Fedora Core 5 Help?!
Apr 29, 2006 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I downloaded Fedora Core 5 x86-64 the other day to install on my machine. I'm pretty computer literate when it comes to windows but a total newbie when it comes to linux.

I ran the installation of FC5 and everything went smoothly. When it finished it asked me to reboot. I've had linux installed before but took it off for some reason or another. But, I know when I reboot it should ask to boot with windows or linux. Not so this time. I can't even find the linux install, it wont boot into it or anything.

I am wondering if any linux experts would be able to guide me through this situation. I would love to test out the linux waters but I need to get into it first.

Thanks a ton!!!!

Gordon

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Is your machine booting at all? Or is it just going to windows without asking you?

If it's just going into windows without asking you, then that means grub (the linux bootloader) did not get installed properly into your master boot record, and you probably have to go through the installation process again.

are you doing this with windows and linux sharing the same physical hard drive?

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconroy
Is your machine booting at all? Or is it just going to windows without asking you?

If it's just going into windows without asking you, then that means grub (the linux bootloader) did not get installed properly into your master boot record, and you probably have to go through the installation process again.

are you doing this with windows and linux sharing the same physical hard drive?

Yeah, it's just booting straight to windows and not letting me choose which os I want to use.

I went through the installation process like 3 times and none of which changed the problem, even though I tried changing the settings or whatever of grub.

And yes, they are sharing the same physical drive only on seperate partitions.

Thanks.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 5
I assume this is windows XP?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

Are all your partitions (windows & linux) there? In that case you can use windows' own boot loader to run linux.

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337

Although..... come to thnk of it, it might be better if you just put GRUB and LILO on. Do you remember the installing giving you options about boot loaders?

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back