Federer vs. Roddick tonight!!!
Jan 26, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Hewitt hasn't been playing well since his injury, and his family. Hewitt is not supposed to be a very nice man, but his tennis was incredible when he was back at number 1.

He great at return and getting shots back, but he is lacking in power and shot making. Safin should has no problem playing against Hewitt if he can get his head together. I remember Safin defeated Hewitt in a master in straight sets about 3 years ago. I don't think Hewitt will ever be a force to reckon with again as he is getting slower.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid you have a point there. Some say that men's tennis is going through a slow decline for the past decade. I tend to share that opinion.
Many factors are at play here like the very long time it takes between the first $ invested in a youngster and the final (if ever) return on this investment.
That long time to produce a money maker player is not new but the alternative in lucratives sports activities are so much better these days.

That is the best statement I've read in this thread. We could all learn from you. So Genetic, with this opinion you share, how do you feel about Federer's current (let's discount future assumptions) place in the Tennis pantheon?

For fun, I would also love to read who you think the top all time players are.

As for me, I never liked the era comparison; too many variables. During the last couple of years, I feel men's tennis has been played at an incredible level; much better than the quagmire of ealier this decade. But your opinion bears much more weight. Please expand.

--

Gonzalez looked alright today didn't he? Speaking of shot makers. He could give Federer some trouble if he's on...

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the best statement I've read in this thread. We could all learn from you. So Genetic, with this opinion you share, how do you feel about Federer's current (let's discount future assumptions) place in the Tennis pantheon?

For fun, I would also love to read who you think the top all time players are.

As for me, I never liked the era comparison; too many variables. During the last couple of years, I feel men's tennis has been played at an incredible level; much better than the quagmire of ealier this decade. But your opinion bears much more weight. Please expand.

--

Gonzalez looked alright today didn't he? Speaking of shot makers. He could give Federer some trouble if he's on...

I feel a trap....
very_evil_smiley.gif

What is so interesting about a champion like Fed is why he is so good. He wins because he's an amazing blend of technical and strategical overpowering advantage delivered by excellent, but not that exceptional, physical attributes ( a bit like BigMac was in his time).

A place in the Tennis pantheon? No doubt about it, but he desperately needs an arch-enemy(rival) to create a lasting mythology in tennis history ( like the usual great past confrontations (Borg vs Mac). Dont get me wrong, Grand Chelem victory numbers are impressives on paper but soon enough they will be put under the microscope. He has to win some after loosing a bit more blood before some will began to question his domination.

A difficult one: my all times players list....(I'm old enough to have seen some of the ones who's names are now given to stadiums....
eek.gif
)

It's a pure personal childhood memories here (and even if Arthur Ashes was more my personal hero for what he meant for the political side of sport).
One name: Rod Laver. I saw him at the end of it's «tour de piste» but Rod Laver was the most intriging tennis machine I had the chance to see right in front of me. A biomecanical living masterpiece.... nothing less.

You're also right comparing different eras is an impossible task. Someone could quite possibly be still under the spell of a certain player for reasons as good as mine. I could have chosen Nastase just as easily for being able to keep concentrated even with his own public delirium....
biggrin.gif

Sorry I'm not good with English long answer...
redface.gif

Amicalement

Jan 27, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

He was absolutely on fire, hes taken out some of the higher ranking players all in straight sets, if he keeps his form he may have a chance at Federer but only time will tell.

Gonzalez had a brilliant statistic which was 42 winners to 3 unforced errors in the whole match.

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone want to discuss whether Fed is playing in the weak era?

I think hes kind of a throwback from the days of McEnroe, Edberg, Becker, Navratolova, Wilander... In that they all were "shot makers". Masters of court angles, off speed spins & slices combining an element of power inter-mixed with touch/finesse. Make the opponent work twice as hard. Make them think twice as much about every play and every shot. Make them as awkward as possible, doing seemingly routine things on the court.

A very unique playing style that I think the current crop of players (Roddick, Blake, Fish) lack at least to that degree.

I played against a kid on the junior circuit who was EXACTLY this kind of player... seemingly put that ball into all kinds of wierd angles and places on the court, hes playing on the WTT circuit now....

http://www.kcexplorers.com/Macphie.htm

Ive followed tennis for over 2 decades, its a great thinking man's sport.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think hes kind of a throwback from the days of McEnroe, Edberg, Becker, Navratolova, Wilander... In that they all were "shot makers". Masters of court angles, off speed spins & slices combining an element of power inter-mixed with touch/finesse. Make the opponent work twice as hard. Make them think twice as much about every play and every shot. Make them as awkward as possible, doing seemingly routine things on the court.

