Feb 10 - iPhone comes to Verizon
Jan 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 42

Quote:
 AT&T has worked tirelessly to lose my business. However, the contrarian in me wonders if AT&T's network might improve with fewer customers.

I doubt it would it could but I doubt if AT&T hasn't did anything this long then....

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:
I asked this question to Verizon support today, because my contract is up next week. They told me that yes the web traffic stops when you pick up the call, but as soon as you hang up you're still on the same web page. Oddly enough though, they said you can get texts while tethered.

That's interesting, but I think texting is much less data to get through the channel and not create issues with voice that say, a full on web surfing data stream.  I've never had a tethering plan, so I wouldn't know on that end.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #33 of 42

Quote:
 ...I've never had a tethering plan, so I wouldn't know on that end....

I was only curious because I pay $59/mo for 5Gb of mobile broadband on my laptop. (Lotsa travel and downloading.) I can basically upgrade my antique phone to an iphone that can be used as the internet connection for my laptop (tethering) and the price is the same.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #34 of 42

Quote:
That's interesting, but I think texting is much less data to get through the channel and not create issues with voice that say, a full on web surfing data stream.  I've never had a tethering plan, so I wouldn't know on that end.

1+

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #35 of 42

Quote:
Why buy a Verizon iPhone now? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait for iPhone 5 in June (you know it's coming) and then make the jump?

If there is an iPhone 5 in June, I highly doubt it will be available for Verizon. Even by Apple's standards, it makes no sense to come out with an updated version of a product only four months after its launch. My guess is that we may see different release dates for each carrier (AT&T in June, Verizon in January, etc.). If there is an iPhone 5 for Verizon in June, everyone that buys it now will feel suckered. If there is not an iPhone 5 for Verizon in June, everyone who waited will feel suckered.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #38 of 42

Quote:
If there is an iPhone 5 in June, I highly doubt it will be available for Verizon. Even by Apple's standards, it makes no sense to come out with an updated version of a product only four months after its launch. My guess is that we may see different release dates for each carrier (AT&T in June, Verizon in January, etc.). If there is an iPhone 5 for Verizon in June, everyone that buys it now will feel suckered. If there is not an iPhone 5 for Verizon in June, everyone who waited will feel suckered.

Apple's been leaning towards transitioning to a Qualcomm baseband chipset for a while and I'd be pretty surprised if they don't use a combined CDMA/GSM/UMTS unit to consolidate SKUs in the '11 refresh, then add LTE support for both carriers in the '12 refresh. Because of that, I really don't see staggered releases happening for ATT and Verizon.

As far as "Why launch the iPhone 4 now?", I'd put it down to a need to slow Android's adoption rate. 4 months is a very long time given that consumers get hardware subsides every two years.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #40 of 42
/hugs rooted Motorola  Droid 1  
beyersmile.png

Both companies have their good and faults, as for me I love the customizations of a fully rooted Droid. My co-worker and friend, had an unlocked iPhone 3GS, played around with my phone for a couple of hours ended up selling his iPhone and got a Samsung Captivate. He has since rooted the phone and has been using it for the past 6 months. He is happy he made the switch. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #42 of 42

Quote:
I'll tell you what --- the upcoming iPad 2 will have an SD slot.  If they make the iPhone 5 with an SD slot and an optical digital output, it would be the perfect portable device for Head-Fiers.  I use my iPod Touch 3g as an iPeng remote for my Transporter.

SD slot on the iPad 2, I could see....but I highly doubt you'd see it on an iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back