctor). I also wanted one very nice pair and not dive even deeper into tube rolling, ending up with a lot of tubes that only make a small difference and are mediocre.

I have not found very nice 6N6P tubes yet, hmmmm....
Can i use 7119 tubes in the Echo MK II instead of 6N6P? Most likely not right? Are there other "models" that i could use? the E88CC have more variants like 6922 etc...
I am all for upgrading the 6N6P tubes to something that is way better...

Google says:
What is the equivalent of 6N6p tube?
The closest equivalent is the Ecc182, E182CC although the pinout is different.

So i guess i stay with the original ones...

This is the adapter you would need to use a 7119:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HNSZLC1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whether it would work well, or even work at all, I don't know. I have only read that the Amperex 7119 is great on the Schiit Valhalla 2, using an adapter like this.

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #462 of 542
I have settled with these tubes:
6N6P OTK Nevz gold grid true NOS milspec red tip. (matched pair for 75€)
E88CC BEL NOS, identical to Philips E88CC SQ. These were made in India. (matched pair for 282€)

I also have a pair of ECC88 Brimar here which are warmer sounding but they don't have gold sockets. CLEARLY the gold MUST be better, right? :beyersmile:

The Echo now has an incredibly low noise floor and never sounded better. The two Beyers are very enjoyable and i am excited to get the Utopia in my hands.

I thought the BEL E88CC is identical to the Philips/Amperex 6922/E88CC PQ (and not the SQ)?

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #464 of 542
The ones that benefit from a bigger soundstage, a looser bass and / or a milder treble!
Also: High impedance dynamics.
So for me:
DT1770 ONLY on tubes (for soundstage and milder treble and less aggressiveness)
HD6XX ONLY on tubes (for soundstage and better bass)
Utopia sometimes on tubes (for soundstage and less aggressiveness)
The other headphones do not change that much, and the two big ones want more power. I am eager to hear the ZMF lineup an Highend Munich and may get something later down the line that also pairs well with the Echo.

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #465 of 542
The ones that benefit from a bigger soundstage, a looser bass and / or a milder treble!
Also: High impedance dynamics.
So for me:
DT1770 ONLY on tubes (for soundstage and milder treble and less aggressiveness)
HD6XX ONLY on tubes (for soundstage and better bass)
Utopia sometimes on tubes (for soundstage and less aggressiveness)
The other headphones do not change that much, and the two big ones want more power. I am eager to hear the ZMF lineup an Highend Munich and may get something later down the line that also pairs well with the Echo.
I see you have very expensive headphones. Euforia Evo or Envy are for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back