Favourite albums of the last couple months
Apr 21, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #31 of 60
Right now I can't stop listening to "Leave Your Sleep" by Natalie Merchant. It's a huge departure from the genre of music i typically listen to, being a huge TV On The Radio fan, and music of the such.

A friend asked me to describe it, and what I came up with actually suprised me, as I stated: "It has a lushly visceral effect on me. It's just fun, in a "reflective, look back" type of way. It reminds me of my first candy apple at the fair. It smells like childhood should be."

I'm not normally that "mushy", but this record just seems to capture me.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #32 of 60
I've been repeatedly spinning "Black Foliage" by the Olivia Tremor Control. Wow. It's a hell of an album.

But it's not that accessible. One of the band members said it takes around 50 listens to sink in. He's about right.

However, I'd recommend trying out their more accessible "Dusk at Cubist Castle" first. Let that one burn a few new neural pathways for a couple of months (I've obsessed over it for a couple of years) and then try "Black Foliage."

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #34 of 60
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Roky Erikson w/ Okkervil River - True Love Cast Out All Evil
Sebastien Tellier - Sessions
Mount Eerie - Wind's Poem
Sonic Youth - EVOL
Otis Redding - Truth
Songs: Ohia - Didn't It Rain
J Dilla - Donuts
...so much more, but these have been bordering on overplayed lately...

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #35 of 60
For some reason, the Moulin Rouge album keeps catching my ears interest.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #36 of 60
Jacques Louissier Trio - Satie: Gymnopedies and Gnossienes, has been played at home on a regular basis over the last couple of years. Haunting and timeless melodies arranged and played as tastefully as you can possibly imagine.

The new Dillinger Escape Plan album - Option Paralysis, is on constant rotation in the car. I like to keep things balanced; eardrum torture to counter the sheer beauty of life at home.

Boduf Songs is never far away, especially How Shadows Chase the Balance, quietly dark, low-key black folk. I can hear these songs as epic Black Metal, but rendered even more effective and devastating by their subtle delivery. Matt Sweet is a humble genius imo.

The Necks are always on the program. These guys are the best.ever.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #38 of 60
Grace (Legacy Edition) Jeff Buckley

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been repeatedly spinning "Black Foliage" by the Olivia Tremor Control. Wow. It's a hell of an album.

But it's not that accessible. One of the band members said it takes around 50 listens to sink in. He's about right.

However, I'd recommend trying out their more accessible "Dusk at Cubist Castle" first. Let that one burn a few new neural pathways for a couple of months (I've obsessed over it for a couple of years) and then try "Black Foliage."

Thanks for the recommendation! I've been sampling these over at Amazon and am definitely intrigued. Will probably follow your suggestion and start with "Dusk..." first.
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #40 of 60
MGMT: "Congratulations"
Kim Richey: "Wreck your wheels"

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #42 of 60
i dunno if you mean the ones we've been enjoying the last several months, or the ones that we enjoy that have come out in the last several months lol

that have come out recently: Blue Sky Noise - Circa Survive, Fleshgod Apocalypse - New EP, Soreption - Deterioration of Minds

That i have been rocking the most: Swoon - Silversun Pickups, Wrath - Lamb of God, Fortress - Protest the Hero, The Fame(Monster) - Lady Gaga

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #43 of 60
I've been listening to a lot of indie rock lately:
Beach House- Teen Dream
Broken Bells- Broken Bells
I'm Not A Pilot- I'm Not A Pilot
Neutral Milk Hotel- In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't stop listening to .... Nick Drake's Pink Moon.

Pink Moon is a fantastic album. Every single song is gold and none of them outstay their welcome.

I'm currently listening to The Sacred Garland by The Gonzaga Band. It's a collection of early Baroque tunes, by Montverdi et al. Very tasteful small ensemble blend of solo voice and period instruments. Really beautiful.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #45 of 60
I second the props to Pink Moon. I found Nick Drake thanks to Morning Becomes Eclectic, and enjoy his album Five Leaves Left even more.

My current favorites by far are:
Number 1 fave of entire year - Dark Night of the Soul by Danger Mouse and Sparkelhorse. No official release yet due to legal dispute, but should be legally available this summer.

#2 is Broken Bells
00-broken-bells-the-high-road-2010.jpeg

#3, but mostly for the strong title track - Charlotte Gainsbour IRM
covercharlottegainsbour.jpg

#4, also liked by others above - Teen Dream by Beach House.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back