A very unique playing style that I think the current crop of players (Roddick, Blake, Fish) lack at least to that degree.

I played against a kid on the junior circuit who was EXACTLY this kind of player... seemingly put that ball into all kinds of wierd angles and places on the court, hes playing on the WTT circuit now....

http://www.kcexplorers.com/Macphie.htm

Ive followed tennis for over 2 decades, its a great thinking man's sport.

mary carillo was commenting that the women's game could learn from federer, too...all the women want to do nowadays is hit it as hard as they can, sort of like how blake and roddick et al play. it's refreshing watching an "oldie" like hingis who, despite her lack of size and power, continues to compete well.

there's no reason that someone like vaidisova couldn't dominate the game if she worked on approaching the net a little more...same with sharapova. could use their height better.

i'm glad roddick is finally learning to "play" tennis rather than just hit the ball...yes, he got spanked by a better player, but if he continues to grow the way he has the last 6 months, i anticipate more from him in the coming years.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #53 of 62
Yep....today's game is more of a baseline and power play. Back then it is more of shot making and finese. BTW, did anyone see Serena played a perfect match? That was a total domination by Serena. A perfect 10 out of 10 game. It wasn't that Maria didn't play well, but Serena was just too good. I'm glad she is back...now where is Venus?

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep....today's game is more of a baseline and power play. Back then it is more of shot making and finese. BTW, did anyone see Serena played a perfect match? That was a total domination by Serena. A perfect 10 out of 10 game. It wasn't that Maria didn't play well, but Serena was just too good. I'm glad she is back...now where is Venus?

the last three matches i've watched have all been routs - federer over roddick, gonzales over haas, and serena over maria...any chance that the federer-gonzales match will be competitive?

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
federer over roddick, gonzales over haas, and serena over maria...any chance that the federer-gonzales match will be competitive?

There's a good chance. Gonz is an up/down player with a big big forehand who's obviously on a hot streak. He can and will attempt to hit winners from anywhere on the court. And when he's on, he can beat anybody. Stamina might not be as large a factor because Gonz had such an easy route to the final. I would bet good money that Fed at least drops his first set tomorrow/today in Australia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
BTW, did anyone see Serena played a perfect match?

Serena, Serena, Serena where you been?! Yeah, I know where she's been. But last night, she looked n a s t y. Am I the only one it appeared to that Maria was fighting back tears a couple of times that match.

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel a trap....
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, not at all! Of course, I have considered that Federer needed a rival for our entertainment, but never for his place in history. That is a very interesting point.

After watching Mr. Becker dive all over rye grass one summer, I went straight to my parents and begged for tennis lessons. So that is where my history begins. Anything before that, and I'm at the mercy of people like you who take a little time to fill me in on how the game was. However, I don't bemoan the past. Every era has a style, and I just try to enjoy it for what it is.

Another Laver men eh?; he appears atop of many person's lists. I guess Grand Slams will do that for you. That is one reason, I would love to see Roger break through. After the final point of the Open, one could say they witnessed an extremely rare sporting achievement.

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #57 of 62
Ya Serena is in domination mode again, should be interesting

On the womens side, I couldn't complain for any better matchups, other then Martina Hingis going farther then the quarters

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Am I the only one it appeared to that Maria was fighting back tears a couple of times that match.

Nay, it was sweat. She played one of her worst, she knew it, 6 double faults...for a No.1 in the world it's a shame, especially when you're 19 and so brainwahsed as she is...let's hope she'll recover - I like her volleys even though I have to mute the TV every time she's playing. Serena was really "in the zone", but Sharapova wasn't even there

Now let's see what Fed will come up with...my bet - meddle in the first untill/if he's down a break, than chip and charge, and if that doesn't work he'll wear him out changing the pace. He wants to get this one w/o dropping a set (he never did that before), and if Rod Laver is there...

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nay, it was sweat.

I thought her eyes appeared rmore red than usual during the first set. Heck, she is only 19. Maybe it was me who wanted to cry after watching that; spot on analysis Xakepa.

--

We have a little over an hour until show time. My head is saying Federer rolls, but my gut says this could be interesting. I hope my gut is right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back