"Favorite" vs. "Best" Albums
Jul 30, 2007 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Ryzalis

New Head-Fier
This is a topic that has been bothering me lately. Do you believe that there is any difference between your favorite albums and albums that you consider to be the best out of every album you've heard? For example, does it make sense to say: "My Arms, Your Hearse is my favorite Opeth album, but Still Life is their best"?

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 25
It could mean the best is the most technically and artistically impressive but your favorite is the most emotionally moving or just more enjoyable to you

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 25
Sometimes you like music because it reminds you of a pleasant memory. Also everyone's taste is subjective. My favourite Opeth album is Morningrise because it's so weird and all over the place, like a strange adventure. It's probably not their best album for most people, but it's the one I enjoy the most. This is why I don't like 'Classic' album lists.

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 25
This definitely makes sense. As someone suggested, many times our favorite album by an artist is our favorite for personal reasons, not necessarily for musical or technical merit.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 25
People confuse "like"/"love" and "good"/"great" an insane amount around here.
Differences between "favorite" and "best" are similar.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 25
Nice to see you using Opeth as your example, them being my favorite band. But yes, favorite versus best can most definately be different.

My favorite album is Blackwater Park by Opeth. Is it the best album ever? If you go and google various websites about "best" albums, you will see that with so much music history, it's hard to take more current albums and rate them better then classics that have stood the test of time. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon gets mentioned many times as the "best". Beatles albums, The Clash, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Dorrs. The list could go on forever.

Of course to my personal taste I would argue Blackwater Park to be the best ever. I'll just say it's MY best ever.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 25
Well my favorite Tool album is Aenima because it's connected with great times in my life. Although I feel their best album is Lateralus because artistically (music is an art) it's amazing. So yes I'd say there's a difference.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 25
My definition of "best": the album that I would most strongly recommend to other people interested in the artist/genre; "favorite": the album that brings me the most satisfaction. In this sense, my favorite album is not necessary the "best" -- very often I have a taste for some "beautiful flaws" that I don't think others will share.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 25
oh, I have tons of these..

Iron Maiden:
Best: Number of the Beast
Favorite: Piece of Mind

Replacements:
Best: Let It Be
Favorite: Tim

R.E.M.
Favorite: Document
Best: probably not Document on most lists :wink:

The Clash
Best: London Calling
Favorite: Sandinista

The Flaming Lips:
Best: The Soft Bulletin
Favorite: Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

Pink Floyd:
Best: DSOTM
Favorite: The Wall

Slayer:
Best: Reign in Blood
Favorite: South of Heaven

now, for some bands I won't budge:

Husker Du:
Best: New Day Rising
Favorite: New Day Rising

Metallica:
Best: Master of Puppets
Favorite: Master of Puppets

Sonic Youth
Best: Sister (or Evol)
Favorite: Sister (or Evol)

fun game.

-jar

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceOfWands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**** , doing this with rush is impossible.

Isn't it pretty much the concensus that MOVING PICTURES is the "best" Rush album?

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 25
following FalconP's definition:
Dream Theater
Best: Images and Words/ Train of Thought(for metalheads), Favorite: Awake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back