Favourite engineered album?
Sep 11, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #106 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes it's in the subtle details.

For this I use my remaster of Frank Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers. It sounds great on any system. On a bad system, Sinatra's voice sounds dry and fantastic.

On a truly great system or pair of headphones, you can hear Sinatra's mouth open before he speaks, you can hear a little bit of natural reverb from Capitols recording studio and you can hear all types of little nuances.

Is that the gold disc, LFF?

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #108 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine

The amount of time and effort (not to mention money) that went solely into the sound engineering of this album is readily apparent in the perfectly textured end result.

NICE
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #110 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the gold disc, LFF?

No. The gold disc sucks. For that matter - all the CD's suck. This is a remaster I made from a mint west coast 1st pressing mono gray label vinyl. Sounds amazing.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #111 of 114
Quote:

Sometimes it's in the subtle details.

For this I use my remaster of Frank Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers. It sounds great on any system. On a bad system, Sinatra's voice sounds dry and fantastic.

On a truly great system or pair of headphones, you can hear Sinatra's mouth open before he speaks, you can hear a little bit of natural reverb from Capitols recording studio and you can hear all types of little nuances.

Quote:

No. The gold disc sucks. For that matter - all the CD's suck. This is a remaster I made from a mint west coast 1st pressing mono gray label vinyl. Sounds amazing.

Sounds great, Shame we can't get to hear it.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #112 of 114
I'll reinvigorate this thread with my favorite:

Joe Satriani - Joe Satriani

It is a huge departure from all of his other albums, and nearly everything was recorded live, where his prior (and subsequent) efforts have all been carefully arranged. I love the organic feel of this album and the space each of the players gets. I think his albums lost some luster when he started self-recording, but this one and The Extremist just shine.

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #113 of 114
I created this thread over 16.5 years ago, and I still come back to many of these suggestions, all these years later. Big thanks to the Head-Fiers of old for some great suggestions. So, let's keep it going in 2023! :ksc75smile:

I'll start us back up with a new suggestion: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (engineered by Kenneth Douglas Caillat). This one totally caught me off guard. I downloaded this album in Apple Lossless and gave it a spin with some Westone Mach 80s (w/ iFi GoPod) and was totally blown away by the quality of the recording. I grew up with this album as a kid, but haven't given it much critical listening time since getting into our beloved hobby in my 20s. I was amazed at how much effort and attention to detail was seemingly paid to the recording of this album. Instruments and vocals are full-sounding and extremely well-separated, and you can hear the finest details of the recording (a tiny breath between words or faint vocal tremble, or slow-decaying cymbal) with incredible clarity, without any of the noise, distortion, fuzz, and static-y artifacts that you might expect from a recording of the time. If you haven't given it a spin lately, I highly recommend you do something about that.

So, what about you? What are some of your picks and suggestions for best engineered/mastered albums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back