Feature suggestions for X7 flagship DAP
Aug 4, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #61 of 68
  So this is supposed to be a "portable high definition audiophile player", right?
My requirement for such thing would be:-
1. Be portable (slightly large is fine. ideally, X5 was as big as I want it though...)
2. Be high definition... or sound good and natural
3. Be able to drive portable headphones (after all, driving full size shouldn't really be necessary on the go... should it? If you are dedicated enough that you think a good full size is warranted for the sake of better sound, you should be able to add a better amp for the same reason.)
4. Be decent capacity, or be able to expand it with options of format like SD card and microSD card etc. after all, transferring 64 or 128GB of data over to microSD sucks.
5. Be stable
6. Be flexible (ease of navigation, ease of playback, customisable scroll, playback options, file organisation options...)
7. don't add useless features for the sake of it. If you want convenience, don't buy an audiophile player. You buy an audiophile player because you want good sound.
8. Have decent battery life. Ideally 20 hours playback to last me some of the longest flights

I agree with all you said here, but I would add to sounding good and natural to sound fantastic, the best sound of any dap and to Heck with the complications. I do like touch screens though. Why do so many Head-fiers not like them?

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #62 of 68
If there is wifi and Bluetooth, then just add a GSM/3G chip and a nano-sim slot and I'll get rid of my phone :wink:
I understand the need for wifi (which takes battery life but not so much place) but not for Bluetooth. What would we use Bluetooth for?

To go back on the power debate. I agree that I'd like a powerful amp part capable of driving big headphones.

My X5 has trouble driving correctly some of the headphones I use and it has to be hooked to a portable amp, making it a huge mess in my bag. If the X7 was
Capable of driving my headphones without an amp, it would give me a valid reason to buy it.

Other point I support strongly: make it hackable, rooted by default and opensource. :wink:

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #63 of 68

I agree with all you said here, but I would add to sounding good and natural to sound fantastic, the best sound of any dap and to Heck with the complications. I do like touch screens though. Why do so many Head-fiers not like them?

I for one, have very good reasons for not wanting a touchscreen.  Hell! I can't even do my own banking for the damned things.  That's why.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #64 of 68

I for one, have very good reasons for not wanting a touchscreen.  Hell! I can't even do my own banking for the damned things.  That's why.

Yes, but maybe it was just the particular device you had. Also, can you explain more the particular problems you had? I myself have had good experiences with touchscreens, particuarly, the Samsung Galaxy 3.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #65 of 68

Yes, but maybe it was just the particular device you had. Also, can you explain more the particular problems you had? I myself have had good experiences with touchscreens, particuarly, the Samsung Galaxy 3.

Sorry, I'm just tilting at windmills.  I liked FiiO because the x5 has regular buttons as well as a good sound and expandible memory.  I'm physically unable to use touchscreens for visual reasons.
I know the world doesn't revolve around blind guys, but if the X7 is going to have improved features, I'd like to be able to use them.  Don't hate touch screens, but I find them an unnecessary inconvenience.
Kevin

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #66 of 68

Sorry, I'm just tilting at windmills.  I liked FiiO because the x5 has regular buttons as well as a good sound and expandible memory.  I'm physically unable to use touchscreens for visual reasons.
I know the world doesn't revolve around blind guys, but if the X7 is going to have improved features, I'd like to be able to use them.  Don't hate touch screens, but I find them an unnecessary inconvenience.
Kevin

Actually, my son was showing me some of the voice commands of Android.  What if one of those tiny mics could be cleverly stuck into the case.  I might be able to give commands and hear a voice response: unless that only happens on Android phones.  Any comments?
Kevin

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #67 of 68
My dream DAP should have:
1. Balanced output, trough a normal type of socket (i.e. iriver's 2,5mm jack for balaced is a terrible joke).
2. Very good sound chip like PCM1794 or ES9018S, but there is no need for 2 those chips - battery life i crucial. 
3. Support for built-in chip soft filters
4. DSD, APE, MSQ support
5. Coaxial output
6. Full Line output (without amp section)
7. Very low internal jitter
8. Hardware clipping control (like ES9018S built-in filters)
9. Quite powerful AMP section, the best would be like in E12DIY based on BUF634 and AD8620. This is extremely good sounding piece of gear :)
10. Size like an E12 
11. Everything else like in X5 :) i.e.(microSD card socket (2 sockets like in X5) and XMOS chip as a USB receiver (as it is in X5))

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back