Favourite book read this year
Oct 30, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although you say that you don't like most fantasy, A Song of Ice and Fire series just has to be recommended. It has a brilliant story with unpredictable twists, realistic characters, and dynamic cast - the author isn't afraid to kill off major characters. The first book is A Game of Thrones.

x2 on this one, just love the straight forward-no bull**** way of telling the story, and it's not very heavy fantasy either.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #33 of 43
Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold easily became one of the most enjoyable books I've read yet. I like the author's sense of witty humor and it reminded me of a less depressed Ender's Game (another great book though not as funny). If you give it a try, you can msg me if you want to talk about it
biggrin.gif
I haven't met many people who have heard of it though the author won several awards for her Miles Vorkosigan books.

Also if you have some favorite books, what are some of them? It would help me make some better recommendations.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #34 of 43
HarryPotterSorcerersStoneBook.jpg
HarryPotterChamberofSecretsUSABook.jpg
HarryPotterPrisonerofAzkabanUSABook.jpg
HarryPotterGobletofFireUSABook.jpg
HarryPotterOrderofthePhoenixUSABook.jpg
HarryPotterHalfBloodPrinceUSABook.jpg

I am nearly finished with Book 6. I can't wait to read Book 7.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #35 of 43
jimmyl930, hoppergrass, I'm a hundred or so pages into going postal and really enjoying it! Thanks for the recommendation. When I flipped to the bibliography I saw 30 or 40 titles in the discworld series. Was that just my eyes playing tricks on me? What comes next?

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #37 of 43
After Dark- Haruki murakami.

To me he is one of the best authors ever. Though I believe his earlier works are better, After Dark is the one that came out this year, which is still really awesome.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you like terry pratchett, i would recommend the thief of time, imho one of the funniest in discworld series, but that's just my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

So is there an order to the books? I'll check out thief of time, I'm really enjoying Pratchett's style.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoiflobees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After Dark- Haruki murakami.

To me he is one of the best authors ever. Though I believe his earlier works are better, After Dark is the one that came out this year, which is still really awesome.

agreed.
i read Kafka on the Shore earlier this year, and have a copy of After Dark on the night table. I've read nearly everything he's written, and he has ensconced himself as my favorite living writer today [rest in peace, kurt vonnegut].

Nov 25, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #42 of 43
The Divine Comedy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back