Fed up with iTunes, can any body offer salvation for my iPod Classic 6th Gen?
Mar 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand your problem, there are two alternate ways to sync to your Touch besides drag & drop. First, you can select a group of tracks or albums, right-click, choose "Send to..." and select your Touch. Or you can create a playlist, send the selected tracks/albums to that playlist and configure your Touch to sync with that playlist. I use the latter (one playlist per DAP) and think it's a most elegant and versatile way to sync my DAPs.

Well disregard my previous grievances, I found the "Send to" and all is good. For whatever reason, most likely I just missed it when going through the context menus, I didn't see it.

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #32 of 39
I bought an ipod in August 09' and havent looked back since making the switch to using itunes since then!

I came from an iriver h120 which although a great sounding player was slightly "difficult" when it came to playlists and things - winamp I found messy and awkward to be honest although it did function with the h120 nicely...

I found itunes a revelation, clean sharp easy to understand U.I and playlists are so easy to create and edit, I like the fact that my collection is accessible on both the pc and ipod, when i connect it does everything automatically. I couldnt ask for more!

The only issue I had was with my music collection - the folder layout and content was messy to say the least, I used to get lost files and issues because of that, then one day i decided to let itunes manage the whole thing, i re imported my collection allowing itunes to keep my folders organized and havent had a single issue since, everything works brilliantly.

As for itunes being a front to sell music - that just goes to show how some see things doesnt it, from the other side of the coin you could argue how excellent it is to have a shop function built into an already great program that allows quick and easy access to a huge range of music at a fair price. My only criticism of the itunes store is that you should be able to select the download bit rate, 256kbps is simply not good enough when the bulk of your collection is all lossless.

Apple / itunes is so huge it is always going to attract those who are cynical and wont like it just for what it is / how big it is, one thing I know though is that I listen to more music since having my ipod and crucially a decent computer U.I to operate and organise it all from.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #33 of 39

Quote:
If you use Windows, you can sync with both Winamp and foobar2000. For the first, you will need ml_ipod. It's a straight forward process - read the documentation before all - and it gives you the ability to also download songs from your ipod if needed. For the latter there is great info here.

This would be the players I would recommend, there are other option as well if you research.

If you use Gnu/Linux, there are not many options for QT: Amarok is the way for GTK: gtkpod or Banshee. Everything else is utterly useless - and I say that from experience.

Quote:
I'm planning on going back to an ipod and plan to use that foobar plugin "ipod manager". I havent got the ipod yet but from reading on the hydrogen audio forum it sounds simplicity itself. Give foobar a go if you havent already, it works really well and is much more user friendly than it used to be so it is useable as soon as you download it.

Thanks guys. Really appreciated your help. I just synced my iPod Classic 6G using Foobar2000. It worked like a charm. I really liked the fact that it converts FLAC and APE files into m4a files. Thanks so much!

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #34 of 39

Quote:
Manage iPod - Google Search
Lots of third-party applications out there allowing you to manage the iPod without iTunes.

So what happened to iTunes to make it so horrible? I don't like it, but I don't see how it is a bad piece of software. It does what it does. Of course, compared to FooBar, it is slow, but then Foobar isn't a manager as much as it is an encoding/decoding platform.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #35 of 39
are Mediamonkey and Winamp "related" i.e., part of the same company??  I noticed when I went on theMediaMonkey site, it would often link you to Winamp for certain applications, like they were both part of the same company.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #36 of 39

Quote:
So what happened to iTunes to make it so horrible? I don't like it, but I don't see how it is a bad piece of software. It does what it does. Of course, compared to FooBar, it is slow, but then Foobar isn't a manager as much as it is an encoding/decoding platform.

For a simple syncing app, it's probably fine. But for media management, MediaMonkey does all sorts of things that my gf's iTunes never even begins to. Superb tag management, re-organizing tools, global search & replace (with third party plugin), finding lyrics (another plugin; MM is incredibly extensible with an open API), etc. And I'm only using roughly 35% of its total functionality.

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #37 of 39
Ah, you use Windows, I see. Global stuff iTunes does very well and with scripts set up, it is incredibly helpful. But then, running scripts in Windows may not be possible as there is no native script engine. You don't need a third-party plug in for it.

BUT, I realise that for music listening, it is slow. For that, I would use anything but (if I'm in a hurry), but the thing is, I just wait another 15 seconds and suddenly, iTunes is faster than anything. If I was a Windows user, I'd understand though, as Windows just doesn't have what it takes to make iTunes work right. 

I'd prefer that allow users to disable a lot of features to make iTunes faster, but that won't happen.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #38 of 39

Quote:
 If I was a Windows user, I'd understand though, as Windows just doesn't have what it takes to make iTunes work right. 

This is the single dumbest thing I've heard all day. Are you suggesting that hundreds of other companies are able to compile their product so it is identical across both platforms, but potentially one of the least resource intensive tasks mysteriously can't be coded by apple to run on windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back