Feature suggestions for X7 flagship DAP
May 10, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #46 of 68
WiFi is useless, we are talking about pocketable portable device not home server here. You want high capacity, there is an option like mSATA but James insists not seeing it.

May 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #47 of 68
If the thing becomes too feature heavy you're better off making an iphone6/htc one m8 dock. :p
Like that failed v-moda verza dock - but you know, better and cheaper. :)

May 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #48 of 68
I think I pretty much give up on X7.. All those wifi and Bluetooth thing.. What, are you trying to make a iRiver dap? We want a legendary flagship dap, not a fancy toy with tons of useless features..

May 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #50 of 68
It doesn't help I know, so I am looking at other places.

Well Android is a good choice, if you keep it clean and functioning good. It is also an open source project so completely fine. However I don't agree on wifi and Bluetooth functions on a flagship killer dap. That's not my style and how I see my dap, how I use my dap. If people demand it and James puts it, fine, they would be happy with it, I won't be. Is it the end of the world? Hell no, there are other daps out there.

If I am not mistaking DX50/90 is based on Android too but they do play music only, not going to wifi or Bluetooth. Which is a what a dap supposed to do.

If I wanted a wifi Bluetooth device, I would get a smartphone or tablet...

May 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #51 of 68
  It doesn't help I know, so I am looking at other places.

Well Android is a good choice, if you keep it clean and functioning good. It is also an open source project so completely fine. However I don't agree on wifi and Bluetooth functions on a flagship killer dap. That's not my style and how I see my dap, how I use my dap. If people demand it and James puts it, fine, they would be happy with it, I won't be. Is it the end of the world? Hell no, there are other daps out there.

If I am not mistaking DX50/90 is based on Android too but they do play music only, not going to wifi or Bluetooth. Which is a what a dap supposed to do.

If I wanted a wifi Bluetooth device, I would get a smartphone or tablet...

I don't care about wifi or bluetooth either but just hope that the functionality can be easily shut off in the UI so as not to affect the battery life for those of us that do not use them. Then the only downside is the development resources removed from improving sound quality or perfecting the other UI elements.

May 14, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #52 of 68
We will see I guess, but if it is the path James chose to go, I lost big part of my hope. I thought he would focus on the SQ, SS and critical features like capacity, battery life, connectivity options and balanced outputs.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #55 of 68
Bluetooth would seem to be anathema to the concept of high-end audio, and Wi-fi is about as necessary as **** on a bull, while threatening to use up precious battery life.

A similar comment applies to the poster who on one of these X7 feature threads wanted to be able to stream internet audio feeds via Wi-fi to the player.  Excuse me - why would you want really low-res lossy-encoded audio streams to be played back through a high-end DAP?  Isn't that what we have our cell phone for?

So put me, too, in the 'minimalist' camp.  Give me a great music player with long battery life, and leave the Wi-fi, Bluetooth, big screen, and all the other stuff to my phone or tablet or whatever else that we all have already.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #56 of 68
1) 20-Band EQ adjustment with; 

2) ability to save multiple custom curves, but also; 

3) naming those custom curves for later retrieval. 

Main reason is because I can easily foresee using it as my main stereo input as well as my vehicle. Different curves for different environments of listening.

Reading some of the latest posts, I haven't had good Bluetooth experiences with any electronic products. Make an RF output available as an accessory add-on. Much like an RF Flash Unit for a high-end DSLR. Analog volume control. I'm mixed on this one. However, this would add to the overall size of the X7, potentially.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #57 of 68
I rlike the X5 for the absence of a touchscreen and the use of proper buttons.  I don't mind the scrollwheel.  That's why I am only interested in fiio as a company who accidently (maybe) made products for people with visual dificulties.
I aggree that since the x7 is meant  for hi-rez listening,I don't see the use in wifi or bluetooth.  Don't use low-bit sources for pleasure listening.  If James feels the need for a touchscreen,  I hope he won't strip away the button functionality and stick it into a touch format.
One more thing:  I wouldn't mind using some rockbox features like audible response along with the visual.
Thanks Fiio
Kevin

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #58 of 68
So this is supposed to be a "portable high definition audiophile player", right?
My requirement for such thing would be:-
1. Be portable (slightly large is fine. ideally, X5 was as big as I want it though...)
2. Be high definition... or sound good and natural
3. Be able to drive portable headphones (after all, driving full size shouldn't really be necessary on the go... should it? If you are dedicated enough that you think a good full size is warranted for the sake of better sound, you should be able to add a better amp for the same reason.)
4. Be decent capacity, or be able to expand it with options of format like SD card and microSD card etc. after all, transferring 64 or 128GB of data over to microSD sucks.
5. Be stable
6. Be flexible (ease of navigation, ease of playback, customisable scroll, playback options, file organisation options...)
7. don't add useless features for the sake of it. If you want convenience, don't buy an audiophile player. You buy an audiophile player because you want good sound.
8. Have decent battery life. Ideally 20 hours playback to last me some of the longest flights

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #59 of 68
  Bluetooth would seem to be anathema to the concept of high-end audio, and Wi-fi is about as necessary as **** on a bull, while threatening to use up precious battery life.

A similar comment applies to the poster who on one of these X7 feature threads wanted to be able to stream internet audio feeds via Wi-fi to the player.  Excuse me - why would you want really low-res lossy-encoded audio streams to be played back through a high-end DAP?  Isn't that what we have our cell phone for?

So put me, too, in the 'minimalist' camp.  Give me a great music player with long battery life, and leave the Wi-fi, Bluetooth, big screen, and all the other stuff to my phone or tablet or whatever else that we all have already.

+1 on that.  I hope they continue to stay away from touchscreen.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #60 of 68
The X7 I'd like to see would have to have SQ and build quality on par with the AK240... or better even, that's #1! I like the idea of an Msata drive and touch screen as long as it's fully responsive. It would also be nice if it implemented dual dacs. If it doesn't break new ground in sound quality, I'm not interested b/c that should be number one IMHO. I'd rather have that than adding unnecessary doodads.
I would love to stay with Fiio's company b/c they are the only ones out there that respond to their customers (along with Noble), but SQ's gotta be there, or else I'd start looking for an AK240 beater at a much more reasonable price, as I'm sure some will appear and maybe sooner than we think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back