Favorite Thelonius Monk album?
May 12, 2008 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cubson

New Head-Fier
I've been on a Jazz tip lately and I'm thinking of buying some Monk and wondering what are some of your favorite albums.

Well, what are they?
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Monk's Music or Brilliant Corners are both beyond great, but most of Monk's pre-Columbia albums are. After that the quality drops a little - the same superb material, but not quite as freshly played.

May 12, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Easy.

Thelonious In Action, and Misterioso.

These two albums were recorded live at the Five Spot in '58. The personnel: Monk, Johnny Griffin, Ahmed Abdul-Malik and Roy Haynes.

I'm not feeling up to describing what makes these special. They're very dynamic and exciting, there's a cohesiveness to the ensemble, and it just feels "right".

May 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 15
This one is hard to decide on for sure, but probably misterioso because it has my favorite version of In Walked Bud.

May 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 15
I really dig that single disc Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane, because it has a few different looks at Monk: the quartet with Trane, a great sextet reading of "Epistrophy" and his solo-piano version of "Functional."

Probably the best place to start, though, is the two volumes of Genius Of Modern Music on Blue Note.

May 12, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 15
i LOVE Monk. in fact, my cat is named after him.

i think his first release for Columbia, Monk's Dream is my favorite. the combo doesn't have the most renowned players ever, but they're all accomplished and, most importantly, they really get Monk's syncopated style and rhythmic idiosyncracies... possibly more than any other group he put together. the playing is superb from top to bottom.

other albums of his i dig: Brilliant Corners, Monk's Music, and Alone in San Francisco (fantastic solo album).

i also have a soft spot in my heart for Monk's Dream, which is an album of big band arrangements for some of his classic numbers. it's not very well-regarded, but it's fun to listen to.

May 13, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 15
Jazz historians / critics /musicians ...the major consensus would be:
1- Brilliant Corners
2- Monk's Music

If you like that stuff, then work into the other Riverside albums as well as his Columbia recordings (for example, "Live At the It Club")

If you just want to hear his compositions...beautifully played...
check out: Walter Davis Jr...In Walked Thelonious

ENJOY!

May 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaduffy007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jazz historians / critics /musicians ...the major consensus would be:
1- Brilliant Corners
2- Monk's Music

If you like that stuff, then work into the other Riverside albums as well as his Columbia recordings (for example, "Live At the It Club")

If you just want to hear his compositions...beautifully played...
check out: Walter Davis Jr...In Walked Thelonious

ENJOY!

Monk recorded his best work with Riverside Records and Brilliant Corners/Monk's Music are the best places to start.I don't have it but the box set from this company has to be good. Big Band And Quartet In Concert is his very best Columbia recording and beyond this Monk's Dream and Straight,No Chaser are good choices for those who want to explore a little.

May 13, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monk recorded his best work with Riverside Records and Brilliant Corners/Monk's Music are the best places to start.I don't have it but the box set from this company has to be good. Big Band And Quartet In Concert is his very best Columbia recording and beyond this Monk's Dream and Straight,No Chaser are good choices for those who want to explore a little.

nahh. Monk's Dream beats Big Band and Quartet for his Columbia releases.

tongue.gif

May 13, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monk recorded his best work with Riverside Records and Brilliant Corners/Monk's Music are the best places to start.

I dunno…that Blue Note stuff is awfully strong. And the Blue Notes contain the (no pun intended) blueprint versions of so many compositions Monk revisited for the rest of his career in different lineups. Of course, these things are always subjective.

May 14, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 15
I'd start with 'Straight, No Chaser" and if you like that go to "Live at the IT Club" or his work with Coltrane on Riverside Recordings as others have mentioned.

It's all good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back