Federer vs. Roddick tonight!!!
Jan 25, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #17 of 62
damn

Looks like Federer completely outclassed Roddick. I was rooting for Roddick but in the end Federer got to Roddick mentally plus Federer was in top form in his game.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's an evening game and even now (12.35ET) Laver looks to be slow.

What Roddick could do different...if Maestro is healthy (he said he is) it could be over early in the second set..or late in the third.

Wake up at 5AM to see the steamer roll

smily_headphones1.gif

Booooy, was I right

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(...) I'm looking forward to the French now just so someone will maybe take a set off that freak.

If you know tennis as well as I think you do you know perfectly well that Fed is so much better than the opposition. One big exception.....clay courts....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Terre battue.....wow!!!! It's in itself a different sport. Nadal is perfect for it: no outstanding weapon but he will run you down again and again. Until his body will, and it will, let him down. It is something he will experience probably much sooner than Fed, but not this year.

Now lets face it, the only real challenge for Fed is lying in the Sampras record....
wink.gif

Amicalement

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you know tennis as well as I think you do you know perfectly well that Fed is so much better than the opposition. One big exception.....clay courts....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Terre battue.....wow!!!! It's in itself a different sport. Nadal is perfect for it: no outstanding weapon but he will run you down again and again. Until his body will, and it will, let him down. It is something he will experience probably much sooner than Fed, but not this year.

Now lets face it, the only real challenge for Fed is lying in the Sampras record....
wink.gif

Amicalement

Federer will destroy on clay as well, its only a matter of time. Finals last year, should be able to win it this year.

Wow, I thought Roddick really had a shot. He was playing great this tourny, and the last little exhibition match they had, he kept up with Federer.

It really has to bite for Roddick (I know it would for me) if you know mathematically, you can only win a major, when Federer is knocked out, and then from there, you have to assume you get far enough.

It be a different story if Federer was injury prone, like a Serena Williams, where you stood a shot, when they didn't play, and could reap the rewards, but thats not happening.

Federer will eat up Sampras's record, like Tiger does with Jack's

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Federer will destroy on clay as well,(...)

Federer will eat up Sampras's record, like Tiger does with Jack's

Destroy is a big word....and dont forget that Sampras did all he could but he missed that one too....
wink.gif

And regarding Sampras's record, being only 25 it's looking extremely good for him. I'll go with a prediction: If he cant win the 6 remaining titles in the next 24 months he probably wont make it.

Amicalement

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 62
I trimmed down our cable package and missed the tourney.
frown.gif
frown.gif
Serves me right for being cheap I guess.

I really enjoy tennis. IMHO its one of the few sports where the majority of the players have respect for the game and feel a sense of responsibility towards the fans.

I dont really have a favorite player though. I like Roddick, being the American, but at times I find him painful to watch. Those loopy doopy forehands from 15 feet behind the baseline, and hes a joke at the net. His backhand though is a real killer... love how Jimmy has flattened it out and transformed it into a real weapon. Watching it in slow-mo is almost a tutorial, line up your shoulders... step into the ball. If he could improve his net game just a little his overall game would improve a ton.

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #23 of 62
I set my DVD recorder for 4 hours long last night and whole match was less than 1.5 hours. I'm sitting here in my office watching it now and can't believe how good Federer is. I thought that Roddick has improved, guess he has a lot more improvement to do. I predict that Roddick probably won't win against Federer again....it is a mental thing! Of course, Fed was playing at a different level and Roddick wasn't playing at his best.

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #24 of 62
Let's just prey he stays healthy and Mirka won't say "Let's have kids". It bothers me that Fed could quit on a heartbeat, much like Borg did - he's not in for the glory or record books, he competes with himslef.

Untill than, enjoy the greatest player of all times and the greates athlete of our generation.

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
step into the ball

Yep, good point, you could tell that was Jimmy's first priority. What amazes me most about the current gen is how many men and women are hitting backhands open stance.

I think Andy's biggest problem for the net is that two handed backhand. Your stuck baselining with one of those. I'm a two hander. Always wish my first coach started me on one though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
One big exception.....clay courts...

Excellent, that is what I was hinting at.
biggrin.gif
I'd like to Roger break through some year hopefully. It will take some things going right like last year, but it could happen like for Agassi. And hopefully, he could win after an Aussi trophy and go for a slam. Wouldn't that be awesome!

You're so right that Roland Garros is Nadal's house right now, but he's young and likes to party, so maybe this year he'll slip!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Women's tennis is much more entertaining than men's tennis.

Really; maybe for the eye candy.
icon10.gif
Besides Henin, they're all just slugging behind the baseline with less parody. I might agree with you earlier this decade when the serve was the men's game king, but right now I think the top mens players are more interesting to watch for me anyway.

I am really looking forward to Williiams/Sharapova though, and maybe Serena will wear a dress that fits...

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #29 of 62
federer admitted after the match that it was possibly the best match he's ever played...and after watching it myself, i can't disagree with him. mary carillo and dick enberg couldn't believe how great he was, either...

it's pretty cool that tennis and golf are currently being dominated by two guys who will eventually be the best ever in their sports...and no surprise that they're friends and admirers of one another...

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

it's pretty cool that tennis and golf are currently being dominated by two guys who will eventually be the best ever in their sports...and no surprise that they're friends and admirers of one another...

Problem is that Federer will likely to dominate tennis game for at most 5 more years, while Tiger wood has several decades to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back