Fed up with iTunes, can any body offer salvation for my iPod Classic 6th Gen?
Mar 19, 2010 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

elitiste

Head-Fier
Hi all, I have really had it with iTunes. As many have said, it really is just a front to sell music. I am really sick and tired of this piece of software from "Applesoft" who is always trying to strategically dominate how I play, store and buy my music.

I have a 160GB 6th Gen iPod Classic that I bought in October 2009. Because iTunes has been such a pain, I'm only using a small fraction of the storage space. Could anybody suggest a way to work around iTunes so that I can load music onto my iPod?

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 39
If you use Windows, you can sync with both Winamp and foobar2000. For the first, you will need ml_ipod. It's a straight forward process - read the documentation before all - and it gives you the ability to also download songs from your ipod if needed. For the latter there is great info here.

This would be the players I would recommend, there are other option as well if you research.

If you use Gnu/Linux, there are not many options for QT: Amarok is the way for GTK: gtkpod or Banshee. Everything else is utterly useless - and I say that from experience.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 39
I'm planning on going back to an ipod and plan to use that foobar plugin "ipod manager". I havent got the ipod yet but from reading on the hydrogen audio forum it sounds simplicity itself. Give foobar a go if you havent already, it works really well and is much more user friendly than it used to be so it is useable as soon as you download it.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Any really good ones that people have recommended?

YamiPod maybe, since it support both Mac OS X and MS Windows.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Any really good ones that people have recommended?

Been using Media Monkey since the first week I had my first iPod (6.2G Classic, 12/25/09). I like it so much I've bought a lifetime warranty. It does more than sync, it is a robust application for managing a huge library of files.[1] It has a few faults and idiosyncracies, but for the most part, it's super-keen-o.

[1] I haven't taste-tested a lot of the alternatives, so others mentioned might be just as good. But after reading several reviews and blogs comparing 3rd party iPod-ware which called Media Monkey "the gold standard," I settled on it.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 39
If you had a Zune, you'd be screwed. Seems the iPod isn't as "restricted" as most claim, huh? And yes, I own both.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had a Zune, you'd be screwed. Seems the iPod isn't as "restricted" as most claim, huh? And yes, I own both.

The iPod's still pretty restricted. It's just so popular there's money in making alternatives to iTunes. I don't think the lack of third party Zune software solutions should be seen as an indictment of the quality of the Zune.

All that said, I like iTunes and find it to actually be pretty useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back