Favorite Period-Instrument (HIP) Recordings
May 10, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #76 of 103
Here's an alternative which I think I will order instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

518T2FE0P6L._SS500_.jpg

May 10, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's an alternative which I think I will order instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

518T2FE0P6L._SS500_.jpg

Hi Bunnyears,

Thank for reminding me of this. It is a good choice, with plenty of positive reviews. My copy of this will be bought in June when I return to Taiwan.
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #81 of 103
Thanks. It's always good to know quality Naxos albums. All their Weiss recordings by Roberto Barto and Haydn Creation conducted by Andreas Spering are worth MUCH more than the price asked for also IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some really good posts here! I'll limit myself to one set, the Haydn string quartets performed by the Mosaiques Quartet. There are a lot of good recordings of this music out there, but none of them are revelatory in the way this set is. For overall quality, I'd put this set up there with other sets such as the Kondrashin Shostakovich, the Szidon Scriabin, or the Mravinsky Tchaikovsky. While other artists have performed all of this music well, the sets above (to my ear), really "get" the music on a level beyond what most bring to the table. Yes, the Mosaiques' Haydn really is that good.

Yes the Mosaiques' Haydn is great. In part because they take their time with it I suppose?
plainface.gif
More than a decade has elapsed and they haven't touched some of the opuses. Technically speaking Mosaiques' Haydn is not quite 'a set' yet.
frown.gif

May 11, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember listening to Mozart's G minor symphony by Tafelmusik on the radio, would be nice if I can find its album.

61CJ440KYJL._AA240_.jpg

Favorite RV 565

Available at Amazon! It's a new release.

61yVXlv2csL._SS500_.jpg

May 11, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

I have their Opus 64 and I'm looking to get as much as I can. Their Beethoven Opus 18 is also superb.

Their Beethoven is not "a full set" either. So isn't their Boccherini.
frown.gif

The only composer they have done full cycle is Mozart.

May 11, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #87 of 103
Quote:

Available at Amazon! It's a new release.

I heard this in record stores before I left Taiwan. I was glad that I bought Minkowski's version instead. Maybe I was expecting something a bit more extraordinary for "old warhorses" like this pair? BTW, this was released in Euorope and Asia on DHM (Sony-BMG) label.

May 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #88 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard this in record stores before I left Taiwan. I was glad that I bought Minkowski's version instead. Maybe I was expecting something a bit more extraordinary for "old warhorses" like this pair? BTW, this was released in Euorope and Asia on DHM (Sony-BMG) label.

I have the Minkowski too, and I don't think it's as good as the Tafelmusik recording. The Minkowski was available through the BMG music clubs, so at least I didn't spend too much on it. If you haven't bought it yet, save your money and wait for something else a bit better. Moreover, the sound quality is not as good either. While the Jupiter has its moments, the G minor is a dead loss. I know that Minkowski uses small forces, but these performances just lacked the strength that these two symphonies need. I won't go into the idiosyncracies of the interpretation. Suffice to say that for once Mozart wasn't bulletproof. Very disappointing.

5167J0KEN7L._SS500_.jpg

May 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #89 of 103
I have the Minkowski and prefer it to the Tafelmusik
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually it was I who first recommended the Minkowski disc here at headfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back