Favorite "Sleeper" Album/Band?
Jul 2, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #46 of 55
I've been a longtime fan of the Elephant 6 collective of bands. There are more than six bands, and you can find out about all of them here:

http://www.elephant6.com/

I was pulled in by Elf Power, but have bought albums from most of the artists. There were 2-3 duds, but on the whole, I've loved what the collective has produced. If you like the Beatles and the Beach Boys, and have wondered whatever happened to good pop, you'll find it here. Strong melodies, hooks, good lyrics, it's all here. Also cool is that the bands actually like each other, hang out now and perform with each other.

Jul 2, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #47 of 55
Grandaddy is definitely my favorite unknown band. Too bad they just broke up a couple months ago. The sophtware slump is probably one of the greatest cds I've ever heard. I also really like The Fever and Sparta, but Sparta is getting more into the known bands if you listen to that kind of music.

BTW Muse are not sleepers, they play them on kroq and they have music videos on mtv.

Aug 24, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #51 of 55
Crack the Sky is the most under-rated band I can think of. Try, especially the first self-titled album, Animal Notes, Safety in Numbers and White Music.

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #52 of 55
Murder By Death is one of my favorites that few seem to know about. It's moody rock with guitar, piano and cello. Like The Exorcist But More Breakdancing is probably my favorite among their albums.

Aug 27, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #54 of 55
I definately agree that Okkervil River is incredible and far too few people know of them. I also suggest Regina Spektor (sort of an upbeat Fiona Apple) and Mono (incredible post rock).
Don't know if my two recs. are 'sleepers' but they are definately little known artists (at least to the 'mainstream') that are VERY good.

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #55 of 55
great post guys, I have really expanded my music library. please keep it coming.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back