518Q5XRBDGL._SS500_.jpg

And some Geminiani, too?
eggosmile.gif

May 9, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #63 of 103
Yes, the op.3 .

51NVCXPAT0L._AA240_.jpg

Other recommendations for Geminiani?

bachmotsbe.jpg

This is the only ovpp Bach motets I've listened too. I just wish the quality was better (too many 's' and the contini too subtle in my opinion).

982912.jpg

Is this the tempo on this really too fast?

57314.JPG

This is also a nice Allegri set. The improvise on some soprano passages sometimes become too intense, but all works out quite nicely.

May 9, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #64 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the op.3 .

51NVCXPAT0L._AA240_.jpg

Other recommendations for Geminiani?

I've liked the recording by Chiara Banchini and her Ensemble 415 on zigzag.
These are G's transcriptions of Corelli's illustrous Opus V sonatas, but what
transcriptions! Ditto Charles Avison's "free" adaptions of Domenico Scarlatti.

I have had the Cantus Koeln recording of Bach motets (DHM) for years and
have never felt need for another. The Cantus are in a class of their own
when it comes to German diction also and their Bach should be reference
recordings at least in this regard.

May 9, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #65 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've liked the recording by Chiara Banchini and her Ensemble 415 on zigzag.
These are G's transcriptions of Corelli's illustrous Opus V sonatas, but what
transcriptions! Ditto Charles Avison's "free" adaptions from Domenico Scarlatti.

I thought the La Folia was the only transcription!

Speaking of Corelli Op.5, I really prefer Lucy van Dael's Naxos performance over Manze's, mainly because the way her violin sounds and the organ accompaniment on the first sonatas? I'm sure my options can't be limited to Naxos, Harmonia Mundi, DG, etc. are there other nice sounding sonatas.

Boy this thread's a strain on my shopping list
frown.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #66 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the La Folia was the only transcription!

Speaking of Corelli Op.5, I really prefer Lucy van Dael's Naxos performance over Manze's, mainly because the way her violin sounds and the organ accompaniment on the first sonatas? I'm sure my options can't be limited to Naxos, Harmonia Mundi, DG, etc. are there other nice sounding sonatas.

Boy this thread's a strain on my shopping list
frown.gif

Banchini's recording of "Geminiani'ed Corelli" surpasses Manze's (same music) exactly for these reasons, at least to my ears. Her playing/phrasing is more inflected also, and the music soars like a song (imo perfect for Corelli.) She made a very successful disc of Corelli Opus 5 (1-6) for harmonia mundi, soulful playing and all, but never finished the other half for some reason. Of course no folia!

My no.1 Corelli player in trio sonatas and solo sonatas remains Enrico Gatti who takes his SWEET time with the music like no other. Oodles (or scoops) of ornamentation on C's "chaste" score
very_evil_smiley.gif
But Geminiani recommended "gravy" on corelli anyway and perhaps that's the reason why C's music looks so clean on the page - he's not giving away his secret recipe!
icon10.gif

May 9, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #68 of 103
May 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #69 of 103

(not available in the US perhaps?)
Arcana always gives a luscious sound - perfect for "gravy smothered corelli"
smily_headphones1.gif

Arcana also published a recording of Corelli Opus 3 by Gatti. The Tactus recordings were all made earlier.

Enrico Gatti

May 9, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #71 of 103
Some really good posts here! I'll limit myself to one set, the Haydn string quartets performed by the Mosaiques Quartet. There are a lot of good recordings of this music out there, but none of them are revelatory in the way this set is. For overall quality, I'd put this set up there with other sets such as the Kondrashin Shostakovich, the Szidon Scriabin, or the Mravinsky Tchaikovsky. While other artists have performed all of this music well, the sets above (to my ear), really "get" the music on a level beyond what most bring to the table. Yes, the Mosaiques' Haydn really is that good.

May 9, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #72 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(not available in the US perhaps?)
Arcana always gives a luscious sound - perfect for "gravy smothered corelli"
smily_headphones1.gif

Arcana also published a recording of Corelli Opus 3 by Gatti. The Tactus recordings were all made earlier.

Enrico Gatti

Unfortunately, it's not easily available here, nor is anything by Gatti. Instead, the easiest alternative is the Manze/Egarr recording of Corelli's Violin Sonatas which are quite enjoyable.

477748.jpg

May 10, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, it's not easily available here, nor is anything by Gatti. Instead, the easiest alternative is the Manze/Egarr recording of Corelli's Violin Sonatas which are quite enjoyable.

477748.jpg

You should also try Corelli Op.5 from Naxos by Lucy van Dael too (y)

I'm pretty sure there's a line of Naxos at your Cd store

May 10, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #74 of 103
I am sure that Manze's Corelli has its virtues (including the fancy, harpsichord-only texture for bc) but I reach more often for Gatti and Banchini when I want something steamy and dreamy which in my opinion is the stuff that Corelli made (g). I have not heard Lucy van Dael's version, but would suggest Monica Huggett and Sonnerie (Virgin verita), too, among non-Italian interpretations. Perhaps Elizabeth Wallfisch and Locatelli Trio, too, which I haven't heard far too long to give a definite thumbs-up.

May 10, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #75 of 103
Masolino,

There you go again! Making me look for something which isn't widely distributed in the US. I'd love to be able to buy the Gatti, but it's backordered for months from the only vendor I can find selling it. I'll have to order it from HMV uk or HMV Japan if I wish to get it, and it becomes extremely costly after all those delivery fees are added in.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back