Favorite Soundtracks
Feb 15, 2010 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133

jazznap

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not a big fan of soundtracks since they are often just a compilation of songs that may or may not go together, but occasionally some just strike a chord. What are some of your favs?

A few of mine include:

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Big Time
The Crow
Repo Man

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 133
Trilogies always seem to have the best soundtracks. The good trilogies at least.

Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings
John Williams's Star Wars (both new and original, but mostly the original)
Hans Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean

Also, anything by Joe Hisaishi. More specifically Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Totoro.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 133
Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 133
I don't buy many film soundtracks for the sole reason that they don't often work without the visuals they're composed for, but I find these work almost as well on their own and they're also very well-done thematically:

Black Hawk Down
The Dark Knight
The Village

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 133
Since I own so many, I'll just list the recent ones:

The Dark Knight Soundtrack (Zimmer+James Newton Howard) YouTube - The Dark Knight OST 2 I'm Not A Hero
Transformers (1, not 2, Steve Jablonsky)
Angels and Demons (Zimmer)
Star Trek (Michael Giacchino)
YouTube - Star Trek XI - Enterprising Young Men

One of my particular favorites, is the Crimson Tide soundtrack (Zimmer).
YouTube - Hans Zimmer:"Crimson Tide"(1995)-Main Theme

I also collect trailer music, example:
YouTube - Guardians At The Gate - audiomachine: Platinum Series III:Eterna (New "Avatar" Trailer)

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 133
A "big up" for Repo Man. Great movie, great punk/new wave OST.

My fave is the OST from an English film, ca 1977, called That Summer. I've never seen the movie, and Allmusic.com doesn't even list the OST, although Allmovie.com does have a **brief**, as in one paragraph, review of the movie.

That aside, it's an absolutely stunning overview of punk/new wave of the period. Undertones, Patti Smith, Mink Deville, Boomtown Rats, etc.

Good luck finding it. I've got a vinyl copy that I bought during my sophomore year of college (1979, eek!) I doubt it ever made it to CD.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a vinyl copy that I bought during my sophomore year of college (1979, eek!) I doubt it ever made it to CD.

I'm guessing I'm still going to be on my iPod come soph year, unless the iPad somehow becomes the de facto media player (jk) =0

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing I'm still going to be on my iPod when my soph year comes, unless the iPad somehow becomes the de facto media player (jk) =0

Well, if you are still using your iPod by then, you will probably be considered a luddite. Everyone else will be using their surgically implanted cloud players by then. I suggest you get hip if you are planning to get a date, know what I mean?
atsmile.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you are still using your iPod by then, you will probably be considered a luddite. Everyone else will be using their surgically implanted cloud players by then. I suggest you get hip if you are planning to get a date, know what I mean?
atsmile.gif

Indeed. Screw Augmented Reality, come mind-visual interface.

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 133
Hmmm, off the top of my head....

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
Star Wars: A New Hope
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
UP
Lord of The Rings (Complete Trilogy)
Gladiator
The Dark Knight
Ghostbusters (actual score)
Amadeus
Immortal Beloved
Wall-E
O Brother, Where Art Though?
Prince of Persia (All of them)
Star Trek (new one)
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 133
My favorite by far is Arizona Dream. Made by Emir Kusturica which also did the excellent Underground soundtrack and many more.

All of the songs are incredible but the song Death is among the best music I have heard in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back