Favrite price promotion for Hisound’s upcoming new Nova player
Mar 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #646 of 693
Successfully upgraded, found it far too complicated

but may now be able to help others if stuck upgrading their N3

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #647 of 693

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #649 of 693
Is there anyway to reset the N3? My N3 is stucked at Connect USB... Cant power off or anything. 

Edit: I done a reset on my N3 but whenever i try to run the update tool, i get "loading config file failed!"

I have already updated the driver for the N3 on my PC. 

How do I go about to update the firmware? 

Worst update process ever.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #651 of 693
Quote:
Would anyone mind posting upgrade instructions (N3) in sensible English?
I'm not averse to diving into the windows device manager or using extra bits of software if only I can be sure I'm doing it right...

On about my 10th attempt I got this to work

First get comfy, a cup of tea and take a deep breath
download the tools rar from drobox, extract all files to somewhere you can easily find on your c:drive, it created a new folder all by itself for me
rename all the folders and subfolders to english - i used nova , nova1 etc

press update firmware on N3
connect the n3 to your computer

launch the hisoundtool.exe (this is one of the files you extract earlier,)  at first the software will be in chinese, but wait it will turn to english , (nb there are two subfolders containing this, one I found was in English)
in the top field browse for the folder you created it, click on it and press ok

then you should see the file extract and run in front of you.

Windows might get upset about the file but tell it to stop being so fussy.

my n3 went blank for about 10 seconds, and then went back to showing the "usb connected" screen.

Unplug from computer and you should be done

If this goes wrong you can always reset it with a pin

will post a big review this week, but for now the Flat User Eq (when loud enough, which it rarely is) is sublime.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #652 of 693
Hey folks, I could get around to renaming all the folders into English, then create a new set of zip files based on these renamed-in-English folders... then re-upload to dropbox.

Edit: N1 and N3 firmware upgrade 2013-03-09 links on dropbox. Folder names have been renamed into English.

N1:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/Hisound_N1_Firmware_Upgrade_Instructions.docx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/Hisound-NOVA-H281-XZ1236-20130309-N1_Firmware_Upgrade_Toolbox.zip

N3:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/Hisound_N3_Firmware_Upgrade_Instructions.docx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/NOVA-H281-XZ1236-20130309-N3_Firmware_Upgrade_Toolbox.zip

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #653 of 693
to anyone upgrading the n1;

if you screen goes blurry(practically unseeable) after the update dont worry. shut the player down and power it up again. this will make sure you are currently at the main menu with music highlighted. press enter as many times as needed until music starts then just wait for the back light to time out. once it has touch the panel and it will be fixed. =)

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #654 of 693
N3 update is disappointing imo....

The noise on screen light up had improve, but it isn't totally removed.

folder still sort by "date" instead of name, on some folder it arrange by name instead of track number... there are just no way to enjoy my my music...

I give up, will put mine up for sale

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #655 of 693
Jack replied to me and provided me an English version of directions for the updating the N1 player as well as the firmware. I created another thread for that. I'll post the link below. Once he also give mes the N3 directions I'll post it accordingly. I'm sure its the same as the N1 however so you can just use the update directions in correlation with the N3 firmware available :).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656014/hisound-nova-player-firmwares-update-directions

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #656 of 693
Thanks KT66, I managed to get it done in the end, though I have to say I haven't noticed any improvements (apart from extra volume). The biggest probs - folder ordering / screwed up FLAC playback - are still there.

I'm with Lostless on this - will prob sell mine.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #657 of 693
I understand for newer members not accustomed to some quirks associated with Chinese DAPs to feel that way. File order issues are common to many even hi end Eastern players. Doesn't make it any better for those that aren't interested in dealing but generally accepted for the performance. The FLAC bug is clearly better with the new FW but not resolved  It may eventually get sorted but it's still a VG MP3 and .wav player as is. I have FLAC on mine and use it without concern. I think any other background noises are now acceptable. I will probably sell mine at some point as well but not because I don't like it. I think it's VG. I just wont use it much with my Studio around and simply got it for a listen.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back