Favorite streaming platform for highest quality sound?
Aug 25, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 34
I use tidal. Pretty good catalog, but their algorithm for suggesting new music blows compared to Spotify. That, and occasionally artists disappear from their catalog. I would probably use Amazon or Qobuz except I’ve got a big library in Tidal. I like that there’s lots of options for streaming to a DAC.
You can use Soundiiz to move your libraries. The free tier has some limitations, but you can pay only one month and do it in a matter of minutes, and then cancela the subscription. They cover a lot of streaming services.
I used it to go from tidal to qobuz and all went well.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #17 of 34
You can use Soundiiz to move your libraries. The free tier has some limitations, but you can pay only one month and do it in a matter of minutes, and then cancela the subscription. They cover a lot of streaming services.
I used it to go from tidal to qobuz and all went well.
Thanks! I’ll try it out

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 34
I’m currently using my iPhone 13 Pro Max as my music player, traditionally using Apple Music (lossless and HiRes Lossless). I have recently bought a Fiio Q3 amplifier and using a free trial of Qobuz. IEM’s are Dunu Titan S with 4.4mm Balanced cable.

I have noticed that playing the same album (even CD quality) on Qobuz the music sounds brighter, louder and more spacious. On AM the sounds seems veiled as though there is a cloth over my ears and I need to turn the volume up slightly.

I don’t understand the science of music technology, but is this normal? Surely Apple Hi Res Lossless should sound the same as CD quality on Qobuz. Is this just the normal benefit of moving over to a proper HIRes supplier?

I have noticed that even my apple AirPods (2nd generation) sound better on Qobuz rather than AM

Can anybody comment or advise?

Aug 25, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 34
I’m using Apple Music lossless. It’s fine. The quality is good but Apple’s interface is hideous. It’s virtually impossible to discover anything they don’t want you to. The whole Apple Music app needs a serious re-evaluation from the ground up.

Aug 25, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #20 of 34
I’m using Apple Music lossless. It’s fine. The quality is good but Apple’s interface is hideous. It’s virtually impossible to discover anything they don’t want you to. The whole Apple Music app needs a serious re-evaluation from the ground up.
It’s certainly not great compared to some of the newer streaming services. My biggest gripe though is that the music sounds closed in and veiled compared to Qobuz.

Even listening via the Fiio Q3 into balanced output the 24/48 output on AM sounds completely different to the equivalent on Qobuz. Even my air pods sound better via Bluetooth on Qobuz.

I suppose you pay your money and take your choice……for me for the time being at least that will be Qobuz.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #21 of 34
Qobuz is where it's at. Plenty of hi-res content, and it integrates nicely into Roon. Has a download store for those of us who like to own our music too.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #22 of 34
I’m currently using my iPhone 13 Pro Max as my music player, traditionally using Apple Music (lossless and HiRes Lossless). I have recently bought a Fiio Q3 amplifier and using a free trial of Qobuz. IEM’s are Dunu Titan S with 4.4mm Balanced cable.

I have noticed that playing the same album (even CD quality) on Qobuz the music sounds brighter, louder and more spacious. On AM the sounds seems veiled as though there is a cloth over my ears and I need to turn the volume up slightly.

I don’t understand the science of music technology, but is this normal? Surely Apple Hi Res Lossless should sound the same as CD quality on Qobuz. Is this just the normal benefit of moving over to a proper HIRes supplier?

I have noticed that even my apple AirPods (2nd generation) sound better on Qobuz rather than AM

Can anybody comment or advise?
Try going to settings and make sure sound check is off and the EQ is off. (Sound check had me stumped for a while as it was apparently off on my iPad and on on my iPhone 13pro max, couldn’t figure out why my iPad sounded so much better). Also make sure atmos is off not automatic and make sure lossless is turned on and set up for high res lossless (which I’m sure you know)

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 34
Qobuz first, and then Tidal if the album isn’t on Qobuz. Tidal has more 16/44 albums, but Qobuz has more hi-res albums. I use both with Roon, which also has my local files.

If you have Qobuz, Tidal and Roon, you don’t need anything else

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #24 of 34
I use mostly Spotify and although I tried and liked Tidal and Qobuz better, I failed to make the jump because of convenience. I've got Spotify's family plan and unless I can transfer everyone's playlists to a new platform, I will be in trouble. After a few good years of using Spotify there is a lot of material to migrate. Last I checked, the process to export and import playlists to a different platform seemed complicated. I can only hope Spotify will start their own lossless service but they don't seem very motivated.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 34
Tidal or Quobuz curated through Roon. :gs1000smile:

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #26 of 34
Tidal through Audirvana 3.2.20 sounds really good. Audirvana opens up the soundstage in comparison to the Tidal app even when Tidal app is given direct control of the DAC. Very tempted to go Qobuz.

Sep 14, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #27 of 34
I read Audiophile Style and What's Best forums daily. I don't use Tidal or Qobuz, but it's pretty clear from these high end forums and others on the 'net that Qobuz sounds better than Tidal. It's also clear that locally stored files sound better than internet streaming. That is certainly what I found with a three-month Amazon Unlimited subscription. Files from my NAS had easily superior sound quality.

I subscribe to YouTube Music. It provides 256 AAC, which sounds better than the 320 MP3 from Amazon Music. (YouTube without a subscription is only 128kbps). I don't often listen to YTM through my main audio system, where I play local files exclusively. I listen to YTM on my desktop system and my "whole house" Chromecast Audio system, where highest fidelity is not needed and convenience is welcome.

I love YouTube Music for the videos, which no other service offers. I don't much care for MTV-style videos, but watching a band perform live is something else. I find I'm not nearly as fussy about sound quality when I'm watching a video. Nevertheless, sound from my TV is more than acceptable, because of the system I use it with:
TP-Link router with Zero-Zone LPS, Silent Angel N8 with iPower2, EtherREGEN A-side with iPower X, Vizio 65" TV, via Toslink to iFi iPurifier2 SPDIF and exaSound e32 Mk II DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #28 of 34
I just switched over to Qobuz from Tidal. The app is a bit buggy but the SQ from Qobuz makes up for it.

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #30 of 34
Most of the times digital masters services like Qobuz are using are of a better quality than what was stamped on CDs, at least I've never experienced worse quality than my local collection of rips, more than often better one, especially if it's high res.
But not all services are equal and can do true lossless and bit-perfect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back